FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Hi all,

Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)


Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?

Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.


Thanks


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Robin Laing
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)


Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?

Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.


Thanks




The software on the CD needs to be installed. The problem is that the
software is "Widows only," in 95% of the cases. Remember the Sony Root
kit issue?


If you can read the CD and play it, then rip it and make a clean copy
for your usage under "Fair Usage."


Some CD's have the music in a second session on the CD and you will have
to mount that. This is for playing on CD players. I do not remember
how to do this at this time.


Sorry I cannot be any help. I just avoid to purchase any Digital
Restriction Managed CD's. The last one I purchased, I returned for a
full refund. The store didn't want to refund my money because it was
opened but there was no warning on the package saying that the CD could
only be played in a Windows computer. The clerk told me to install the
software and I asked them to get me the Linux version. Refund made.


--
Robin Laing

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Robin Laing wrote:

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all.
Sometimes, the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes
or so - but it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)


Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?

Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.



The software on the CD needs to be installed. The problem is that the
software is "Widows only," in 95% of the cases. Remember the Sony
Root kit issue?


If you can read the CD and play it, then rip it and make a clean copy
for your usage under "Fair Usage."


Some CD's have the music in a second session on the CD and you will
have to mount that. This is for playing on CD players. I do not
remember how to do this at this time.


Sorry I cannot be any help. I just avoid to purchase any Digital
Restriction Managed CD's. The last one I purchased, I returned for a
full refund. The store didn't want to refund my money because it was
opened but there was no warning on the package saying that the CD
could only be played in a Windows computer. The clerk told me to
install the software and I asked them to get me the Linux version.
Refund made.


I'm pretty sure that as long as normal audio players (e.g. in your car)
can play the CD, the PC CD/DVD drive can play one as well. Back when I
was using Windows, I've killed autorun immediately upon windows install
since '97 or so - so none of the protected CDs ever installed anything.
And yet, I was able to run audiograbber and rip the CDs that Linux
refused to recognize.


So.. why such a big difference?
I get that the CD tries to confuse the computer by having a mangled data
track - and the audio-only player just ignores that track. So, the
question is, why can't I tell Linux "Don't try read this next CD
automatically, you'll get confused. Lucky for you, I know it's an audio
CD, so just play the damn audio!!"?



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-25-2007, 03:15 PM
"Ian Malone"
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

On 24/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> > Konstantin Svist wrote:
> >> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
> >> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all.
> >> Sometimes, the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes
> >> or so - but it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
> >>
> >> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
> >>
> >> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.
> >>
> >

>
> I'm pretty sure that as long as normal audio players (e.g. in your car)
> can play the CD, the PC CD/DVD drive can play one as well. Back when I
> was using Windows, I've killed autorun immediately upon windows install
> since '97 or so - so none of the protected CDs ever installed anything.
> And yet, I was able to run audiograbber and rip the CDs that Linux
> refused to recognize.
>
> So.. why such a big difference?
> I get that the CD tries to confuse the computer by having a mangled data
> track - and the audio-only player just ignores that track. So, the
> question is, why can't I tell Linux "Don't try read this next CD
> automatically, you'll get confused. Lucky for you, I know it's an audio
> CD, so just play the damn audio!!"?
>

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem *ripping* CDs
under Linux, even when they were mangled to prevent them
playing normally in a CD-ROM drive. This sometimes seems
to be the best work-around for the issue (with the added
bonus that you now have a back-up in case anything
happens to the CD). Personally I've always avoided
installing the software these things have wanted to install
in Windows, as I'm sure it's generally broken enough to
damage the rest of the system.

I'd be interested to know what CD was causing a problem
(since broken discs are becoming less popular as far as I
can tell, or maybe I'm just buying less 'popular' music
these days).

Merry Christmas to all!

--
imalone

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Ivan Virgili
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Ian Malone wrote:

I'd be interested to know what CD was causing a problem
(since broken discs are becoming less popular as far as I
can tell, or maybe I'm just buying less 'popular' music
these days).


