Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Greg Sieranski

Default Advice on Intel Wireless card

I currently have a t60p with an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter that I have had very minimal
luck getting to work. The madwifi drivers are just not working
consistently enough for me to even bother turning on my wireless. I am
ready to swap the card for either the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. I was just looking for some
advice on which card I should go with. I would really like to be able to
just put the card in, install the firmware drivers and have it work.
What do you guys think?

Thanks,
gs

Old 12-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Greg Sieranski

Greg Sieranski wrote:
I currently have a t60p with an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter that I have had very
minimal luck getting to work. The madwifi drivers are just not working
consistently enough for me to even bother turning on my wireless. I am
ready to swap the card for either the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. I was just looking for some
advice on which card I should go with. I would really like to be able
to just put the card in, install the firmware drivers and have it
work. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
gs

I forgot to mention that I am running F8 on an x86_64 system.

Merry Christmas,
gs

Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 24, 2007 6:21 PM, Greg Sieranski <greg.sieranski@quoininc.com> wrote:
> I currently have a t60p with an Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418
> 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter that I have had very minimal
> luck getting to work. The madwifi drivers are just not working
> consistently enough for me to even bother turning on my wireless. I am
> ready to swap the card for either the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
> or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. I was just looking for some
> advice on which card I should go with. I would really like to be able to
> just put the card in, install the firmware drivers and have it work.
> What do you guys think?
>
> Thanks,
> gs

Hi Greg Sieranski!

I think it might be interesting for you to try an Ubuntu Live CD. My
experiance with another Atheros card is that I immediately was able to
establish WPA-PSK encrypted connection with our router. I was happy.

I think that in the Fedora environment you can probably get there.
Probably four to eight hours of your time to do so. Hopefully someone
out there will make me revise this estimate.

I think that if your research on the card you are thinking of
obtaining is good and your time is worth much to you, then you should
get the card.

I did little Googling on this but here is a link:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a/b/g/n_Wireless_LAN_Mini_Express_Adapter

Have Fun!

Tod

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a/b/g/n_Wireless_LAN_Mini_Express_Adapter