Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Gene Heskett

Default Need a fetchmail guru (JoAnne D.?) who's been using it to pop his/her gmail

Greetings;

That is what I've been doing but while I was on the road starting a couple of
months ago, I'd apparently left a fwd stanza operational at gmail to fwd it
to a spam-trap bypassing address at vz.

Unforch, vz has their own private version of a spam filter bouncer that, in
the last couple of months, managed to leave about 4500 msgs at gmail. And
they won't admit its even there!

I called vz and lawyered up on them based on Common Carrier FCC rules, and the
filter got shut down about 10 minutes later, which is good, but the incoming
headers still said it was being transported thru vz. So I logged into gmail
with FF for the first time in several months and found the fwd kit. I don't
recall doing it, but the info was correct so I must have. Hello CRS?

So I killed the fwd kit at gmail and moved all the bounced stuff back to the
inbox, figuring fetchmail would suck it and that would be the end of it. 4
things though, 90% of them are dups by the time they get sorted here, and
fetchmail is reporting about an 85% failure to flush rate in the early part
of the waiting msgs it processes in each new daemon wakeup. Toss in that
right now, webmail says there's about 3350 messages left to suck after around
19 hours (with two power failures here of about 9 hours total duration), but
when I set the verbosity up on fetchmail, it is only getting a much smaller
number between 800 and 1300 for a msg count from gmail, and this number is
refreshed to a new value when it sucks the last of the currently being
processed list. Oh, 4th, did I mention its slower than molasses, probably
because of spamc here.

Is this "number of messages waiting" discrepancy mainly the disconnect between
the webmail interface, and the pop interface at gmail, or do we actually have
a fetchmail bug here?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, John Kodis wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>While I'm not Joanne, my first question would be "Have you tried
>'fetchmail --all'?"

Humm, good Q. Its launched at boot time by this line in rc.local:
su gene -c "fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/gene/.fetchmailrc"
.fetchmailrc looks benign wrt that option. It normally just sucks what is
there and unread. It will all be unread cuz I don't use the webmail
interface.

I'm polling 3 different servers, all with essentually the same options ex pw
and username of course.

I think it will eventually get it all, but with SA in the chain, lets just say
its slow and let the imagination come up with descriptive ways to describe
how slow it is. With 3k+ messages to go, it will not finish today.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Les Mikesell

Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

I've used fetchmail with gmail for a long time without problems but
never let it get too far behind. Gmail is set to 'archive' messages as
they are downloaded via pop so they disappear from the inbox as viewed
by the web interface but are still available for searches.

But, since gmail now permits imap access, why not go that route instead
of having to download/store the messages yourself?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On 24/12/2007, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Monday 24 December 2007, John Kodis wrote:
>> >Hi Gene,
>> >
>> >While I'm not Joanne, my first question would be "Have you tried
>> >'fetchmail --all'?"
>>
>> Humm, good Q. Its launched at boot time by this line in rc.local:
>> su gene -c "fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc /home/gene/.fetchmailrc"
>> .fetchmailrc looks benign wrt that option. It normally just sucks what is
>> there and unread. It will all be unread cuz I don't use the webmail
>> interface.
>
>If you poll via POP3, downloaded messages are marked as read until
>they flushed (=deleted) unless you tell fetchmail to --keep them. In
>case of an error, they are not flushed, but still marked as read. You
>need fetchmail --all then.
>
>If you know there are thousands of messages on the server and
>fetchmail is interrupted frequently, set the --fetchlimit parameter to
>the max.number of messages to download in one run.

You folks are better than the manpages! You write in english.

Thanks. And you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> So I killed the fwd kit at gmail and moved all the bounced stuff back to
>> the inbox, figuring fetchmail would suck it and that would be the end of
>> it. 4 things though, 90% of them are dups by the time they get sorted
>> here, and fetchmail is reporting about an 85% failure to flush rate in the
>> early part of the waiting msgs it processes in each new daemon wakeup.
>> Toss in that right now, webmail says there's about 3350 messages left to
>> suck after around 19 hours (with two power failures here of about 9 hours
>> total duration), but when I set the verbosity up on fetchmail, it is only
>> getting a much smaller number between 800 and 1300 for a msg count from
>> gmail, and this number is refreshed to a new value when it sucks the last
>> of the currently being processed list. Oh, 4th, did I mention its slower
>> than molasses, probably because of spamc here.
>>
>> Is this "number of messages waiting" discrepancy mainly the disconnect
>> between the webmail interface, and the pop interface at gmail, or do we
>> actually have a fetchmail bug here?
>
>I've used fetchmail with gmail for a long time without problems but
>never let it get too far behind. Gmail is set to 'archive' messages as
>they are downloaded via pop so they disappear from the inbox as viewed
>by the web interface but are still available for searches.
>
>But, since gmail now permits imap access, why not go that route instead
>of having to download/store the messages yourself?

