Old 12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Stop anacron?

How can I stop anacron from running if cron has already run just before?

Or if they would each save to different log files I guess that would
work too.

As it is if the computer is running at four in the morning both are
saved to a file that is sent to me and I wind up reading through
essentially the same set of data twice. A minor thing I suppose but I
would prefer getting it only once.

Bob Goodwin

Old 12-25-2007, 01:59 AM
John Poelstra

How can I stop anacron from running if cron has already run just before?

Or if they would each save to different log files I guess that would
work too.

As it is if the computer is running at four in the morning both are
saved to a file that is sent to me and I wind up reading through
essentially the same set of data twice. A minor thing I suppose but I
would prefer getting it only once.

Bob Goodwin

Some people (like me) simply disable anacron for this reason on all of
my boxes. None of my cron jobs are so important that they need to be
run if they missed their originally scheduled time--particularly on laptops.

chkconfig --del anacron

Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 AM
inode0

On Dec 24, 2007 8:59 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra@redhat.com> wrote:
> Bob Goodwin said the following on 12/24/2007 08:34 AM Pacific Time:
> >
> > How can I stop anacron from running if cron has already run just before?
> >
> > Or if they would each save to different log files I guess that would
> > work too.
> >
> > As it is if the computer is running at four in the morning both are
> > saved to a file that is sent to me and I wind up reading through
> > essentially the same set of data twice. A minor thing I suppose but I
> > would prefer getting it only once.
> >
> > Bob Goodwin
> >

> Some people (like me) simply disable anacron for this reason on all of
> my boxes. None of my cron jobs are so important that they need to be
> run if they missed their originally scheduled time--particularly on laptops.
>
> chkconfig --del anacron

I find it especially annoying on laptops to have it run unexpectedly
and also disable it on all systems. After major updates or after
cronjobs haven't run in a long time I do occasionally just run
"anacron -f -d -n" to execute them when it is convenient for me.

John

Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 18:59 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Bob Goodwin said the following on 12/24/2007 08:34 AM Pacific Time:
> >
> > How can I stop anacron from running if cron has already run just before?
> >
> > Or if they would each save to different log files I guess that would
> > work too.
> >
> > As it is if the computer is running at four in the morning both are
> > saved to a file that is sent to me and I wind up reading through
> > essentially the same set of data twice. A minor thing I suppose but I
> > would prefer getting it only once.
> >
> > Bob Goodwin
> >

> Some people (like me) simply disable anacron for this reason on all of
> my boxes. None of my cron jobs are so important that they need to be
> run if they missed their originally scheduled time--particularly on laptops.
>
> chkconfig --del anacron

I think : chkconfig anacron off

would be the less traumatic thing to do.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Bob Goodwin

--

The obvious choice to me would be to turn off cron and let anacron run
since I believe it comes on sometime [programmable] after boot. My

However I believe cron must be left on or anacron won't run?

BobG

Old 12-25-2007, 06:22 PM
inode0

On Dec 25, 2007 8:46 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> The obvious choice to me would be to turn off cron and let anacron run
> since I believe it comes on sometime [programmable] after boot. My
> problem being that I normally shut the computer down at night and get
> up early on the morning sometimes before and sometimes after cron runs.
>
> However I believe cron must be left on or anacron won't run?

You could always just change the time cron trips its routine
processing by changing /etc/crontab to a time more suitable for your
needs too.

John

Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Bob Goodwin

inode0 wrote:

The obvious choice to me would be to turn off cron and let anacron run
since I believe it comes on sometime [programmable] after boot. My
problem being that I normally shut the computer down at night and get
up early on the morning sometimes before and sometimes after cron runs.

However I believe cron must be left on or anacron won't run?

You could always just change the time cron trips its routine
processing by changing /etc/crontab to a time more suitable for your
needs too.

John

Yes, I have been considering doing that too. If I set cron to run
at 07:00 I could stop anacron and would probably have a log entry
most every day.

I just thought I might be missing something that everyone else knew
about ...

Bob Goodwin.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
John Cornelius

Bob Goodwin wrote:

inode0 wrote:

[...]

Anacron is only supposed to run jobs that were supposed to be run by
cron but were not for some reason. There may be a configuration error in
/etc/anacrontab.

--jc

Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Ed Greshko

John Cornelius wrote:

> Anacron is only supposed to run jobs that were supposed to be run by
> cron but were not for some reason. There may be a configuration error in
> /etc/anacrontab.

Which is kind of why I'm wondering why some folks seem to be having problems
in this area.

I run F8 as a Vmware guest and it can be days before I run F8 and I never
see any of the issues that are raised. Just doesn't happen. I don't get
multiple runs of cron jobs.