Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Mounting SD card with specific encoding

How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 24, 2007 3:21 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
> filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
> 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
> use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Hi Dotan Cohen!

CP1255 or ISO-8859-8 appear to be Hebrew/Latin document character
sets. The mount command deals with mounting file systems.

You probably would do well to have the Hebrew (probably already loaded
it think I see) and Latin languages loaded into your system.

One would hope that the SD card when connected to your USB adapter and
then plugged into your computer would auto mount. If not, see if your
phone documentation mentions the file system type. You might loose or
need to reformat a card on your camera if you try this but a good
guess would be "mount -t msdos /dev/xxxx /media/myphonepictures"
assuming that xxxx (or xxx) is where the hardware is connected into
the system and that the directory "myphonepictures" exists before the
command is issued. I just placed a flash drive on my system's USB
port and then ran mount. This is the last line printed by mount:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=5 00)

"/dev/sdb1" is where the hardware is - "/media/disk" is where the
files are mounted on the file system and "vfat" is the file system
type.

Always remember to unmount a volume before you physically remove it.

Have fun!

Tod

Old 12-25-2007, 04:47 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 25/12/2007, Tod Merley <todbot88@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2007 3:21 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
> > filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
> > 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
> > use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com
> > http://gibberish.co.il
> > א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> >
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi Dotan Cohen!
>
> CP1255 or ISO-8859-8 appear to be Hebrew/Latin document character
> sets. The mount command deals with mounting file systems.

Thanks, Tod. Yes, those are Hebrew character sets. The Hebrew
filenames show up as question marks, not letters. So if on the Nokia I
make three directories on the card:
EnglishDir
תיקייהעברית
עודאחד2

Then this is what I see on my laptop:
EnglishDir
???????????
??????2

> You probably would do well to have the Hebrew (probably already loaded
> it think I see) and Latin languages loaded into your system.

Of course:
$ locale
LANG=he_IL.utf8
LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8"
LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"
LC_NAME="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="he_IL.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="he_IL.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="he_IL.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="he_IL.utf8"
LC_ALL=he_IL.utf8

> One would hope that the SD card when connected to your USB adapter and
> then plugged into your computer would auto mount.

Actually, it does not. I mount it manually. Why that is, I don't know.
But it does not bother me.

> If not, see if your
> phone documentation mentions the file system type.

Fat32, formated by me on a windows machine.

> You might loose or
> need to reformat a card on your camera if you try this but a good
> guess would be "mount -t msdos /dev/xxxx /media/myphonepictures"
> assuming that xxxx (or xxx) is where the hardware is connected into
> the system and that the directory "myphonepictures" exists before the
> command is issued. I just placed a flash drive on my system's USB
> port and then ran mount. This is the last line printed by mount:
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=5 00)
>
> "/dev/sdb1" is where the hardware is - "/media/disk" is where the
> files are mounted on the file system and "vfat" is the file system
> type.
>
> Always remember to unmount a volume before you physically remove it.

Of course!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Ed Greshko

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
> filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
> 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
> use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have no idea if this will work or not...so let us know if it does...

Have you looked at or tried the iocharset and/or codepage options of the
mount command?

I think you'd want to specify iocharset=iso8859-8,codepage=cp1255

Ed

Old 12-25-2007, 06:20 AM
"Luca/Gmail"

>> How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
>> filename encoding? My Fedora box is UTF-8, but the SD card in my Nokia
>> 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. What mount command should I
>> use? I read man mount and I see no mention of encodings.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> I have no idea if this will work or not...so let us know if it does...
>
> Have you looked at or tried the iocharset and/or codepage options of the
> mount command?
>
> I think you'd want to specify iocharset=iso8859-8,codepage=cp1255
>
> Ed

MS-DOS or Windows filesystems (vfat, ntfs, smbfs, cifs, iso9660, udf) need iocharset for non-ASCII, codepage is needed for vfat and smbfs.
Iocharset should be the same as character set of your locale.
Codepage should be set to codepage number used under MS-DOS in the country.

