Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

Default can't login to luks-encypted /home

Hi all,

I have /home mounted as a luks-encrypted volume.

From the command line, everything looks OK - I can create user
directories, use df and du, etc.

However, if I try to logon with gdm with userX, it says it can't find
/home/userX.

Why should that be?

- Mike

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Marc Schwartz

"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" <mjc@avtechpulse.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have /home mounted as a luks-encrypted volume.
>
> From the command line, everything looks OK - I can create user
> directories, use df and du, etc.
>
> However, if I try to logon with gdm with userX, it says it can't find
> /home/userX.
>
> Why should that be?
>
> - Mike

What version of Fedora?

Have you edited /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab with appropriate entries?

If you are not being prompted during a boot for the LUKS passphrase, the
answers to the above questions are likely "No", which is why you cannot
access /home.

If on F7 or F8, then /etc/crypttab should contain a line similar to the
following:

# /home
home /dev/sda7 none luks

where in your situation, '/dev/sda7' is replaced by the proper device and
partition number for your /home partition.

Then in /etc/fstab, you should have a line similar to the following:

/dev/mapper/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2

*AND* be sure to either remove or comment out the default line in
/etc/fstab that typically looks like:

LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

Marc Schwartz wrote:

I have /home mounted as a luks-encrypted volume.

However, if I try to logon with gdm with userX, it says it can't find
/home/userX.

Have you edited /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab with appropriate entries?

Thanks for all the suggestions, Marc! However, it was actually an
selinux problem.

Doing "touch /.autorelabel" cured everything. I should have thought of
that sooner...

- Mike