Old 12-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Gijs

Default Doubt on echo 1 >> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Abhishek Rane wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have a doubt whenever i do echo 1 >>
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches it drops the caches..I also see a
> "significant" change in the Memory stats of the Gnome system manager.I
> feel kinda happy but all i know about it is that it drops the caches.I
> want to know whether it is safe to do that?.Also will echo 2 or echo 3
> make a difference?..and how can it be useful for a normal user like me
> who browses the net and stuff?

Some pointers on how to use drop_caches:
http://www.linuxinsight.com/proc_sys_vm_drop_caches.html

It shouldn't really matter whether you do it or not, the kernel should
take care of this when you need more memory.
Like throw away some of it's file-cache to make room for your programs.
And yes, it is safe to do.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:27 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On 12/21/07, Gijs <info@boer-software-en-webservices.nl> wrote:

> And yes, it is safe to do.

Safe, but not recommended. I can't see any real-world use for this.
The only practical use of which I'm aware is if you are doing I/O
benchmarking and you want to test the actual speed of the I/O, as
opposed to the efficacy of the pagecache. On a normal system, the
pagecache dramatically increases performance by not having to go to
disk for filesystem data or metadata, depending on what cache you're
looking at.

For a detailed explanation of the values, check out my blog at
http://jons-thoughts.blogspot.com/2007/09/tip-of-day-dropcaches.html

Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Abhishek Rane

Thanks a lot guys that info was really helpful..The blog was also
great.. :-)

Cheers,
Abhishek