Old 12-22-2007, 05:09 PM
vinod gullu

Default Booting problem with old HD

Dear All,
I had a Laptop which died a month ago. So i took out
the LAptop HD and connected it to my desktop through
USB. During boot setup i enabled boot USB as 1st
option.
Now The grub menu comes but without background splash
image . Also If i choose to boot linux or windows. A
error message comes

ERROR 18: selected cylinder length exceeds the max
supported by BIOS.

I even changed the grub.conf by modifying hd0 to hd1
as fdisk -l recognises it as sdb. But again same
message.

Can anyone help me to sort out the issue as i want to
boot the LAPTOP HD for most of my work.

Thanks in advance.

VINOD KUMAR GULERIA

ADD/AERO

VSSC, TRIVANDRUM

KERLA- 695022

0471-2564429,2564938(OFFICE)

+91 9447109608 (RES)

Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
John Summerfield

vinod gullu wrote:

Dear All,
I had a Laptop which died a month ago. So i took out
the LAptop HD and connected it to my desktop through
USB. During boot setup i enabled boot USB as 1st
option.
Now The grub menu comes but without background splash

image . Also If i choose to boot linux or windows. A
error message comes

ERROR 18: selected cylinder length exceeds the max
supported by BIOS.

I even changed the grub.conf by modifying hd0 to hd1
as fdisk -l recognises it as sdb. But again same
message.

Can anyone help me to sort out the issue as i want to
boot the LAPTOP HD for most of my work.

1. Using Windows is almost (IANAL and most certainly not an Indian
lawrer) certainly illegal. Typically, the Windows licence permits you
to use _that copy_ on your laptop and nowhere else.

2. I understand Windows doesn't boot from USB. It would be too easy to
flout 1.

3. Try booting grub from something else, then type the commands in from
its shell. Linux _should_ work, but I'm not so sure about grub.

4. I all else fails, install a new disk in the desktop, create a Linux
partition that is no smaller than the laptop drive's Linux partition.

Then, assuming
a. your new disk is /dev/hdb,
b. the partition is 1,
c. that your laptop's drive is /dev/sdb
d. your Linux is on partition 5,
e. You are not using lvm
f. You are using ext3
copy it like this:
dd of=/dev/hdb1 if=/dev/sdb5
# Pay particular care that of correctly specifies the parition you want
to copy to.

resize2fs /dev/hdb1
# This might ask you to do an e2fsck. If so, do it as it asksm and
repeat the resize2fs

You should be able to boot this from your existing drive, from grub's
shell using commands like this:

chainloader (hd1,1)+1
boot

You can then install grub to the new disk's MBR, and set the other grub
the chain to this one.

If you're using LVM, or some other filesystem, the same general
procedure works, but you will need to adjust the particulars.

You _can_ copy your windows system too, using the NTFS tools, but I
don't expect it to run.

From there, if your desktop's licenced for Windows, you can (probably)
install to your new NTFS partition without reformatting, and retain your
existing data. Note that installing Windows replaces the MBR.

Thanks in advance.

VINOD KUMAR GULERIA

ADD/AERO

VSSC, TRIVANDRUM

KERLA- 695022

0471-2564429,2564938(OFFICE)

+91 9447109608 (RES)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

vinod gullu wrote:
> Dear All,
> I had a Laptop which died a month ago. So i took out
> the LAptop HD and connected it to my desktop through
> USB. During boot setup i enabled boot USB as 1st
> option.
> Now The grub menu comes but without background splash
> image . Also If i choose to boot linux or windows. A
> error message comes
>
> ERROR 18: selected cylinder length exceeds the max
> supported by BIOS.
>
> I even changed the grub.conf by modifying hd0 to hd1
> as fdisk -l recognises it as sdb. But again same
> message.
>
> Can anyone help me to sort out the issue as i want to
> boot the LAPTOP HD for most of my work.
>
> Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the disk geometry is being seen differently when it
is in the USB enclosure. The errors sound like the drive was not
being accessed using LBA when in the laptop, and is being accessed
that way now. I am not sure how to turn LBA off when using a USB
enclosure. There may be an option you can use to do that in your
BIOS, but I don't remember ever seeing one. There may be a way to
tell Grub not to use LBA, but I have never needed it, so I don't know.

Can you mount the partitions on the drive from Linux? If you can,
and you can read the files without any problems, then you may be
able to re-install Grub on the drive. Because Grub uses BIOS calls
to access the drive, the BIOS and Grub must agree on how the drive
is mapped.

Once you get Grub working, you troubles are not over. Windows is not
going to boot off the USB drive. As far as I know, there isn't any
way to get Windows to do that, but I could be wrong. At the very
least, you will have to change the registry because Windows will be
get it to boot in the safe mode...

You will probably also have to build a new initrd for Linux. Unless
the usb_storage module, and the USB drivers are in the initrd, Linux
will not be able to mount the root file system.

You would probably find it a lot less trouble to get an adapter that
lets you use the laptop hard drive as a standard PATA drive, and
install the drive in your desktop. You can find the kits with the
mounting rails and an adapter board for less then $10 US.

Mikkel