Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Jim Cornette

Default Networkmanager works ... 'service network start' locks up system

I have a problem where the boot process will hang after initializing the
network with service network start or if I had the service started in
the runlevel. The problem does not happen if I allow NetworkManager do
the networking.

Where would this sort of bug be best filed? Is there a specific package
to file a problem with service starting issues?

Thanks!
Jim

--
When your memory goes, forget it!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 23, 2007 7:02 PM, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@insight.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a problem where the boot process will hang after initializing the
> network with service network start or if I had the service started in
> the runlevel. The problem does not happen if I allow NetworkManager do
> the networking.
>
> Where would this sort of bug be best filed? Is there a specific package
> to file a problem with service starting issues?
>
> Thanks!
> Jim

Hi Jim!

You probably already know what follows but it is prudent that I
mention this before I put what little I do know in the direction of
you filing a bug.

The NetworkManager and Network services are exclusive, they can/should
not be run together since they affect the same settings but are nearly
opposite in purpose.

You need to make one change to the following tutorial by using this link:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/easy_enter_bug.cgi

Ensted of the "beta" link mentioned in the text:

Have Fun!

Tod

Old 12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Jim Cornette

Tod Merley wrote:

I have a problem where the boot process will hang after initializing the
network with service network start or if I had the service started in
the runlevel. The problem does not happen if I allow NetworkManager do
the networking.

Where would this sort of bug be best filed? Is there a specific package
to file a problem with service starting issues?

Thanks!
Jim

Hi Jim!

You probably already know what follows but it is prudent that I
mention this before I put what little I do know in the direction of
you filing a bug.

The NetworkManager and Network services are exclusive, they can/should
not be run together since they affect the same settings but are nearly
opposite in purpose.

I was mainly trying to determine which package to file a problem with
'service network start'
I think that I guessed the right package, initscripts but was not sure.
I have in the past used network service over NetworkManager.

Thanks for the links and reply. I'll file against initscripts. Besides
the problem with networking I have a problem with /dev/rtc existing and
when encountered a second time, it is created as /dev/rtc0. A control-c
is needed in order to proceed with the booting.

Jim

--
When your memory goes, forget it!