Luca

Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 24, 2007 9:47 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > guess would be "mount -t msdos /dev/xxxx /media/myphonepictures"
> > assuming that xxxx (or xxx) is where the hardware is connected into
> > the system and that the directory "myphonepictures" exists before the
> > command is issued. I just placed a flash drive on my system's USB
> > port and then ran mount. This is the last line printed by mount:
> >
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=5 00)
> >
> > "/dev/sdb1" is where the hardware is - "/media/disk" is where the
> > files are mounted on the file system and "vfat" is the file system
> > type.
> >
> > Always remember to unmount a volume before you physically remove it.
>
> Of course!
>

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

You are probably way ahead of me on this as well but what I found
(with the help from Ed Greshko and Lucia) is:

The mount command to fix this will be something like:

# mount -o codepage=1225,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1
/media/myphonepictures

# Has a very nice section on "The language selection parameters":
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountFATFileSystems

# Mention of the following:
charset=iso-8859-8 Hebrew Alphabet (ISO)
charset=windows-1255 Hebrew Alphabet (Windows)
# Found at (other Hebrew sets mentioned):
http://a4esl.org/c/charset.html

# Wikipedia on Windows 1225
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1255

# Wikipedia on iso-8859-8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO-8859-8

# Basic info on iso-8859-8 and iso-8859-8-I
http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/ISO-8859-8/index.htm
http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/ISO-8859-8-BIDI/index.htm

I do hope this proves useful!

Tod

Old 12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

> [...]
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi Dotan Cohen!
>
> You are probably way ahead of me on this as well but what I found
> (with the help from Ed Greshko and Lucia) is:
>
> The mount command to fix this will be something like:
>
> # mount -o codepage=1225,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1
> /media/myphonepictures
>
> # Has a very nice section on "The language selection parameters":
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountFATFileSystems
>
> # Mention of the following:
> charset=iso-8859-8 Hebrew Alphabet (ISO)
> charset=windows-1255 Hebrew Alphabet (Windows)
> # Found at (other Hebrew sets mentioned):
> http://a4esl.org/c/charset.html
>
> # Wikipedia on Windows 1225
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1255
>
> # Wikipedia on iso-8859-8
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO-8859-8
>
> # Basic info on iso-8859-8 and iso-8859-8-I

Thank you Tod. I had read the wikipedia articles, but NSLU2 page was
excellent. I still cannot mount, I am getting this:

$ sudo mount -o codepage=1225,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 -t vfat
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

-- snip from the end of dmesg --
[420043.556000] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
[420043.756000] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[420043.804000] input: HID 1241:1177 as /class/input/input44
[420043.804000] input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [HID 1241:1177] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1
[420704.856000] usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 26
[420704.988000] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[420704.988000] scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[420704.988000] usb-storage: device found at 26
[420704.988000] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[420709.988000] usb-storage: device scan complete
[420709.988000] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access Generic USB SD Reader
1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[420709.988000] scsi 7:0:0:1: Direct-Access Generic USB CF Reader
1.01 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[420709.988000] scsi 7:0:0:2: Direct-Access Generic USB SM Reader
1.02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[420709.988000] scsi 7:0:0:3: Direct-Access Generic USB MS Reader
1.03 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[420710.176000] SCSI device sdb: 1984000 512-byte hdwr sectors (1016 MB)
[420710.180000] sdb: Write Protect is off
[420710.180000] sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[420710.180000] sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
[420710.180000] SCSI device sdb: 1984000 512-byte hdwr sectors (1016 MB)
[420710.180000] sdb: Write Protect is off
[420710.180000] sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[420710.180000] sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
[420710.180000] sdb: sdb1
[420710.184000] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
[420710.184000] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[420710.188000] sd 7:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
[420710.188000] sd 7:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
[420710.188000] sd 7:0:0:2: Attached scsi removable disk sdd
[420710.188000] sd 7:0:0:2: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
[420710.192000] sd 7:0:0:3: Attached scsi removable disk sde
[420710.192000] sd 7:0:0:3: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
[420951.876000] Unable to load NLS charset cp1225
[420951.876000] FAT: codepage cp1225 not found

Might I need to install codepage cp1225? Is that something
installable? I am still reviewing the NSLU2 page to see what I can
come up with. I have tried narrowing down my options, and found this:
$ sudo mount -o codepage=1225 /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

$ sudo mount -o /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
mount: can't find /media/usb in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
$

So it's the -o that seems to me to have been problematic. Man mount
shows me that some -o options must be specified in /etc/fstab to work,
however, I cannot specify _all_ the USB keychains that I will ever
connect in fstab! I'd like to be able to connect any USB memory and
have it 'just work', in fact, the wife demands it!

