Old 12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Kaffeine crashes

Dear All,

Kaffeine crashes here with the following message:

$ kaffeine
11
$ *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...
system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
system call fstat: Bad file descriptor

$

I am using:

$ rpm -qi kaffeine
Name : kaffeine Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 0.8.5 Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 5.fc8 Build Date: Tue 30 Oct
2007 02:18:24 PM WET
Install Date: Sun 23 Dec 2007 04:51:32 PM WET Build Host:
xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
Group : Applications/Multimedia Source RPM:
kaffeine-0.8.5-5.fc8.src.rpm
Size : 5934935 License: GPLv2+
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 30 Oct 2007 08:13:55 PM WET, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager : Fedora Project
Description :
Kaffeine is a xine-based media player for KDE. It plays back CDs,
and VCDs, and can decode all (local or streamed) multimedia formats
supported by xine-lib.
Additionally, Kaffeine is fully integrated in KDE, it supports drag
and drop and provides an editable playlist, a bookmark system, a
Konqueror plugin, OSD and much more.
$

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 23 December 2007 18:19, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Kaffeine crashes here with the following message:
>
> $ kaffeine
> 11
> $ *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
>
> $
>
> I am using:
>
> $ rpm -qi kaffeine
> Name : kaffeine Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version : 0.8.5 Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release : 5.fc8 Build Date: Tue 30 Oct
> 2007 02:18:24 PM WET
> Install Date: Sun 23 Dec 2007 04:51:32 PM WET Build Host:
> xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
> Group : Applications/Multimedia Source RPM:
> kaffeine-0.8.5-5.fc8.src.rpm
> Size : 5934935 License: GPLv2+
> Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 30 Oct 2007 08:13:55 PM WET, Key ID
> b44269d04f2a6fd2 Packager : Fedora Project
> Description :
> Kaffeine is a xine-based media player for KDE. It plays back CDs,
> and VCDs, and can decode all (local or streamed) multimedia formats
> supported by xine-lib.
> Additionally, Kaffeine is fully integrated in KDE, it supports drag
> and drop and provides an editable playlist, a bookmark system, a
> Konqueror plugin, OSD and much more.
> $
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul. Is this the only audio app that you have problems with on Fedora 8?

I removed pulseaudio audio from F8, as my sound apps stopped working, whereas
pre piklseaudio no problems.
yum remove alsa-plugin-pulseaudio (plugin may be plugins)

That will also remove the KDE component for pulseaudio IIRC.

Now see if Kaffeine works again.

You can always re-install alsa-plugin/s-pulseaudio at a later time, and figure
out how it works, not forgetting to re-install the KDE component of
pulseaudio. I intend to do this, as pulseaudio seems interesting, and you can
set volume levels for various sound apps that are using the soundcard.

At the moment though, all I want is the sound to work, as it always has, and
pulseaudio has put a spanner in the works.

I think "Incoming" is the right word here, as I'm bound to receive some flac
in suggesting dumping pulseaudio.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:22 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 23, 2007 5:57 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > Kaffeine crashes here with the following message:
> >
> > $ kaffeine
> > 11
> > $ *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> > KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...
> > system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> > system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> > system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> > system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> >
> > $
> >
> > I am using:
> >
> > $ rpm -qi kaffeine
> > Name : kaffeine Relocations: (not relocatable)
> > Version : 0.8.5 Vendor: Fedora Project
> > Release : 5.fc8 Build Date: Tue 30 Oct
> > 2007 02:18:24 PM WET
> > Install Date: Sun 23 Dec 2007 04:51:32 PM WET Build Host:
> > xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
> > Group : Applications/Multimedia Source RPM:
> > kaffeine-0.8.5-5.fc8.src.rpm
> > Size : 5934935 License: GPLv2+
> > Signature : DSA/SHA1, Tue 30 Oct 2007 08:13:55 PM WET, Key ID
> > b44269d04f2a6fd2 Packager : Fedora Project
> > Description :
> > Kaffeine is a xine-based media player for KDE. It plays back CDs,
> > and VCDs, and can decode all (local or streamed) multimedia formats
> > supported by xine-lib.
> > Additionally, Kaffeine is fully integrated in KDE, it supports drag
> > and drop and provides an editable playlist, a bookmark system, a
> > Konqueror plugin, OSD and much more.
> > $
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Hi Paul. Is this the only audio app that you have problems with on Fedora 8?
>
> I removed pulseaudio audio from F8, as my sound apps stopped working, whereas
> pre piklseaudio no problems.
> yum remove alsa-plugin-pulseaudio (plugin may be plugins)
>
> That will also remove the KDE component for pulseaudio IIRC.
>
> Now see if Kaffeine works again.
>
> You can always re-install alsa-plugin/s-pulseaudio at a later time, and figure
> out how it works, not forgetting to re-install the KDE component of
> pulseaudio. I intend to do this, as pulseaudio seems interesting, and you can
> set volume levels for various sound apps that are using the soundcard.
>
> At the moment though, all I want is the sound to work, as it always has, and
> pulseaudio has put a spanner in the works.
>
> I think "Incoming" is the right word here, as I'm bound to receive some flac
> in suggesting dumping pulseaudio.

Thanks, Nigel. Indeed,

yum remove pulseaudio

solves the problem. And furthermore, mplayer can now play the sound of
avi files.

Paul