Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Akhil Kapoor

Default Fedora Core 6 No More

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:57 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007 11:17 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> > "Rahul Tidke" wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > > I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
> > > applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
> > > updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am doubtful
> > > about continuing its use in future??
> > > I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
> > > (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
> > > My question is
> > >
> > > 1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
> >
> > This is the usually recommended path. I plan to upgrade my .i686.fc6
> > laptop to .x86_64.fc8 just as soon as I finish sorting out all of my
> > server issues from its fc5->fc8 upgrade.
> >
> > > 2) What actually end of life means??
> >
> > It means that RedHat will no longer be providing any more updates of any
> > of the .fc6 RPMs. You are stuck with what you have.
>

> It's means that the COMMUNITY will no longer provide updates
>

> --
> Fedora 7 : sipping some of that moonshine
> ( www.pembo13.com )

Hi I am using FC5 still on my production and test systems. I refrain
from upgrading it. As I do not apply new software is in a stable
environment there is no need to apply any updates even. This was when
FC5 was still supported.

If the need ever arises to update then I shall be considering centos as
they do not change that often.

Akhil Kapoor

Old 12-21-2007, 03:45 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Dec 20, 2007 10:04 PM, Rahul Tidke <rahul@excelize.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
> applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
> updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am doubtful
> about continuing its use in future??
> I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
> (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
> My question is
>
> 1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
> 2) What actually end of life means??
> 3) Can I apply (kernel/software) updates after end of life?
> 4) Is there any security threat?
>
> Thank you.
I've been in this same situation and lately I've grown tired of
constantly updating Fedora systems that, at least on the surface, seem
to work fine. Especially on servers, where users are using very few
GUI programs, the update has no functional benefit.

At the current time, I'm testing the longer-lived linux distributions
on 2 machines. Since I like the RPM system, I stayed in that family.
I've installed CentOS5 and Scientific Linux 5. Both are offshoots of
RedHat Enterprise Linux.

On a user workstation, I do not think I would recommend this strategy
because those distributions lag quite horribly in the introduction of
the "creature features" of the desktop. No Gnumeric, no inkscape, old
R, old firefox, old thunderbird, and on and on. I started trying to
keep track of the applications that I needed to build and or update
for an SL5 system and it has been pretty time consuming.

http://pj.freefaculty.org/ScientificLinux/5

But on a server, where users don't run firefox, inkscape, R or the
like, it seems to me the SL or CentOS is the right approach. These
distributions promise security updates for several years.

But if you keep running Fedora 6, I sorta think you don't need to
worry so much about security in the short term. If you look at the
packages on Fedora 6, many of them are significantly newer than on
CentOS or SL.

The other thing is this. On the system where you want to run the
older Fedora, keep it and secure it. You might just try to turn off
services you don't use and then tighten up the ones you really do
need. It is quite easy to do that once you figure out what you
really need. If you allow logins from only a limited number of IP
addresses, it is easy (very easy) to close off access from all other
locations.

Oh, one more thing. You can always update the kernel without updating
the whole OS. You could just TRY to install a kernel RPM from F8 on
an F6 system. The worst that could happen is that it fails, or
requires some updates you don't want to make. Then you face the
relatively easy task of taking the SRPM for the new kernel that you
want and rebuilding it on your F6 system.

It used to be that there was a "Fedora Legacy" project that would do
this for you, but they disbanded...

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Les Mikesell

"Rahul Tidke" wrote:

I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I have
applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am doubtful
about continuing its use in future??
I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
(enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
My question is

1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
2) What actually end of life means??
3) Can I apply (kernel/software) updates after end of life?
4) Is there any security threat?

If you are happy with the application versions that FC6 included, almost
exactly the same set is included in CentOS 5 which will be supported
with security and bugfix updates for many more years, and the install
and administration is nearly identical. I'd switch anything where having
new features or the latest application versions is less important than
stability and time required for maintenance.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 PM
"Alan"

> "Rahul Tidke" wrote:
>
>> I have been using fedora core 6 in production since its launch, I
>> have
>> applied all the software and kernel updates till data using software
>> updater. As redhat/fedora announced its (core 6) end of life; I am
>> doubtful
>> about continuing its use in future??
>> I am satisfied with the performance so far, iptables and selinux
>> (enforcing/targeted) are configured properly.
>> My question is
>>
>> 1) Shall I continue using this version or shall I upgrade to Fedora 8??
>> 2) What actually end of life means??
>> 3) Can I apply (kernel/software) updates after end of life?
>> 4) Is there any security threat?
>
> If you are happy with the application versions that FC6 included, almost
> exactly the same set is included in CentOS 5 which will be supported
> with security and bugfix updates for many more years, and the install
> and administration is nearly identical. I'd switch anything where having
> new features or the latest application versions is less important than
> stability and time required for maintenance.

The hard part is switching over. It is not quite a straight over upgrade.
(At least when I tried it.) Is there a way to force CentOS to upgrade an
FC6 install?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Michael Peters

On Friday, December 21, 2007, at 08:45AM, "Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been in this same situation and lately I've grown tired of
>constantly updating Fedora systems that, at least on the surface, seem
>to work fine. Especially on servers, where users are using very few
>GUI programs, the update has no functional benefit.
>
>At the current time, I'm testing the longer-lived linux distributions
>on 2 machines. Since I like the RPM system, I stayed in that family.
>I've installed CentOS5 and Scientific Linux 5. Both are offshoots of
>RedHat Enterprise Linux.
>
>On a user workstation, I do not think I would recommend this strategy
>because those distributions lag quite horribly in the introduction of
>the "creature features" of the desktop. No Gnumeric, no inkscape, old
>R, old firefox, old thunderbird, and on and on. I started trying to
>keep track of the applications that I needed to build and or update
>for an SL5 system and it has been pretty time consuming.