Note also that I cannot unmount the device once mounted as above:
$ sudo umount -a
umount: /home: device is busy
umount: /dev: device is busy
umount: /proc/bus/usb: device is busy
umount: /var/run: device is busy
umount: /sys: device is busy
umount: /: device is busy

Note: I made a mistake... This is an Ubuntu system, not Fedora. I feel
like a jerk as this is the second time that I've written to the Fedora
list with an Ubuntu problem. I distro hop a lot, and sometimes loose
track of what is installed where. I would still appreciate the wisdom
of the Fedora gurus, Tom and everybody, and if I deserve a "go bug the
Ubuntu list you traitor" then go ahead and flame me. I still need to
fix this problem, though!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Ed Greshko

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> [420951.876000] Unable to load NLS charset cp1225
> [420951.876000] FAT: codepage cp1225 not found

Just for fun, could you try 1255? A google of "hebrew codepage" returned
that number instead of 1225.

Ed

Old 12-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Ed Greshko

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> [420951.876000] Unable to load NLS charset cp1225
>> [420951.876000] FAT: codepage cp1225 not found
>
> Just for fun, could you try 1255? A google of "hebrew codepage" returned
> that number instead of 1225.

FWIW, http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/codepages.html lists other potential
codepage choices for Hebrew should the codepage used in mount not be
"windows" exactly.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 AM
"Tod Merley"

---- typos corrected above - below should be "codepage=1225" -----------

> [...]
> umount: /home: device is busy
> umount: /dev: device is busy
> umount: /proc/bus/usb: device is busy
> umount: /var/run: device is busy
> umount: /sys: device is busy
> umount: /: device is busy
>
> Note: I made a mistake... This is an Ubuntu system, not Fedora. I feel
> like a jerk as this is the second time that I've written to the Fedora
> list with an Ubuntu problem. I distro hop a lot, and sometimes loose
> track of what is installed where. I would still appreciate the wisdom
> of the Fedora gurus, Tom and everybody, and if I deserve a "go bug the
> Ubuntu list you traitor" then go ahead and flame me. I still need to
> fix this problem, though!
>

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

As Ed Greshko points out my dyslexia has soured the soup. I saw 1255
but typed 1225 (twice!). That little change may well fix it.

I regret the typo.

The mount command you used kind of scares me. What I think you wanted
to do is to unmount your device located at /dev/sdb1. What you told
your system to do was to unmount ALL file systems found in fstab!! It
is good that the system will not unmount devices in use, you would
have lost it all.

To unmount /dev/sdb1 issue: umount /dev/sdb1.

Actually I used to contribute to both the Ubuntu and the Fedora lists.
I have both on this machine. I tend to use Fedora when connected to
the Internet since I believe that it's pretty good implementation of
SELinux makes me a bit more secure in this more hostile world. I am
glad to see this thread here since many languages are used by those
using Fedora.

The "messages" are a bit differant though. Here is what happens when
I plug in my flash drive:

[root@localhost dev]# tail /var/log/messages
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 2013184 512-byte
hardware sectors (1031 MB)
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive
cache: write through
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 2013184 512-byte
hardware sectors (1031 MB)
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive
cache: write through
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sdb: sdb1
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Dec 25 19:34:35 localhost kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Dec 25 19:34:38 localhost hald: mounted /dev/sdb1 on behalf of uid 500

The last line is hald doing the automount.

You may find the command lsusb -v useful. Also (from /dev before and
after inserting the flash drive):
[root@localhost dev]# ls -l sd*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 0 2007-12-25 07:20 sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 1 2007-12-25 07:20 sda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 2 2007-12-25 07:20 sda2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 3 2007-12-25 15:20 sda3
[root@localhost dev]# ls -l sd*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 0 2007-12-25 07:20 sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 1 2007-12-25 07:20 sda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 2 2007-12-25 07:20 sda2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 3 2007-12-25 15:20 sda3
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 16 2007-12-25 19:34 sdb
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2007-12-25 19:34 sdb1

Well, I am rambling! Did not sleep well last night.

After I get joined up on the BibleTime team I will re-join the Ubuntu list.

Have Fun!

Tod