Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Jim Cornette

Default X problems .. NVidia, Breaks after updaes applied... New to list

Dick Seabrook wrote:

I apologize if this has been discussed -- just joined the
list.
The last two updates blew away video driver access
necessary for Google Earth and the Second Life
client. Fortunately re-installing the Nvidia driver
fixed the problem in each case. Does anyone
have a suggestion for avoiding this problem?
Dick S.

NVidia drivers need to catch up to the kernel. If you are running a
script for NVidia, it will need to run each time the update upgrades the
kernel. It is a module that needs built specifically to match the kernel
version.
If you are running an rpm version and the NVidia driver is older than
the newly installed kernel, there are helper plugins for yum which will
suppress the kernel updates and then release the NVidia update and allow
the kernel to be updated.

Others who have NVidia drivers can inform you of other options available.

Jim
--
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."

Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 23 December 2007, Jim Cornette wrote:
>Dick Seabrook wrote:
>> I apologize if this has been discussed -- just joined the
>> list.
>> The last two updates blew away video driver access
>> necessary for Google Earth and the Second Life
>> client. Fortunately re-installing the Nvidia driver
>> fixed the problem in each case. Does anyone
>> have a suggestion for avoiding this problem?
>> Dick S.
>
>NVidia drivers need to catch up to the kernel. If you are running a
>script for NVidia, it will need to run each time the update upgrades the
>kernel. It is a module that needs built specifically to match the kernel
>version.
>If you are running an rpm version and the NVidia driver is older than
>the newly installed kernel, there are helper plugins for yum which will
>suppress the kernel updates and then release the NVidia update and allow
>the kernel to be updated.

Not a problem if the kernel src's are there, and for my kernels they always
are. But I need to turn off the gpgcheck to get the fedora src's installed.
And I haven't found a round tuit yet. gmail problems, then ISP vs gmail
problems today and that's slowly sorting itself, but about 3000 messages to
go before my gmail suckage is caught up. Many hours yet since its all at SA's
speed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)