Old 12-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Claude Jones

Default Fedora on an ASUS G23-B2

The ASUS G2S-B2 is marketed as a gaming laptop, but is also used
extensively by video integrators in the U.S. to build mobile
video editing workstations. So, that's what I bought recently
after looking at the reviews and prices.

I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or
at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to
revert to XP but that's another story for another list.

I did image the drive as soon as the machine arrived, then
removed all partitions and reformatted it, creating two
partitions, one for Windows and one for Linux. (With the image,
I can always restore to exactly how it arrived from the factory)

So far, no distro has satisfactorily loaded on this machine.
Fedora went on, but failed to figure out a driver for the video
card and came up in text mode. MEPIS went on, but, each time I
tried to upgrade from the VESA driver (the only one that would
boot up from the LiveCD, it lost the ability to startx -- I
tried the nv driver, and two different nVidia drivers. MEPIS
also failed to identify the NIC and load a driver for it, so
that was a dead in the water proposition. PCLinuxOS came up in
LiveCD mode, but, lost video when I installed it. KUBUNTU failed
to find a video driver in LiveCD mode.

So, before I start getting specific, and yes, I am googling for
success stories, is anyone on the list successfully running
Fedora or any flavor of Linux on this machine?

No lectures about researching before buying, either, please. I
bought this for my Video Editing needs - Linux on this machine
is strictly for my personal edification, and Linux compatibility
would not have been the deciding factor in this particular
purchase. But, that said, I would still like to get it to
work -- so, any success stories with this particular model?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Claude Jones wrote:
> The ASUS G2S-B2 is marketed as a gaming laptop, but is also used
> extensively by video integrators in the U.S. to build mobile
> video editing workstations. So, that's what I bought recently
> after looking at the reviews and prices.
>
> I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or
> at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to
> revert to XP but that's another story for another list.

VISTA only? Hard to believe a gaming machine won't support XP.

> I did image the drive as soon as the machine arrived, then
> removed all partitions and reformatted it, creating two
> partitions, one for Windows and one for Linux. (With the image,
> I can always restore to exactly how it arrived from the factory)
>
> So far, no distro has satisfactorily loaded on this machine.
> Fedora went on, but failed to figure out a driver for the video
> card and came up in text mode. MEPIS went on, but, each time I
> tried to upgrade from the VESA driver (the only one that would
> boot up from the LiveCD, it lost the ability to startx -- I
> tried the nv driver, and two different nVidia drivers. MEPIS
> also failed to identify the NIC and load a driver for it, so
> that was a dead in the water proposition. PCLinuxOS came up in
> LiveCD mode, but, lost video when I installed it. KUBUNTU failed
> to find a video driver in LiveCD mode.

According to ASUS technical specs, it uses an NVidia 8600M GS graphics
processor.

According to NVidia's documentation, the 8600M GS is supported by the
NVidia proprietary Unified Xorg driver. The current version is 169.07,
released on 12/20/07. This is the driver you need to concentrate on
getting to work. I'm somewhat surprised that you can't get anything to
work except for the VESA driver. The nv driver should at work in 2D
mode (without 3D acceleration support). Perhaps the GPU is too new(?)
and appears as an unknown/unsupported GPU to the older software?

> So, before I start getting specific, and yes, I am googling for
> success stories, is anyone on the list successfully running
> Fedora or any flavor of Linux on this machine?

nope. Have you tried the NVidia user forums?

> No lectures about researching before buying, either, please. I
> bought this for my Video Editing needs - Linux on this machine
> is strictly for my personal edification, and Linux compatibility
> would not have been the deciding factor in this particular
> purchase. But, that said, I would still like to get it to
> work -- so, any success stories with this particular model?

NVidia claims that the graphics processor is compatible with Linux, so
they must think you can get it to work with their latest driver. So,
unless ASUS has done something to prevent anything except VISTA to run
right on this mb....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Claude Jones

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or
at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to
revert to XP but that's another story for another list.

VISTA only? Hard to believe a gaming machine won't support XP.

On their download site, I couldn't find any drivers listed for XP - I
intend to revisit the search, and send in a query before I give up - it
is somewhat surprising - one thing they stuck on this machine is Turbo
Memory, which definitely only works with Vista, so, there may be
something in that - a decision to market a Vista only machine that could
take advantage of new technology from Intel. But, a gaming laptop that
can only run Vista??? That's definitely an 'interesting' marketing concept.

According to ASUS technical specs, it uses an NVidia 8600M GS graphics
processor.

According to NVidia's documentation, the 8600M GS is supported by the
NVidia proprietary Unified Xorg driver. The current version is 169.07,
released on 12/20/07. This is the driver you need to concentrate on
getting to work. I'm somewhat surprised that you can't get anything to
work except for the VESA driver. The nv driver should at work in 2D
mode (without 3D acceleration support). Perhaps the GPU is too new(?)
and appears as an unknown/unsupported GPU to the older software?

