Old 12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Rick Bilonick

Default cannot get laptop panel brightness

I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 now running Fedora 8. In the recent
past (Fedora 7?), the laptop brightness was adjustable via a panel
applet. Now the applet says "cannot get laptop panel brightness". The
applet won't adjust the panel brightness (and neither will the function
keys). Any idea on how to get this working again? I checked SELinux
Troubleshooter but did not see anything related to this.

Rick B.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 23, 2007 8:30 AM, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 now running Fedora 8. In the recent
> past (Fedora 7?), the laptop brightness was adjustable via a panel
> applet. Now the applet says "cannot get laptop panel brightness". The
> applet won't adjust the panel brightness (and neither will the function
> keys). Any idea on how to get this working again? I checked SELinux
> Troubleshooter but did not see anything related to this.
>
> Rick B.

Hi Rick Bilonick!

I looked for a while but only found this:

Which mentions this:

http://fnfx.sourceforge.net/index.php?section=doc

Which may offer some hope for your problem.

Good Hunting

Tod

Old 12-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Rick Bilonick

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 21:24 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2007 8:30 AM, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 now running Fedora 8. In the recent
> > past (Fedora 7?), the laptop brightness was adjustable via a panel
> > applet. Now the applet says "cannot get laptop panel brightness". The
> > applet won't adjust the panel brightness (and neither will the function
> > keys). Any idea on how to get this working again? I checked SELinux
> > Troubleshooter but did not see anything related to this.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi Rick Bilonick!
>
> I looked for a while but only found this:

> Which mentions this:
>
> http://fnfx.sourceforge.net/index.php?section=doc
>
> Which may offer some hope for your problem.
>
> Good Hunting
>
> Tod

Thanks. I had run across some info on Debian and Fedora but had not
found the sourceforge site. I will check it out and report back.

Rick B.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Rick Bilonick

> > Which mentions this:
> >
> > http://fnfx.sourceforge.net/index.php?section=doc
> >
> > Which may offer some hope for your problem.
> >
> > Good Hunting
> >
> > Tod
> >

> Thanks. I had run across some info on Debian and Fedora but had not
> found the sourceforge site. I will check it out and report back.
>
> Rick B.

The fnfx sourceforge site appears to be very old. It did say I needed to
have /proc/acpi/toshiba showing - but this appears to be outdated. The
key is in having fnfx. Using yum, for Fedora 8 there is an fnfx package.
Installing it and rebooting (probably not really necessary but I'm not
sure how to restart acpi - although I guess I could have done it from
services). Anyway, now brightness works on the Toshiba Satellite A15
S-129 under Fedora 8. Thanks to Tod for finding the fnfx site.

Rick B.