Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Abhishek Rane

Default Doubt on echo 1 >> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Hi there,
I have a doubt whenever i do echo 1 >>
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches it drops the caches..I also see a "significant"
change in the Memory stats of the Gnome system manager.I feel kinda
happy but all i know about it is that it drops the caches.I want to know
whether it is safe to do that?.Also will echo 2 or echo 3 make a
difference?..and how can it be useful for a normal user like me who
browses the net and stuff?