Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Robert Locke

Default Jigzone

Getting ready to switch the wife over to Fedora, but there is one online
app that my be a deal breaker.

I am trying to run jigzone.com Jigsaw puzzles on F8 (all updated).
Tried on two machines. One has just IcedTea while the other has both
IcedTea and Sun JRE 1.6. Both machines play the pretty bubble test the
jigzone.com site suggests, but fail to play the puzzles.

Has anyone else been able to get this going or have any suggestions?

--Rob

Old 12-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 24 December 2007 02:04, Robert Locke wrote:
> Getting ready to switch the wife over to Fedora, but there is one online
> app that my be a deal breaker.
>
> I am trying to run jigzone.com Jigsaw puzzles on F8 (all updated).
> Tried on two machines. One has just IcedTea while the other has both
> IcedTea and Sun JRE 1.6. Both machines play the pretty bubble test the
> jigzone.com site suggests, but fail to play the puzzles.
>
> Has anyone else been able to get this going or have any suggestions?
>
> --Rob

Hi Robert. I don't think there's anything wrong with the site. I tried it with
my FC2 install, which has Sun's jre_1_5_0_06 (needs upgrading), and with
Firefox 2.0.0.9. I'm on dialup, couldn't initially find the "bubbles" test,
so tried the "Ho Ho Ho" puzzle of the day. It did take a while to load
(possibly because of dialup bandwidth), but the jigsaw, though quite
difficult worked fine.

I'll try it on F8 (which has icedtea), and on F7, where I installed Sun's JRE
recently (jre-1.6...?)

Nigel.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 24 December 2007 18:14, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007 02:04, Robert Locke wrote:
> > Getting ready to switch the wife over to Fedora, but there is one online
> > app that my be a deal breaker.
> >
> > I am trying to run jigzone.com Jigsaw puzzles on F8 (all updated).
> > Tried on two machines. One has just IcedTea while the other has both
> > IcedTea and Sun JRE 1.6. Both machines play the pretty bubble test the
> > jigzone.com site suggests, but fail to play the puzzles.
> >
> > Has anyone else been able to get this going or have any suggestions?
> >
> > --Rob
>
> Hi Robert. I don't think there's anything wrong with the site. I tried it
> with my FC2 install, which has Sun's jre_1_5_0_06 (needs upgrading), and
> with Firefox 2.0.0.9. I'm on dialup, couldn't initially find the "bubbles"
> test, so tried the "Ho Ho Ho" puzzle of the day. It did take a while to
> load (possibly because of dialup bandwidth), but the jigsaw, though quite
> difficult worked fine.
>
> I'll try it on F8 (which has icedtea), and on F7, where I installed Sun's
> JRE recently (jre-1.6...?)
>
> Nigel.

An update on trying the site on F7, and F8.

On F7 the site works ok, and the jigsaws load, and play.
Firefox version 2.0.0.10
Sun's jre is version 1.6.0_03
aboutlugins details for Sun's java plugin below.

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_03 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_03 Java Yes

Moving on to F8.

The bubbles test works ok with icedtea, but loading the jigsaw applet times
out. Doh. May I suggest that you see what java stuff is showing up in
aboutlugins in Firefox. You say that you have both icedtea, and Sun's jre
1.6 installed on F8. If Firefox is using Sun's jre, you should see something
like the above output for my F7 install. If Firefox on your F8 is still using
icedtea, you'll see something like the output below.

btw. I only have icedtea installed on F8.

GCJ Web Browser Plugin 1.4

File name: gcjwebplugin.so
The GCJ Web Browser Plugin executes Java applets.

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.7 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.7.0_00 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.7 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.7.0_00 IcedTea class,jar

Now of course, as you've installed Sun's jre along with icedtea, both may be
showing in Firefox's aboutlugins, and as /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins shows a
link named libjavaplugin.so pointing to /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so in
my case, you may find that alternatives has the icedtea as the default java
version to be used, and Sun's jre is being ignored, which would explain why
the jigzone site isn't working.

I havn't messed with alternatives, but see man:alternatives in a webbrowser.

Please post back, as it would be nice to resolve the problem.

Nigel.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Nigel Henry

On Monday 24 December 2007 20:37, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 IcedTea class,jar Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 IcedTea class,jar Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.7 IcedTea class,jar Yes
> application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.7.0_00 IcedTea class,jar
>
> Now of course, as you've installed Sun's jre along with icedtea, both may
> be showing in Firefox's aboutlugins, and as /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> shows a link named libjavaplugin.so pointing to
> /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so in my case, you may find that
> alternatives has the icedtea as the default java version to be used, and
> Sun's jre is being ignored, which would explain why the jigzone site isn't
> working.
>
> I havn't messed with alternatives, but see man:alternatives in a
> webbrowser.
>
> Please post back, as it would be nice to resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, back at the the ranch, and some time later after installing Sun's
JRE and messing with Java stuff on F8.

Without wishing to ramble on about all the stuff I've tried to get this site
icedtea browser plugin appears to be the problem.

I use Apt, and Synaptic, but Yum should do this ok, as below.
yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

Having done this Firefox now loads the jigsaw applet ok on F8.

I presume the Sun JRE install went ok, and you have now a "java" directory
in /usr.

The only other thing neccessary is the symlink below run as root.

ln
-s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Sorry about kmails wordwrapping. The line should start as. ln -s

Hope you get this working ok. The jigsaws are a lot of fun.