I have just had a problem trying to rip songs 1, 2 and 5 from KT
Tunstall latest CD (Drastic Fantastic), that also contains data.
All the other songs have been ripped normally, but those 3 does not want
to "collaborate".


I will see if I can find a solution to this problem.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
GNU/Linux user #292882

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:52:09 -0800
Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
> It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
> the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
> it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)
>
> Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
>
> Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.

If you've got a corrupted piece of shiny plastic (note the ones with
deliberate corruptions are not a 'compact disc' as that is a trademark
reserved for describing real ones) then what happens depends a lot on the
disc itself

Some sneakily install windows drivers and play mp3 type copies on a PC,
others have corruptions so you can play them via an audio cable but not
digitally - if so cdplay will play them but not tools that digitally
rip/play for better quality. Others contain corrupt headers which will
just break on PC hardware.

Alan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Alan Cox wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:52:09 -0800
Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:



Hi all,

Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs in Linux/Fedora?
It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be read at all. Sometimes,
the system is able to read it after trying for 20 minutes or so - but
it's not consistent (next time it says can't read the CD)


Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?

Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just listening to them.



If you've got a corrupted piece of shiny plastic (note the ones with
deliberate corruptions are not a 'compact disc' as that is a trademark
reserved for describing real ones) then what happens depends a lot on the
disc itself

Some sneakily install windows drivers and play mp3 type copies on a PC,
others have corruptions so you can play them via an audio cable but not
digitally - if so cdplay will play them but not tools that digitally
rip/play for better quality. Others contain corrupt headers which will
just break on PC hardware.

Alan



Okay, let's take a particular one.
http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Service-Shakira/dp/B00005R2M3
It's a purchased cd, works well in dedicated cd playes (car, desk) - and
also works in windows (and can be ripped with audiograbber). I'm
reasonably sure no "drivers" have been installed - because autoplay is
disabled. Is there a way to check explicitly for any of that crap?


Whenever I insert it into a linux computer, it takes several minutes to
recognize that anything is even in the drive (at least, in KDE). After
the CD is recognized, the audio can be ripped, but has problems.
I guess then my question is, why is it that windows/audiograbber can
play/rip the CD, but linux can't?




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

> http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Service-Shakira/dp/B00005R2M3
> It's a purchased cd, works well in dedicated cd playes (car, desk) - and

(pedantic - its not a CD)

> also works in windows (and can be ripped with audiograbber). I'm
> reasonably sure no "drivers" have been installed - because autoplay is
> disabled. Is there a way to check explicitly for any of that crap?

It would have a small iso9660 data or udf session if so.

> Whenever I insert it into a linux computer, it takes several minutes to
> recognize that anything is even in the drive (at least, in KDE). After
> the CD is recognized, the audio can be ripped, but has problems.
> I guess then my question is, why is it that windows/audiograbber can
> play/rip the CD, but linux can't?

Some versions of that disc are certainly mangled. Its a disc I did
actually take a look at a long time ago as it was causing some IDE CD bug
reports which turned out to be CD firmware crashing not Linux. It amusing
played just fine/ripped just fine on an HP drive.

I would guess that the behaviour you see depends upon the way the drive
is queried or what the tools happen to do. Its also possible some windows
audio grabbing tools have hacks to defeat the copy protection on the
discs. For obvious reasons we can't ship such hacks in Fedora because US
legislators believe that the music industry is more important than the
people.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Antonio Olivares
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

--- Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:52:09 -0800
> Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there a way to listen to "protected" audio CDs
> in Linux/Fedora?
> > It seems that most of the time, the CD can't be
> read at all. Sometimes,
> > the system is able to read it after trying for 20
> minutes or so - but
> > it's not consistent (next time it says can't read
> the CD)
> >
> > Why is it possible on windows but not on Linux?
> >
> > Note I'm not talking about ripping CD - just
> listening to them.
>
> If you've got a corrupted piece of shiny plastic
> (note the ones with
> deliberate corruptions are not a 'compact disc' as
> that is a trademark
> reserved for describing real ones) then what happens
> depends a lot on the
> disc itself
>
> Some sneakily install windows drivers and play mp3
> type copies on a PC,
> others have corruptions so you can play them via an
> audio cable but not
> digitally - if so cdplay will play them but not
> tools that digitally
> rip/play for better quality. Others contain corrupt
> headers which will
> just break on PC hardware.
>
> Alan
>
> --

