Old 12-24-2007, 04:53 PM
John Kodis

Default Need a fetchmail guru (JoAnne D.?) who's been using it to pop his/her gmail

Hi Gene,

While I'm not Joanne, my first question would be "Have you tried
'fetchmail --all'?"

Happy holidays,

-- John.

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:28:19AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> That is what I've been doing but while I was on the road starting a couple of
> months ago, I'd apparently left a fwd stanza operational at gmail to fwd it
> to a spam-trap bypassing address at vz.
>
> Unforch, vz has their own private version of a spam filter bouncer that, in
> the last couple of months, managed to leave about 4500 msgs at gmail. And
> they won't admit its even there!
>
> I called vz and lawyered up on them based on Common Carrier FCC rules, and the
> filter got shut down about 10 minutes later, which is good, but the incoming
> headers still said it was being transported thru vz. So I logged into gmail
> with FF for the first time in several months and found the fwd kit. I don't
> recall doing it, but the info was correct so I must have. Hello CRS?
>
> So I killed the fwd kit at gmail and moved all the bounced stuff back to the
> inbox, figuring fetchmail would suck it and that would be the end of it. 4
> things though, 90% of them are dups by the time they get sorted here, and
> fetchmail is reporting about an 85% failure to flush rate in the early part
> of the waiting msgs it processes in each new daemon wakeup. Toss in that
> right now, webmail says there's about 3350 messages left to suck after around
> 19 hours (with two power failures here of about 9 hours total duration), but
> when I set the verbosity up on fetchmail, it is only getting a much smaller
> number between 800 and 1300 for a msg count from gmail, and this number is
> refreshed to a new value when it sucks the last of the currently being
> processed list. Oh, 4th, did I mention its slower than molasses, probably
> because of spamc here.
>
> Is this "number of messages waiting" discrepancy mainly the disconnect between
> the webmail interface, and the pop interface at gmail, or do we actually have
> a fetchmail bug here?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Now my EMOTIONAL RESOURCES are heavily committed to 23% of the SMELTING
> and REFINING industry of the state of NEVADA!!

John Kodis Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
Phone: 301-286-7376 Fax: 301-286-1771

Old 12-24-2007, 10:03 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 24/12/2007, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007, John Kodis wrote:
> >Hi Gene,
> >
> >While I'm not Joanne, my first question would be "Have you tried
> >'fetchmail --all'?"
> >
> Humm, good Q. Its launched at boot time by this line in rc.local:
> su gene -c "fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/gene/.fetchmailrc"
> .fetchmailrc looks benign wrt that option. It normally just sucks what is
> there and unread. It will all be unread cuz I don't use the webmail
> interface.

If you poll via POP3, downloaded messages are marked as read until
they flushed (=deleted) unless you tell fetchmail to --keep them. In
case of an error, they are not flushed, but still marked as read. You
need fetchmail --all then.

If you know there are thousands of messages on the server and
fetchmail is interrupted frequently, set the --fetchlimit parameter to
the max.number of messages to download in one run.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Vikram Goyal

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 06:13:02PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Humm, good Q. Its launched at boot time by this line in rc.local:
> >> su gene -c "fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/gene/.fetchmailrc"
> >> .fetchmailrc looks benign wrt that option. It normally just sucks what is
> >> there and unread. It will all be unread cuz I don't use the webmail
> >> interface.
> >
> >If you poll via POP3, downloaded messages are marked as read until
> >they flushed (=deleted) unless you tell fetchmail to --keep them. In
> >case of an error, they are not flushed, but still marked as read. You
> >need fetchmail --all then.
> >
> >If you know there are thousands of messages on the server and
> >fetchmail is interrupted frequently, set the --fetchlimit parameter to
> >the max.number of messages to download in one run.
>
> You folks are better than the manpages! You write in english.
>
> Thanks. And you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

Give this a try.

~/.fetchmailrc

set logfile /home/vikram/.fetchmail.log
set daemon 900

poll pop.gmail.com
#poll imap.gmail.com
proto pop3
#proto imap
port 995
#port 993
# timeout 100
user "something@gmail.com"
pass "XXXXXXXXXXXX"
is gene
no keep
fetchall
#expunge 50
expunge 25
flush
ssl

--
vikram...
^^'^^||root||^^^'^^
--
Q: How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job?
A: Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 14:06 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I think it will eventually get it all, but with SA in the chain, lets
> just say its slow and let the imagination come up with descriptive
> ways to describe how slow it is. With 3k+ messages to go, it will not
> finish today.

The obvious question: Why not disable spam assassin for the moment,
dredge in all your mail as fast as you can, filter expected mail to
their own folders, then assess the remainder for spam.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 12:44 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> One other thing I'm noticing while in the process of this little
> catchup exercise, is that quite often the kmail 'remove dups' function
> isn't catching near all of them. The reason is that the subject
> lines, particularly those that were relayed through vz, are often
> mangled by additional spaces or tabs at about the 60th character. Is
> this something I should yell at vz over, or just a fact of life?

Well, subjects should not be changed in transit. The only changes that
should happen are adding a re when replying, or fwd when forwarding, or
rewording the subject if you've radically changed tack, but all of
that's done on the client doing that action.

So, yes, I'd complain. Then, I'd ditch the notion of using an ISP's
crappy mail system when you can easily use a much better server,
elsewhere. I only use mine's SMTP server. According to fetchmail, my
ISP's POP3 server regularly goes on strike for a whole day, or longer.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> I'd ditch the notion of using an ISP's crappy mail system when you
>> can easily use a much better server, elsewhere.

Gene Heskett:
> Yeah, I'm seeing hour plus outages here. And you can't tell whats
> going on cuz they have the ping response and traceroute responders
> disabled, security ya know. vz, being in bed with M$, has to do all
> that. Dumb...

To be honest, pinging is a less than adequate test. It only tests one
aspect of networking. It certainly doesn't test anything to do with a
mail server (the server software, that part that actually relates to
"mail" serving).

I wouldn't be all that surprised if they'd turned off too much (like the
hapless users who'll foolishly block *all* ICMP traffic).

> Ask an email related question on the tech support line (now there is
> an oxymoron for you, "tech support") and mention kmail, then you have
> to tell them its linux & they say "whazzat, we don't support anything
> but winderz and macs." About that time I get pi$$y and point out that
> a std protocol is a std protocol. And that they aren't following it.

For larger ISPs, I recommend lying. Pretend you're using Outlook. The
usual webmonkeys can't access logs (they just read a prepared script at
you, or make a fault log entry for someone else to fix) or wouldn't know
how to interpret them.

I prefer the smaller ISPs, ones that own themselves. You've more chance
of actually talking to a tech that maintains their gear. And even more
chance that they use Linux, either because they're an enthusiast or they
use Linux servers.

I find it amusing that it seems the smaller ISPs *need* less technical
support staff. I can only imagine it's because they actually keep their
gear working. ;-)

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.