Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 PM
"Jon Stanley"

Default Setting permissions on serial port

On 12/20/07, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:

> Yea, I finally did that myself, much simpler that wading through
> the maze of udev stuff :-).

udev is actually fairly easy. I just took RH436 (Red Hat Clustering
and Storage Management) where there's a unit on udev. To find out all
of the attirbutes that you can use to describe a device, the following
command is useful:

udevinfo -ap `udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sda`

replacing /dev/sda with the serial port that you are interested in. I
would probably use for the harddrive above:

KERNEL=="sd[a-z]$", ATTRS{model}=="ST3808110AS ",
OWNER=="someone", GROUP=="something", SYMLINK+="whatever"

For that specific model of drive in my machine (for some reason there
is no ATA serial number provided by libata ), that will set the
owner to someone, group to something, and add a symlink /dev/whatever
to it. For the USB serial port, I would probably add BUS=="usb" and
the serial number of the serial port.

Put this in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-custom.rules for example.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Duane Clark

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:59:49 -0600
Yea, I finally did that myself, much simpler that wading through
the maze of udev stuff :-).

Yep, that does seem the simplest, so that is what I did.