Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Dick Holland

Default Linksys KiSS 1600 PC-LINK equivalent?

Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for the Linksys KiSS 1600 Win/MAC
PC-LINK product?

--
Dick Holland

Old 12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Neil Cherry

Dick Holland wrote:

Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for the Linksys KiSS 1600 Win/MAC
PC-LINK product?

Start by looking at Myth TV ( http://www.mythtv.org/ ) or LinuxMCE
( http://linuxmce.com/ ) I think you'll find links at both places
for purchasing ready made systems.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Dick Holland

> Dick Holland wrote:
> > Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for the Linksys KiSS 1600 Win/MAC
> > PC-LINK product?
>
> Start by looking at Myth TV ( http://www.mythtv.org/ ) or LinuxMCE
> ( http://linuxmce.com/ ) I think you'll find links at both places
> for purchasing ready made systems.
>

> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
> http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
> Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

TVM for the pointers. But I think they're not what I'm looking for.

The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing
software.

Someone mentioned somewhere "kissd", but it seems to be a dormant
project. Anyone had any experience with it?

--
Dick Holland

Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 PM
"Klaasjan Brand"

The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing

software.

If it's using the UPNP A/V protocol you could look at the ushare package.

Klaasjan

Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Neil Cherry

Dick Holland wrote:

Dick Holland wrote:

Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for the Linksys KiSS 1600 Win/MAC
PC-LINK product?

Start by looking at Myth TV ( http://www.mythtv.org/ ) or LinuxMCE
( http://linuxmce.com/ ) I think you'll find links at both places
for purchasing ready made systems.

TVM for the pointers. But I think they're not what I'm looking for.

The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing
software.

Someone mentioned somewhere "kissd", but it seems to be a dormant
project. Anyone had any experience with it?

Sorry I thought you were looking for the whole kit-n-kabootle.

Okay since I'm a little confused please tell me what the KiSS 1600
is for and we can start the discussion there. I'm guessing that I
probably have some kind of solution for you but need a starting
point for the discussion.

The stuff I have, NLSU running TwonkyVision (media server), a
Linksys WMSL11B (media play, plays music) and a DSM320 (soon
to have the DSM320RD, media player, play video and music).
BTW, LinuxMCE and MythTV can be clients as wells as servers.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Dick Holland

> Dick Holland wrote:
>
> >> Start by looking at Myth TV ( http://www.mythtv.org/ ) or LinuxMCE
> >> ( http://linuxmce.com/ ) I think you'll find links at both places
> >> for purchasing ready made systems.
>
> > TVM for the pointers. But I think they're not what I'm looking for.
> >
> > The Linksys PC-LINK product is I think just a file-sharer that runs in
> > Win/MAC. I'm told that Windows Vista can do it automatically from Media
> > Player; I'm looking for a Linux equivalent of such file-sharing
> > software.
> >
> > Someone mentioned somewhere "kissd", but it seems to be a dormant
> > project. Anyone had any experience with it?
>
> Sorry I thought you were looking for the whole kit-n-kabootle.
>
> Okay since I'm a little confused please tell me what the KiSS 1600
> is for and we can start the discussion there. I'm guessing that I
> probably have some kind of solution for you but need a starting
> point for the discussion.
>
> The stuff I have, NLSU running TwonkyVision (media server), a
> Linksys WMSL11B (media play, plays music) and a DSM320 (soon
> to have the DSM320RD, media player, play video and music).
> BTW, LinuxMCE and MythTV can be clients as wells as servers.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
> http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
> Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

The KiSS 1600 is a CD/DVD player which plugs into a TV set and has a
WiFi and wired ethernet NIC, so you can hang it on your LAN. Linksys
supply a piece of file-sharing software called PC-LINK which runs under
Win & MAC. On my boxes, I run Fedora 6 on one, and CentOS 5 on the
other, so I'm looking for an equivalent to PC-LINK for Linux.

I have seen reference elsewhere to a daemon called "kissd" which seems
to do just the job, but it appears to be a dead project.

--
Dick Holland

Old 12-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Neil Cherry

Dick Holland wrote:

Dick Holland wrote:

Dick Holland wrote:

[...]

I've found kissd for the 1500 still don't know enough about it
to answer you're question but I'm still guessing that one of
the software packages like Twonky or Slimserver may work. I'll
further look at kissd and see what it's about. Take a further
link at my upnp/media server page to see if there is anything
else that might be helpful. If you find anything let me know
and I'll update the page too.

http://www.linuxha.com/other/media/

Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Neil Cherry

Dick Holland wrote:

I have seen reference elsewhere to a daemon called "kissd" which seems
to do just the job, but it appears to be a dead project.

BTW, have you seen:

http://www.vidartysse.net/kissdx/