Old 12-24-2007, 07:30 PM
elk dolk

Default Desktop effects could not be enabled

Hi All,

I have Fedora 8 and want to enable desktop effects , compiz-fusion,compiz-fusion-extras-gnome , compiz-fusion-gnome, compiz-gnome, compiz-manager, compiz-fusion-extras are already installed ,when I try to enable desktop effects (Preferences->Look&Feel->Desktop effects) it says : Desktop effects could not be enabled

why?

Old 12-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Sudheer

elk dolk wrote:

Hi All,

I have Fedora 8 and want to enable desktop effects ,
compiz-fusion,compiz-fusion-extras-gnome , compiz-fusion-gnome,
compiz-gnome, compiz-manager, compiz-fusion-extras are already
installed ,when I try to enable desktop effects
(Preferences->Look&Feel->Desktop effects) it says : Desktop effects
could not be enabled

why?

Most probably because you have not installed the drivers that fully
support for your video adapter.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:40 PM
elk dolk

I have downloaded the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce FX5500* video card.

Sudheer <sudheer.s@binaryvibes.co.in> wrote: Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:05:04 +0530
> I have Fedora 8 and want to enable desktop effects ,
> compiz-fusion,compiz-fusion-extras-gnome , compiz-fusion-gnome,
> compiz-gnome, compiz-manager, compiz-fusion-extras are already
> installed ,when I try to enable desktop effects
> (Preferences->Look&Feel->Desktop effects) it says : Desktop effects
> could not be enabled
>

> why?

Most probably because you have not installed the drivers
that fully
support for your video adapter.

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Sudheer

elk dolk wrote:

I have downloaded the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 video card.

Did you install it?

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:05:04 +0530
From: Sudheer <sudheer.s@binaryvibes.co.in>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Abhishek Rane

have you downloaded the proprietary drivers from the NVIDIA site or
livna repository?

take a look at this FAQ

link:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#nvidia

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:05:04 +0530

From: Sudheer <sudheer.s@binaryvibes.co.in>

To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>

Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM
"Alan"

> have you downloaded the proprietary drivers from the NVIDIA site or
> livna repository?
> take a look at this FAQ
> link:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#nvidia

If you use the proprietary drivers and their xconfig utility, make sure
you remove the modules section. (If the modules section is not there, it
loads all of them.) You may want to look at the command line options for
the nvidia xconfig routine. There are a lot more options involved that
are useful if you are using compiz-fusion. They don't have a "turn it all
on" option, unfortunately.)

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:05:04 +0530
From: Sudheer <sudheer.s@binaryvibes.co.in>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>

elk dolk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have Fedora 8 and want to enable desktop effects ,
> compiz-fusion,compiz-fusion-extras-gnome , compiz-fusion-gnome,
> compiz-gnome, compiz-manager, compiz-fusion-extras are already
> installed ,when I try to enable desktop effects
> (Preferences->Look&Feel->Desktop effects) it says : Desktop
effects
> could not be enabled
>

> why?

Most probably because you have not installed the drivers that fully
support for your video adapter.

I am a happy user of the Nvidia driver available from their web site
and have used the same driver, a bash file with a binary part, on both
F7 and F8. I also have a Application -> System Tools -> Nvidia Control
Panel which allows me to tune what I want to see on my system.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-25-2007, 06:06 PM
elk dolk

Thanx for all comments,

I have downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg.run from NVIDIA site and run it , now how can I remove it and install the driver from livna?

Alan wrote:
>> have you downloaded the proprietary drivers from the NVIDIA site or
>> livna repository?
>> take a look at this FAQ
>> link:
>> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#nvidia
>>

>> elk dolk wrote:
>>
>>> I have downloaded the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 video card.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com