Nigel.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:04 AM
Charles Crayne

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:04:55 -0500
Robert Locke <lists@ralii.com> wrote:

> I am trying to run jigzone.com Jigsaw puzzles on F8 (all updated).

The problem is that the jigzone.com applets require javascript support,
which is available ONLY in the Sun plugin. I have it running on two F8
systems, but I had to remove IcedTea to make it happen.

-- Chuck

Old 12-25-2007, 02:14 AM
David Boles

Old 12-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Charles Crayne

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:14:59 -0500
David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> So why don't you report it as a bug so the developers are made aware
> of it and can try to fix it? Instead you sweep it under the rug?
> Probably never get fixed that way.

I did report it as a bug, many moons ago, before I knew exactly what
the problem was. However, I later learned that it was not a bug, but
merely the lack of a feature, and that the developers were well aware
of the lack.

-- Chuck

Old 12-25-2007, 04:21 AM
David Boles

Old 12-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Robert Locke

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 00:37 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
>
> Meanwhile, back at the the ranch, and some time later after installing Sun's
> JRE and messing with Java stuff on F8.
>
> Without wishing to ramble on about all the stuff I've tried to get this site
> icedtea browser plugin appears to be the problem.
>
> I use Apt, and Synaptic, but Yum should do this ok, as below.
> yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
>
> Having done this Firefox now loads the jigsaw applet ok on F8.
>
> I presume the Sun JRE install went ok, and you have now a "java" directory
> in /usr.
>
> The only other thing neccessary is the symlink below run as root.
>
> ln
> -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> Sorry about kmails wordwrapping. The line should start as. ln -s
>
> Hope you get this working ok. The jigsaws are a lot of fun.

I ended up doing something similar to above.

I did not want to remove IcedTea, because I seem to recall some features
in OpenOffice.org requiring it (gcj) at one point in my past....

I installed the Sun JDK 6u3, then went to jpackage.org and installed
their java-1.6.0-sun-compat to enable alternatives. I tried to be a
good boy first.

Though even after running alternatives, it left the IcedTea plugin
listed first in aboutlugins. Removing the symlink
of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so got rid of the IcedTea
plugin, but the site still did not work until I stumbled across one more
little piece to make Sun happy. I installed compat-libstdc++-33. Now
the Jigsaw puzzles are working great and the Christmas present to my
wife is now complete....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

--Rob

Old 12-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 26 December 2007 16:01, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 00:37 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

Nigel. He say.

> > Meanwhile, back at the the ranch, and some time later after installing
> > Sun's JRE and messing with Java stuff on F8.
> >
> > Without wishing to ramble on about all the stuff I've tried to get this
> > site loading up the jigsaws on F8, this I believe is the best solution,
> > as the icedtea browser plugin appears to be the problem.
> >
> > I use Apt, and Synaptic, but Yum should do this ok, as below.
> > yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
> >
> > Having done this Firefox now loads the jigsaw applet ok on F8.
> >
> > I presume the Sun JRE install went ok, and you have now a "java"
> > directory in /usr.
> >
> > The only other thing neccessary is the symlink below run as root.
> >
> > ln
> > -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >
> > Sorry about kmails wordwrapping. The line should start as. ln -s
> >
> > Hope you get this working ok. The jigsaws are a lot of fun.
>
> I ended up doing something similar to above.
>
> I did not want to remove IcedTea, because I seem to recall some features
> in OpenOffice.org requiring it (gcj) at one point in my past....
>
> I installed the Sun JDK 6u3, then went to jpackage.org and installed
> their java-1.6.0-sun-compat to enable alternatives. I tried to be a
> good boy first.
>
> Though even after running alternatives, it left the IcedTea plugin
> listed first in aboutlugins. Removing the symlink
> of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so got rid of the IcedTea
> plugin, but the site still did not work until I stumbled across one more
> little piece to make Sun happy. I installed compat-libstdc++-33. Now
> the Jigsaw puzzles are working great and the Christmas present to my
> wife is now complete....
>
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions,
>
> --Rob

Hi Rob. Glad you got the jigsaws working.

The reason I mentioned doing a,
yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
which should not affect the rest of icedtea that is installed, is because of a
little experience I had with Totem on FC6, and a later Fedora version. An
update for Totem put a load of libtotem plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
(unknown to me at the time). When I next started Firefox, and tried to listen
to something on a site, a window opened saying totem didn't know how to play
this file. Odd I thought, as there weren't any totem plugins in mozilla
plugins before. Taking a look at aboutlugins in FF, sure enough there was
now a load of totem stuff. Taking a little trip down
to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, I renamed them all. Fired up FF again, and
aboutlugins, and no totem stuff. Job done, or so I thought. Some time
later, and not FC6, but on F7, or 8, the totem plugins problem is back, and
again after updates.

Interesting, I thought. So back into mozilla/plugins. The renamed ones are
obviously still there, and are deactivated with the renaming, but now I have
a new set of libtotem plugins. The totem update appears to have replaced
them.

Now the moral to this is, that even though you have deleted libjavaplugin.so
from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, an update to icedtea may well replace it, with
the consequence that your wife will be bending your ear that the jigsaws
don't load anymore.

Personally, I think I'd leave it like it is for now, but keep an eye open for
any icedtea updates for F8, checking afterwards to see if the
libjavaplugin.so has been replaced in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If so, I'd do
the, yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin. I don't thing it will affect gcg
in OO, as it's just the browser plugin.

All the best, and happy jigsawing.

Nigel.

btw. Apologies about not mentioning compat-libstdc++-33. It was already
installed for something else that had required it.