Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Frank Cox

Default intel 4965agn wireless networking - Fedora 8

I am just now setting up a laptop with Fedora 8 and I haven't the slightest
clue what I'm doing with the wireless networking. (It works fine with the wired
ethernet cable.)

I have a brand new Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router and I have, for the moment,
done nothing at all to the wireless settings on it so I believe it should be
"wide open".

When booting up, I get a "FAILED" message when initializing wlan0

When I go to System-Administration-Network and hit "activate" for wlan0, I get
this: "set failed on device wlan0 invalid argument"

Again, I have no clue what I'm doing here -- I have never tried to set up a
wireless network before.

So.... what do I do now?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 18:46 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I am just now setting up a laptop with Fedora 8 and I haven't the slightest
> clue what I'm doing with the wireless networking. (It works fine with the wired
> ethernet cable.)
>
> I have a brand new Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router and I have, for the moment,
> done nothing at all to the wireless settings on it so I believe it should be
> "wide open".
>
> When booting up, I get a "FAILED" message when initializing wlan0
>
> When I go to System-Administration-Network and hit "activate" for wlan0, I get
> this: "set failed on device wlan0 invalid argument"
>
> Again, I have no clue what I'm doing here -- I have never tried to set up a
> wireless network before.
>
> So.... what do I do now?
----
I **believe** that in F8, you would want to install and use
NetworkManager/NetworkManager Dispatcher instead of standard
system-config-network as that has integrated control for wireless
adaptors.

Recognize though that Network Manager uses DHCP which I wouldn't expect
to be an issue for you as I know you operate a dhcp server (from ltsp
experience).

Craig

Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:09:06 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> I **believe** that in F8, you would want to install and use
> NetworkManager/NetworkManager Dispatcher instead of standard
> system-config-network as that has integrated control for wireless
> adaptors.

I enabled the Network Manager service and then, under
System-Administration-Network I checked off that any user can enable the
connection, use DHCP, and changed the mode from Auto to Managed.

After that, it "just works" and automatically connects to my wireless router
and picks up an IP address from my dhcp server when I log in.

My only remaining issue was that it asks me for the "pam keyring password"
every time I log in. I solved that by following the instructions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction, Craig.