Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Jim Duda

Default FC6 to FC7 Upgrade, some package not updated

I did an FC6 to FC7 upgrade via yum recently. The "cleanup" portion of
the upgrade crashed. I learned from this list to use package-cleanup
--orphans to find all the odd balls.

I've cleaned up most things, but I'm struggling with a few. For
example, libdvdread still comes from fc6 insted of fc7. If I attempt to
remove libdvdread, dozens of packages will get removed. I can certainly
reinstall them, but, I'm wondering if there is another package-cleanup
trick I can use to resolve some of these issues.

Example:

linux# yum list libdvdread
Installed Packages
libdvdread.i386 0.9.7-4.fc6.at
installed

Available Packages
libdvdread.i386 0.9.7-2.fc7 fedora

Can I somehow swap out the libdvdread package without deleting it and
all of it's dependencies?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM
David Boles

Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Todd Zullinger

Jim Duda wrote:
> I did an FC6 to FC7 upgrade via yum recently. The "cleanup" portion
> of the upgrade crashed. I learned from this list to use
> package-cleanup --orphans to find all the odd balls.
>
> I've cleaned up most things, but I'm struggling with a few. For
> example, libdvdread still comes from fc6 insted of fc7.

This is caused by the atrpms repo having a newer libdvdread package
for FC6 than the fedora repo has for F7. (0.9.7-4.fc6.at >
0.9.7-2.fc7)

> If I attempt to remove libdvdread, dozens of packages will get
> removed. I can certainly reinstall them, but, I'm wondering if
> there is another package-cleanup trick I can use to resolve some of
> these issues.

I can think of a few ways (disclaimer: I haven't had my morning sugar
intake yet). You could use rpm -e --nodeps libdvdread to erase the
libdvdread package without touching any dependencies. Then yum
install libdvdread to bring it back.

Or, you could use the yum-allowdowngrade plugin which adds an
--allow-downgrade option to yum. Then you could try to install the
"older" libdvdread using yum --allow-downgrade libdvdread-0.9.7-2.fc7

Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Jim Duda

Todd,

Thanks for the advice, I found that rpm -e worked fine. My installation
appears clean now without any orphans or missing dependencies.

Jim