Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default DHCP even when I set static addresses

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 20:34 -0500, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Peter Lauri wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
> > dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has
> > something like 169.X.X.X
> >
> > Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
> > but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
> > address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
> > that is some internal address I think.
> >
> > Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
> >
> > /Peter
> Hard to say without more information. But it may be NetworkManager
> doing that.
> Try this as root:
> service NetworkManager stop
> service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0
>
> If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make
> disabling of NetworkManager permanent:
>
> chkconfig NetworkManager off
> chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
>
> If that does not do it, please send the contents of your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
You are not only assuming that he is running NM but also that he is
running network. So after he stops NM he has to make sure that he is
running network. Also checking /etc/dnclient.conf might be helpfull.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
"Christopher K. Johnson"

Peter Lauri wrote:

[...]

I his reference to use of 'ifup eth0' and that it initially had the
correct static address as evidence of several things, among them:

- He is somewhat familiar with network configuration via command-line.
- He IS running network in order to get that far.

I did not presume he was running NM, but suggested it as a possibility,
and how to test/remedy that if he was. It seemed likely since a dhcp
lease attempt and zeroconf address assignment were occurring.

--
"Spend less! Do more! Go Open Source..." -- Dirigo.net
Chris Johnson, RHCE #804005699817957

Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 AM
"Aldo Foot"

On Dec 20, 2007 5:34 PM, Christopher K. Johnson <ckjohnson@gwi.net> wrote:

Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
> dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has

> something like 169.X.X.X
>
> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
> but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
> address") it goes from
85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
> that is some internal address I think.
>
> Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
>
> /Peter
Hard to say without more information. *But it may be NetworkManager

doing that.
Try this as root:
service NetworkManager stop
service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make
disabling of NetworkManager permanent:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off

If that does not do it, please send the contents of your

Chris

Isn't NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher stopped by default?
And Network is "on" in a tipical FC8 networked box setup?

I'd check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and make sure you have the line:
*** BOOTPROTO=static
Then turn off dhcpd:
*** chkconfig dhcpd --level 35 off
*let's don't forget /etc/hosts.