FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 AM
offset
 
Default Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

Anyone using a WD Passport hard drive with Fedora 8? Any issues.

Thinking of buying one to use with a laptop.

Regards,
--
offset

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Serguei Miridonov
 
Default Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Saturday 22 December 2007, offset wrote:
> Anyone using a WD Passport hard drive with Fedora 8? Any issues.
>
> Thinking of buying one to use with a laptop.

I use it with Fedora 7. From user's point it is almost the same as USB
flash drive, just much more space. However, there are two things
which must be taken into account.

First, the drive does not have its own power supply and draws (when
starting) about 650 mA from the USB port. That may prevent it from
working on some notebooks if they allow only 500 mA current, as
guaranteed by USB standard.

Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does not
stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If you just
disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking which is not
always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop spinning the
drive. Check message

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01922.html

in this list for more info about this. Unfortunately, nobody replied
to my question, so I tried to solve the problem myself. Check the
script attached to this message and run it as root:

sh wd-passport-solution install

This will remove normal unmount procedure from HAL rules and replace
it with a script which unmounts the drive and in 10 seconds stops it,
so you can safely disconnect it from USB port. Remember, you will
also need to install sdparm package to make this stuff working.

If you don't like this HAL modification, just run

sh wd-passport-solution clean

I can not guarantee that this will work in Fedora 8 or with any future
update. The problem is with HAL, its specification and methods how
rules are added and removed. But this is another story...

Serguei.
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Tim
 
Default Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 19:47 -0800, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does not
> stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If you just
> disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking which is not
> always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop spinning the
> drive. Check message

I've yet to come across a drive that does shutdown through software
control. All I've seen them do is dismount, and sit there idly
spinning.

That hasn't been a problem for me, since the external hard drives I've
played with have a power switch and an external supply. So I've just
turned them off.

The only hard drives I've seen parked is when you shut down Linux, and
it stops the drives shortly before the computer powers down. Other OSs
don't bother to do that. They just flush the drive, and turn everything
off when the power supply goes off.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Serguei Miridonov
 
Default Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

On Sunday 23 December 2007, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 19:47 -0800, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> > Second, with current F7 hal/udev configuration, the drive does
> > not stop after unmount with clicking "Safely remove" in KDE. If
> > you just disconnect it the drive does emergency heads parking
> > which is not always safe. To prevent this, I used sdparm to stop
> > spinning the drive. Check message
>
> I've yet to come across a drive that does shutdown through software
> control. All I've seen them do is dismount, and sit there idly
> spinning.
>
> That hasn't been a problem for me, since the external hard drives
> I've played with have a power switch and an external supply. So
> I've just turned them off.
>
> The only hard drives I've seen parked is when you shut down Linux,
> and it stops the drives shortly before the computer powers down.
> Other OSs don't bother to do that. They just flush the drive, and
> turn everything off when the power supply goes off.

"WD Passport" does not have external power supply and it does not have
power switch, so it relies on OS to turn spinning off.

In Windows XP the same drive turns spinning off when user
clicks "Safely remove hardware" for this disk. As I wrote in other
post, I finally got the same behavior with my scripts and modifying
hal rules. However, with the way how HAL is written it looks weird.
Just see my previous post in this thread. I still hope that somebody
can offer better solution.

Serguei.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Ivan Virgili
 
Default Fedora 8 and WD Passport?

offset wrote:

Anyone using a WD Passport hard drive with Fedora 8? Any issues.

Thinking of buying one to use with a laptop.

Regards,


I am using a WD Passport HD with my laptop, running F8.
I have had no problems with it.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
GNU/Linux user #292882

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org