Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Gordon Keehn

Default F8 Boot Under VMware Server (Solved)

Gordon R. Keehn wrote:
I'm running Fedora 8 under VMware Server 1.0.4 on two WinXP Pro
systems, one an IBM Thinkpad T41, the other a ThinkCentre A60.
Virtual machine specs are identical. On one system (the Thinkpad),
Fedora boots directly (and quickly). On the desktop system, during
boot, Fedora seems to be trying to access some hundred or so devices
from SDA through SDDZ, taking close to 30 minutes to get into the real
boot process. Both were installed from the DVD .iso downloaded with
Azureus.
Has anyone run into a similar issue, and (hopefully) figured out
how to get around it. I'm hopeful it's a configuration file
somewhere, that can be tweaked manually.

Thanks,
Gordon Keehn

I lied. The virtual hard drives for the VM on the Thinkpad emulated
IDE drives; when defining the VM on the ThinkCentre I took the
"recommendation" and emulated SCSI drives. We won't go into the fact
that virtual machines running kubuntu on the same two hosts both use
SCSI emulation without a hitch.

Gordon Keehn