Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Jim Duda

Default FC6 to FC7 upgrade via yum

That worked Terry, thanks!!

Terry Polzin wrote:

On Sunday December 23 2007, Jim Duda wrote:

I did an upgrade from FC6 to FC7 via yum. The upgrade crashed while in
the "cleanup" phase. The download and package install went fine. I
suspect the failure to run a full cleanup is causing some issues.

In general, all things appear okay, however, I have 2 issues.

On reboot, udev spews tons of warning messages.

I see that I have two versions installed:

Installed Packages
udev.i386 095-17.fc6 installed
udev.i386 116-3.fc7 installed

I assume this is an issue and needs to be resolved.

I attempted to yum remove udev, in hopes to reinstall, however, yum
wants me to remove 995 other packages :-(, clearly not an optimal solution.

Any ideas on how I can clean up udev?

Also, when I do rpm -qa | grep '.fc6', i'm getting many packages
attached to fc6. How best can I clean these up?

Is there any means to run the "cleanup" after the fact?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Install yum-utils, run package-cleanup.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 23, 2007 4:45 PM, Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sunday December 23 2007, Jim Duda wrote:
> > I did an upgrade from FC6 to FC7 via yum. The upgrade crashed while in
> > the "cleanup" phase. The download and package install went fine. I
> > suspect the failure to run a full cleanup is causing some issues.
> >
> > In general, all things appear okay, however, I have 2 issues.
> >
> > On reboot, udev spews tons of warning messages.
> >
> > I see that I have two versions installed:
> >
> > Installed Packages
> > udev.i386 095-17.fc6 installed
> > udev.i386 116-3.fc7 installed
> >
> > I assume this is an issue and needs to be resolved.
> >
> > I attempted to yum remove udev, in hopes to reinstall, however, yum
> > wants me to remove 995 other packages :-(, clearly not an optimal solution.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can clean up udev?

rpm -e --nodeps package_name

> > Also, when I do rpm -qa | grep '.fc6', i'm getting many packages
> > attached to fc6. How best can I clean these up?
> >
> > Is there any means to run the "cleanup" after the fact?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Jim
> Install yum-utils, run package-cleanup.

Usage example: "package-cleanup --orphans >
name_of_file_for_orphaned_packages". Package-cleanup will list any
package not available in your enabled yum repositories as an orphan.
For instance, if you install Adobe Reader or Sun's JRE those packages
will also be listed as orphan.