I actually have gnumeric/abiword and lots of other goodies built for CentOS -

http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php

That repo is primarily Fedora 8 packages rebuilt in mock for CentOS 5

It's not in the repo I linked above because they *replace* CentOS provided packages, but I also built FireFox 2 and Thunderbird 2 for CentOS 5 -

http://yellowjacketlinux.fileburst.com/yum/yjl/el5/i386/yjl-ff2/repodata/repoview/firefox-0-2.0.0.10-3.el5_1.yjl.0.html
and
http://yellowjacketlinux.fileburst.com/yum/yjl/el5/i386/yjl-ff2/repodata/repoview/thunderbird-0-2.0.0.9-1.el5_1.yjl.html

Thunderbird is a straight rebuild of the FC8 source RPM.
FireFox 2 - I made some very minor changes to the RPM spec file:
http://yellowjacketlinux.fileburst.com/yum/yjl/el5/i386/yjl-ff2/src/firefox.spec.diff

Note that upgrading FireFox results a different gecko-lib.
I had to rebuild the CentOS yelp as a result -
http://yellowjacketlinux.fileburst.com/yum/yjl/el5/i386/yjl-ff2/yelp-2.16.0-15.el5_1.yjl.0.i386.rpm

It's possible there are other apps that use gecko-libs that will cause a firefox 2 upgrade conflict if installed, I haven't yet walked the CentOS repos to see what requires gecko-lib.

Anyway - if they are of any use to you, enjoy.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Les Mikesell

Alan wrote:

[...]

It is theoretically possible using the install disk and the 'upgradeany'
boot option, but I wouldn't even try because of the possibility of
having random leftover packages or settings that will cause
unpredictable problems later. Remember that the CentOS install is going
to be good for years with no attention other than periodic 'yum update's
and is worth the time to get it right in the first place. This is a lot
easier if you have an identical spare machine to build a replacement
that you can tweak and test before swapping into production, but I'd go
that route even if I had to do initial testing under vmware and repeat
the process to convert the existing machine. You'll want a full backup
of course (whether you are doing a conversion or not...).
Clonezilla-live (http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/clonezilla-live/) is
a handy way to make an image-level copy with a choice of ways to access
storage for them (nfs/smb/ssh).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Ed Kasky

At 11:03 AM Friday, 12/21/2007, Les Mikesell wrote -=>

Alan wrote:

[...]

This is the way I originally upgraded from RH6 to FC6. It's just a
little more expensive but I was planning on upgrading the hardware
anyway. That new machine has only been in operation for about a year
and is running like a top - 2 1.8 ghz cpu's, 2 gb ram, Dell raid card
and hot spare.

I think I will stick with FC6 for about 6-12 months and then build a
newer machine...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (86 of 576):
"I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more
to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people
want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get
out of the way and let them have it." --Dwight David Eisenhower

Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:36 -0800, Ed Kasky wrote:

> Has anyone had any difficultes that caused major downtime during an
> upgrade to 8 from 5 or 6?
>
> Are there and special precatutions one should take aside from having

There are those of us that don't advise upgrading at all. When I jumped
from 5 to 6 using upgrade, udev went to hell in a way that never was
fixed. So, I now back up everything worth keeping to a second harddrive
that I only mount for that occasion, and then do a clean install. I do
that every time now, an have far fewer problems in the aftermath. To me,
an upgrade is way too iffy for anyone that isn't just playing around
with their machine. Then you start off with a install that "should" work
(pardon the "should") and if something goes to hell when you restore
from your backup, then you know where the problem lies. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On 12/21/07, Michael Peters <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 21, 2007, at 08:45AM, "Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been in this same situation and lately I've grown tired of
> >constantly updating Fedora systems that, at least on the surface, seem
> >to work fine. Especially on servers, where users are using very few
> >GUI programs, the update has no functional benefit.
> >
> >At the current time, I'm testing the longer-lived linux distributions
> >on 2 machines. Since I like the RPM system, I stayed in that family.
> >I've installed CentOS5 and Scientific Linux 5. Both are offshoots of
> >RedHat Enterprise Linux.
> >
> >On a user workstation, I do not think I would recommend this strategy
> >because those distributions lag quite horribly in the introduction of
> >the "creature features" of the desktop. No Gnumeric, no inkscape, old
> >R, old firefox, old thunderbird, and on and on. I started trying to
> >keep track of the applications that I needed to build and or update
> >for an SL5 system and it has been pretty time consuming.
>
> I actually have gnumeric/abiword and lots of other goodies built for CentOS -
>
> http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php

Goddamnit. I have been repeating your work

http://pj.freefaculty.oorg/ScientificLinux/5

Can you please share your mock confiig file to me? I can't fiind any
docs on howto do that.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Kevin Kofler

Akhil Kapoor <akhil.kapoor <at> homecall.co.uk> writes:
> Hi I am using FC5 still on my production and test systems. I refrain
> from upgrading it. As I do not apply new software is in a stable
> environment there is no need to apply any updates even. This was when
> FC5 was still supported.

And, unless these machines are NOT connected to ANY network, I believe by now
you already have rootkits running on the system and don't even know it. :-/

For a machine connected to the Internet in any way, even indirectly, not
applying security updates is suicidal!

Kevin Kofler