Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

Default Does F8 Unity respin do upgrades? -- jigdo snag

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:53:40 +0000, I Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
[...]
> So : advice please!
>
> Do I want to learn enough jigo to get by with, and hope to manage
> a clean burn? (I can try Brasero, K3B, and Nautilus.)
[...]
On starting to read up about jigdo, I seem to have hit a big
snag : IF (very large if) I'm following the man pages aright, it isn't
ready yet!

It's this way : I downloaded jigdo-lite from the nice people in
Berlin, and tried to do rpm -ivh; rpm wanted a bunch of dependencies, and
I copied & pasted them all into a yum install command.

But yum didn't get libcrypto.so.5 nor libcurl.so.3 nor
libssl.so.5; and rpm naturally refuses to proceed without them.

Catch-22? Wait for the wave? What?

There doesn't seem to be any other way to get the .isos any
more ...

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0

Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

Do I want to learn enough jigo to get by with, and hope to manage
a clean burn? (I can try Brasero, K3B, and Nautilus.)

[...]
On starting to read up about jigdo, I seem to have hit a big
snag : IF (very large if) I'm following the man pages aright, it isn't
ready yet!

It's this way : I downloaded jigdo-lite from the nice people in
Berlin, and tried to do rpm -ivh; rpm wanted a bunch of dependencies, and
I copied & pasted them all into a yum install command.

But yum didn't get libcrypto.so.5 nor libcurl.so.3 nor
libssl.so.5; and rpm naturally refuses to proceed without them.

Catch-22? Wait for the wave? What?

There doesn't seem to be any other way to get the .isos any
more ...

Guys, yum install jigdo does it...

And yes, F8 Re-Spins do upgrades.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 12-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:27:49 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Guys, yum install jigdo does it...

Great! Many thanks.

I realize it takes time to produce detailed documentation; till
you do, I have some questions which are either pretty dumb, or apt to
help you write, or both. No reply required if my first stab, detailed
below, seems pretty sure to complete normally; I'm antsy, of course, but
that's *my* problem.

Following the yum install, as root, I tried jigdo http://
jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-
Everything.jigdo and then fed the same URL back into the box it gave me.

The process seems to be continuing. Already there is a file in my
home directory (where I told jigdo to put it) called jigdo-ULNdTFbcnQo,
belonging to root and showing a lock in the nautilus view.

The initial jigdo box soon got down to showing me two lines both
saying "retrieving template." I hope it isn't already wrong to have two!

Highlighting either one, step 2 seems to have a problem. It tells
me to choose either simple selection by country name -- and won't let me
choose a country -- or Advanced, and wants Debian (which I know nothing
of, and am not asking for) and/or non-US entries. (I gave it one.)

Clicking Step 3 shows me the two "retrieving template" lines
again. It also says "saving to root/Fedora-8-i386-Everything-CD10.iso"! I
guess I wait for that to announce completion, move it to my own
directory, chown it, and launch a DVD burner. (I want to be able to burn
the DVD as user, and not be root any more than I can help.)

> And yes, F8 Re-Spins do upgrades.

Oh, good, oh good, oh good : I very much prefer that for this
machine.

Many many thanks!

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.25, Firefox 2.0

Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Beartooth

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:10:45 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:27:49 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> Guys, yum install jigdo does it...
>
> Great! Many thanks.
[...]
>> And yes, F8 Re-Spins do upgrades.
>
> Oh, good, oh good, oh good : I very much prefer that for this
> machine.
>
> Many many thanks!

For the record, I did one of sorts at last.

After long grief, and with much help both here and from RDay's
Fedora Cookbook jigdo page, I got a .iso -- which K3B seemed to do better
at burning than Brasero, especially with poor man's double-DVD-Rs.

I put one into an F8 laptop, which hadn't been updated for a
couple days. It booted, passed the media test in Anaconda (as it had
K3B's), ran anaconda, and claimed to install two things -- a new version
of anaconda itself, and something that went by faster than I could see.

After the obligatory reboot, I did "yum clean all," "rpm --
rebuilddb" (on general principles), and "yum update" -- which got nothing
more.

But the machine and its F8 were both fine, before, during, and
after -- no error messages, and everything still works.

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.25, Firefox 2.0
Remember I know little (precious little!) of what I am talking about.