I appreciate your taking time to look into that - it was not my
intention that you do my research. I actually did know the graphics
processor involved and a trip to the nVidia site was on my agenda - I
was just seeking a quick answer to the question of whether anyone was
successfully running Fedora on this model laptop

Old 12-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Claude Jones

Claude Jones wrote:
I was just seeking a quick answer to the question of whether anyone
was successfully running Fedora on this model laptop

To answer my own question, I was able to get Fedora 8 installed on this
machine. Two issues giving me 'problems' are getting the wireless Intel
4965AGN card working properly. Its driver is supposedly built in to the
kernel, which is confirmed by the fact that it simply 'just
works'....sometimes. There's no rhyme or reason to it so far. I click
and configure, this, that, the same things over and over, but
occasionally with a different, successful, result. Then, thinking I've
got it, I try the same thing on next reboot, and it's all broken again...

Second issue is with an Audigy USB external audio card - audio is coming
out crackly and distorted. Internal audio is fine.

I had many problems installing any distro on this machine, but, I
flashed the BIOS, finding a newer version on the ASUS site; the
automatic ASUS update utility had not identified it, so it required
looking for it and a manual install. After that BIOS update this model
ASUS with BIOS Ver212 is up and running with Fedora 8

Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 11:01 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> To answer my own question, I was able to get Fedora 8 installed on
> this machine. Two issues giving me 'problems' are getting the wireless
> Intel 4965AGN card working properly. Its driver is supposedly built in
> to the kernel, which is confirmed by the fact that it simply 'just
> works'....sometimes. There's no rhyme or reason to it so far. I click
> and configure, this, that, the same things over and over, but
> occasionally with a different, successful, result. Then, thinking I've
> got it, I try the same thing on next reboot, and it's all broken
> again...

I have a different Asus laptop, a PRO31J F3JC, using an Intel WM3945ABG
wireless card, and it's somewhat similar in that from time to time the
wireless wouldn't work, othertimes it'd work fine. Reboots were
necessary to get it to work, at times. And with no changes of settings
in between.

This smacks of not too brilliantly designed hardware, hardware that
doesn't reset itself properly when turned on, and drivers that can't
cause it to reset itself, either.

I'd also noticed that it would just about always manage to cause my
friend's modem/router to reset while Fedora was booting up,
disconnecting him. But I don't recall it doing that when I booted up in
Ubuntu or Vista. I can only imagine that happening if it were spewing
out garbage.

I don't have a wireless router myself, and disconnecting a friend using
his internet was being a nuisance, so I can't do much to diagnose things
at this time. Given all the problems I'd noticed, I'm even less
inclined into wanting wireless.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Claude Jones

Tim wrote:

I have a different Asus laptop, a PRO31J F3JC, using an Intel WM3945ABG
wireless card, and it's somewhat similar in that from time to time the
wireless wouldn't work, othertimes it'd work fine. Reboots were
necessary to get it to work, at times. And with no changes of settings
in between.

This smacks of not too brilliantly designed hardware, hardware that
doesn't reset itself properly when turned on, and drivers that can't
cause it to reset itself, either.

I'd also noticed that it would just about always manage to cause my
friend's modem/router to reset while Fedora was booting up,
disconnecting him. But I don't recall it doing that when I booted up in
Ubuntu or Vista. I can only imagine that happening if it were spewing
out garbage.

Don't know about your hardware theory. In Vista, the wireless NIC works
perfectly, every time. I think wireless connectivity in Linux is still
in its growth-pains stage. This machine is not having any adverse effect
on any router I've connected to, under Linux or Windows. I've tried three.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> I have a different Asus laptop, a PRO31J F3JC, using an Intel WM3945ABG
>> wireless card, and it's somewhat similar in that from time to time the
>> wireless wouldn't work, othertimes it'd work fine. Reboots were
>> necessary to get it to work, at times. And with no changes of settings
>> in between.
>>
>> This smacks of not too brilliantly designed hardware, hardware that
>> doesn't reset itself properly when turned on, and drivers that can't
>> cause it to reset itself, either.

Claude Jones:
> Don't know about your hardware theory. In Vista, the wireless NIC works
> perfectly, every time. I think wireless connectivity in Linux is still
> in its growth-pains stage. This machine is not having any adverse effect
> on any router I've connected to, under Linux or Windows. I've tried three.

Well, I've certainly experienced having to power down to get it to work
again. And having to go through this, sometimes, no matter which OS was
being used. Mine didn't work "perfectly" with any OS.

I've seen that sort of thing with other hardware, too. Modems, graphics
cards...