Cuz then I'd have to read lkml from firefox, whereas everything is now handled
by kmail. Habits are hard to break.

Have a very Merry Christmas, Les & thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Les Mikesell

Gene Heskett wrote:

But, since gmail now permits imap access, why not go that route instead
of having to download/store the messages yourself?

Cuz then I'd have to read lkml from firefox, whereas everything is now handled
by kmail. Habits are hard to break.

I'm missing something here. Why can't you send everything to gmail and
read from anywhere with any mailer that does imap? I'm still using
fetchmail and my own imap server but only because I set it up before
gmail supported imap.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> But, since gmail now permits imap access, why not go that route instead
>>> of having to download/store the messages yourself?
>>
>> Cuz then I'd have to read lkml from firefox, whereas everything is now
>> handled by kmail. Habits are hard to break.
>
>I'm missing something here. Why can't you send everything to gmail and
>read from anywhere with any mailer that does imap? I'm still using
>fetchmail and my own imap server but only because I set it up before
>gmail supported imap.

I have embarked on the journey to imap on 2 or 3 occasions here, but have
totally failed to make kmail, running as a normal user, even find the imap
repo. And its a possibility I didn't have that setup correctly either.
There needs to be an 'Imap for big dummies' book written I guess.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, Vikram Goyal wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 06:13:02PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >If you poll via POP3, downloaded messages are marked as read until
>> >they flushed (=deleted) unless you tell fetchmail to --keep them. In
>> >case of an error, they are not flushed, but still marked as read. You
>> >need fetchmail --all then.
>> >
>> >If you know there are thousands of messages on the server and
>> >fetchmail is interrupted frequently, set the --fetchlimit parameter to
>> >the max.number of messages to download in one run.
>>
>> You folks are better than the manpages! You write in english.
>>
>> Thanks. And you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.
>
>Give this a try.
>
>~/.fetchmailrc
>
>set logfile /home/vikram/.fetchmail.log
>set daemon 900
>
>poll pop.gmail.com
>#poll imap.gmail.com
> proto pop3
> #proto imap
> port 995
> #port 993
># timeout 100
> user "something@gmail.com"
> pass "XXXXXXXXXXXX"
> is gene
> no keep
> fetchall
> #expunge 50
> expunge 25
> flush
> ssl

And this I assume will grab 25 at a pop and pass them off to procmail? I have
this set as the MDA at the top of that file. I have mine set for

defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d gene"
set no bouncemail
set no spambounce
set daemon 90

Then the gmail stanza:
poll pop.gmail.com with proto pop3
user ZZZZZZZZZZ with password XXXXXXXXXXX is gene
options ssl

and no port # is spec'd. Is not the default ssl port # 995?

I'll fix it up and restart fetchmail for grins, thanks Vikram & Merry
Christmas to you and yours.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 25 December 2007, Tim wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 14:06 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I think it will eventually get it all, but with SA in the chain, lets
>> just say its slow and let the imagination come up with descriptive
>> ways to describe how slow it is. With 3k+ messages to go, it will not
>> finish today.
>
>The obvious question: Why not disable spam assassin for the moment,
>dredge in all your mail as fast as you can, filter expected mail to
>their own folders, then assess the remainder for spam.

I thought of that as it was stuck on gmail and not pulling the main accounts,
so I added a per session fetchlimit of 10 for a trial. It looks as if I can
raise that a bit and still get the main account in a fairly timely manner.

So it will catch up, eventually...

Thanks Tim.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 December 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Cuz then I'd have to read lkml from firefox, whereas everything is now
>>> handled by kmail. Habits are hard to break.
>>
>>I'm missing something here. Why can't you send everything to gmail and
>>read from anywhere with any mailer that does imap? I'm still using
>>fetchmail and my own imap server but only because I set it up before
>>gmail supported imap.
>
>I have embarked on the journey to imap on 2 or 3 occasions here, but have
>totally failed to make kmail, running as a normal user, even find the imap
>repo. And its a possibility I didn't have that setup correctly either.
>There needs to be an 'Imap for big dummies' book written I guess.

One other thing I'm noticing while in the process of this little catchup
exercise, is that quite often the kmail 'remove dups' function isn't catching
near all of them. The reason is that the subject lines, particularly those
that were relayed through vz, are often mangled by additional spaces or tabs
at about the 60th character. Is this something I should yell at vz over, or
just a fact of life?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)