Old 12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
"John W. Linville"

Default F8: Kernel update = no Wireless

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:18:21PM +0000, Ivan Virgili wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >You put a kernel driver in the old kernel that let's your wireless
> >work. Now you need to get a driver for the new kernel. As of now I
> >haven't found anything the new kernel does better, so just go back to
> >the old kernel for now.
> >
> >Karl
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> I updated the kernel many times without having that problem and without
> installing a new driver for the wireless card. Both are RPM packages
> from Fedora anyway.

Please try the -86.fc8 kernel:

Upstream the "zd1211rw" has transformed itself into the old
"zd1211rw-mac80211" driver, so I dropped the latter and enabled the
former in F8. Unfortunately, before -86.fc8 I neglected to include
a module alias for zd1211rw-mac80211 in zd1211rw. That should be the
only difference between -85.fc8 and -86.fc8. It is unfortunate that
-85.fc8 got pushed out instead of -86.fc8. :-(

Alternatively, you might remove any reference to zd1211rw-mac80211
from /etc/modprobe.conf or anywhere else you might have them and
replace them with references to zd1211rw.

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Ivan Virgili

John W. Linville wrote:

Please try the -86.fc8 kernel:

Kernel -86.f8 installed, computer restarted (using -86.f8 of course) and
everything works fine.

Thank you,

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
GNU/Linux user #292882

Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Ivan Virgili

John W. Linville-2 wrote:

> Please try the -86.fc8 kernel:

Hi John,

I just want you to know that since I installed -86.fc8 my connection info
shows a max speed of 54 Mb/s (that is the max speed of the USB wireless
key), whereas in the past it always showed 1 Mb/s.
In effect, the speed has improved, because it is not limited anymore (my
broadband goes up to 8 Mb/s).
I am not an expert to be able to check why that happened, but I can assure
you that I have not changed any settings on my system at all since I
installed the new kernel, therefore that might have something to do with how
the driver is loaded or something similar, unless some of the updates I
downloaded since have something to do with that.

The above might be not useful information for you, but I thought it was
still worth sending you this email.

Ivan

-----
Ivan Virgili