Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Chris Jones

Default Use of gsl on x86_64

The advice from that end is tp do what gcc says - compile gsl with
-fPIC. I wondered whether there is a reaction here - could we change the
Fedora build to include this?

You probably need to try your luck on the devel list for this one

fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

cheers Chris

Old 12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Rick Stevens

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 09:57 +0000, William John Murray wrote:
> Hello there,
> I am trying to use gsl on F8 with a third party programme
> 'root' (root.cern.ch) which needs to be compiled. On i686 this was fine,
> but on x86_64 I get:
>
> usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libgslcblas.a(sasum.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/lib64/libgslcblas.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> The advice from that end is tp do what gcc says - compile gsl with
> -fPIC. I wondered whether there is a reaction here - could we change the
> Fedora build to include this?

Uh, did you try linking against the .so library, libgslcblas.so? That's
the shared library version and it should be compiled with PIC.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

For bug reports rather http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Old 12-22-2007, 12:06 AM
"José Matos"

On 21/12/2007, William John Murray <W.J.Murray@rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello there,
> I am trying to use gsl on F8 with a third party programme
> 'root' (root.cern.ch) which needs to be compiled. On i686 this was fine,
> but on x86_64 I get:
>
> usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libgslcblas.a(sasum.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/lib64/libgslcblas.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> The advice from that end is tp do what gcc says - compile gsl with
> -fPIC. I wondered whether there is a reaction here - could we change the
> Fedora build to include this?
>
> Thank you,
> Bill

As far as I remember Patrice Dumas is working on building/adding root
for Fedora, so maybe you should contact him to help with that effort.
:-)

--
José Abílio