Has the OP tried playing using cdda2wav an example

$ cdda2wav -eN dev=/dev/sr0 -t1
plays track 1 from cdrom0,

It can play from command line and get information from
cd,

[olivares@localhost ~]$ cdda2wav -eN dev=/dev/sr1 -t1
Type: ROM, Vendor 'TSSTcorp' Model 'CD/DVDW SH-S182D'
Revision 'SB03' MMC+CDDA
569344 bytes buffer memory requested, 4 buffers, 55
sectors
#icedax version 1.1.6, real time sched., soundcard,
libparanoia support
AUDIOtrack pre-emphasis copy-permitted tracktype
channels
1-22 no yes audio 2
Table of Contents: total tracks:22, (total time
58:13.44)
1.( 2:23.66), 2.( 2:31.05), 3.( 2:18.09), 4.(
2:52.00), 5.( 2:34.61),
6.( 2:27.74), 7.( 2:34.49), 8.( 2:12.21), 9.(
2:32.00), 10.( 2:22.62),
11.( 2:18.64), 12.( 2:54.14), 13.( 2:52.14), 14.(
2:51.03), 15.( 3:08.53),
16.( 3:02.29), 17.( 2:37.74), 18.( 2:24.26), 19.(
2:59.41), 20.( 2:39.26),
21.( 2:41.15), 22.( 2:54.13)

Table of Contents: starting sectors
1.( 0), 2.( 10791), 3.( 22121), 4.(
32480), 5.( 45380),
6.( 56991), 7.( 68090), 8.( 79689), 9.(
89610), 10.( 101010),
11.( 111722), 12.( 122136), 13.( 135200), 14.(
148114), 15.( 160942),
16.( 175095), 17.( 188774), 18.( 200623), 19.(
211449), 20.( 224915),
21.( 236866), 22.( 248956), lead-out( 262019)
CDINDEX discid: Chei203NkxAqGhFkNndwCrbxCt0-
CDDB discid: 0x240da516
CD-Text: detected
CD-Extra: not detected
samplefile size will be 25380476 bytes.
recording 143.8799 seconds stereo with 16 bits @
44100.0 Hz
cdda2wav: Operation not permitted. cannot set posix
realtime scheduling policy
percent_done:
4%
W Child exited with 2
[olivares@localhost ~]$ cdda2wav --help
usage: icedax [OPTIONS ...] [trackfilenames ...]
OPTIONS:
[-c chans] [-s] [-m] [-b bits] [-r rate] [-a
divider] [-S speed] [-x]
[-t track[+endtrack]] [-i index] [-o offset]
[-d duration] [-F] [-G]
[-q] [-w] [-v vopts] [-R] [-P overlap] [-B]
[-T] [-C input-endianess]
[-e] [-n sectors] [-N] [-J] [-L cddbp-mode]
[-H] [-g] [-l buffers] [-D cd-device]
[-I interface] [-K sound-device] [-O
audiotype] [-E output-endianess]
[-A auxdevice] [-paranoia]
[-cddbp-server=name] [-cddbp-port=port] [-version]
(-D) dev=device set the cdrom or scsi
device (as Bus,Id,Lun).
(-A) auxdevice=device set the aux device
(typically /dev/cdrom).
(-K) sound-device=device set the sound device
to use for -e (typically /dev/dsp).
(-I) interface=interface specify the interface
for cdrom access.
(generic_scsi or cooked_ioctl).
(-c) channels=channels set 1 for mono, 2 or s
for stereo (s: channels swapped).
(-s) -stereo select stereo
recording.
(-m) -mono select mono recording.
(-x) -max select maximum quality
(stereo/16-bit/44.1 KHz).
(-b) bits=bits set bits per sample
per channel (8, 12 or 16 bits).
(-r) rate=rate set rate in samples
per second. -R gives all rates
(-a) divider=divider set rate to 44100Hz /
divider. -R gives all rates
(-R) -dump-rates dump a table with all
available sample rates
(-S) speed=speedfactor set the cdrom drive to
a given speed during reading
(-P) set-overlap=sectors set amount of overlap
sampling (default is 0)
(-n) sectors-per-request=secs read 'sectors' sectors
per request.
(-l) buffers-in-ring=buffers use a ring buffer with
'buffers' elements.
(-t) track=track[+end track] select start track
(option. end track).
(-i) index=index select start index.
(-o) offset=offset start at 'offset'
sectors behind start track/index.
one sector equivalents 1/75 second.
(-O) output-format=audiotype set to wav, au (sun),
cdr (raw), aiff or aifc format.
(-C) cdrom-endianess=endian set little, big or
guess input sample endianess.
(-E) output-endianess=endian set little or big
output sample endianess.
(-d) duration=seconds set recording time in
seconds or 0 for whole track.
(-w) -wait wait for audio signal,
then start recording.
(-F) -find-extremes find extrem amplitudes
in samples.
(-G) -find-mono find if input samples
are mono.
(-T) -deemphasize undo pre-emphasis in
input samples.
(-e) -echo echo audio data to
sound device (see -K) SOUND_DEV.
(-v) verbose-level=optlist controls verbosity
(for a list use -vhelp).
(-N) -no-write do not create audio
sample files.
(-J) -info-only give disc information
only.
(-L) cddb=cddbpmode do cddbp title
lookups.
resolve multiple entries according to
cddbpmode: 0=interactive, 1=first entry
(-H) -no-infofile no info file
generation.
(-g) -gui generate special
output suitable for gui frontends.
(-Q) -silent-scsi do not print status of
erreneous scsi-commands.
-scanbus scan the SCSI bus and
exit
--devices scan for system
devices and print with native names
(-M) md5=count calculate MD-5
checksum for blocks of 'count' bytes.
(-q) -quiet quiet operation, no
screen output.
(-p) playback-realtime=perc play (echo) audio
pitched at perc percent (50%-200%).
(-V) -verbose-scsi each option increases
verbosity for SCSI commands.
(-h) -help show this help screen.
(-B) -alltracks, -bulk record each track into
a seperate file.
-paranoia use the lib paranoia
for reading.
-paraopts=opts set options for lib
paranoia (see -paraopts=help).
-cddbp-server=servername set the cddbp server
to use for title lookups.
-cddbp-port=portnumber set the cddbp port to
use for title lookups.
-version print version
information.

Please note: some short options will be phased out
soon (disappear)!

parameters: (optional) one or more file names or - for
standard output.
Version 1.1.6
defaults stereo, 16 bit, 44100.00 Hz, track 1,
no offset, one track,
type wav 'audio', don't wait for signal, not
quiet,
use generic_scsi, device /dev/cdrom, aux
/dev/cdrom
[olivares@localhost ~]$

If this does not work, please let me know. It has
worked for me in the past. It lets you also rip the
cd to wav files which can later be burned to make a
non protected cd for your personal use.

Regards,

Antonio




__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default listening to protected audio cds

Antonio Olivares wrote:

Has the OP tried playing using cdda2wav an example

$ cdda2wav -eN dev=/dev/sr0 -t1
plays track 1 from cdrom0,


It can play from command line and get information from
cd,



[snip]

If this does not work, please let me know. It has
worked for me in the past. It lets you also rip the
cd to wav files which can later be burned to make a
non protected cd for your personal use.



Thank you very much, Antonio! It seems to have worked.

I guess the problem was trying to get KDE to recognize the disc and/or
getting amarok to play it as-is.
One strangeness, though - I was able to get the cd-text with cdda2wav
once, but it disappeared and couldn't get it anymore. Is that something
that just happens with these protected discs?



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org