Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Kevin Kofler

Default Fedora Core 6 No More

Michael Peters <mpeters <at> mac.com> writes:
> Much of RHEL/CentOS 5 is derived from Fedora Core 6, so you will find
> yourself quite at home in it, and it will not reach EOL for quite some time.

Be warned though that FC6 (with updates) -> CentOS 5 is mostly a downgrade
though, FC6 got version upgrades after the release, RHEL/CentOS 5 didn't.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Kevin Kofler

Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> But if you keep running Fedora 6, I sorta think you don't need to
> worry so much about security in the short term. If you look at the
> packages on Fedora 6, many of them are significantly newer than on
> CentOS or SL.

Newer doesn't necessarily mean more secure. RHEL/CentOS often has backported
security patches. And they keep getting these, unlike FC6 which is EOL.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Kevin Kofler

Alan <alan <at> clueserver.org> writes:
> The hard part is switching over. It is not quite a straight over upgrade.
> (At least when I tried it.) Is there a way to force CentOS to upgrade an
> FC6 install?

Not really, because several packages are newer in FC6 updates than in CentOS 5
(as RHEL/CentOS rarely gets version upgrades, Fedora often does), and Anaconda
doesn't support downgrades. If you wait for RHEL 6, you may be able to upgrade
from FC6 to that using the "upgradeany" option, but that's going to be an
awfully long wait with no security updates and it'll also be a big jump.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Michael Peters <mpeters <at> mac.com> writes:
> > Much of RHEL/CentOS 5 is derived from Fedora Core 6, so you will find
> > yourself quite at home in it, and it will not reach EOL for quite some time.
>
> Be warned though that FC6 (with updates) -> CentOS 5 is mostly a
> downgrade though, FC6 got version upgrades after the release,
> RHEL/CentOS 5 didn't.

just FYI, there is a CentOS 5.1, which might have picked up a lot of
those upgrades.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Kevin Kofler

Robert P. J. Day <rpjday <at> crashcourse.ca> writes:
> just FYI, there is a CentOS 5.1, which might have picked up a lot of
> those upgrades.

Not really. The RHEL Update releases, which are what the CentOS point releases
are repackaged from, are still a lot more conservative when it comes to new
versions than Fedora is.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-23-2007, 10:03 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day <rpjday <at> crashcourse.ca> writes:
> > just FYI, there is a CentOS 5.1, which might have picked up a lot of
> > those upgrades.
>
> Not really. The RHEL Update releases, which are what the CentOS
> point releases are repackaged from, are still a lot more
> conservative when it comes to new versions than Fedora is.

well, i did say "might have". :-)

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Tim

Akhil Kapoor: <akhil.kapoor <at> homecall.co.uk> writes:
>> Hi I am using FC5 still on my production and test systems. I refrain
>> from upgrading it. As I do not apply new software is in a stable
>> environment there is no need to apply any updates even. This was when
>> FC5 was still supported.

Kevin Kofler:
> And, unless these machines are NOT connected to ANY network, I believe by now
> you already have rootkits running on the system and don't even know it. :-/
>
> For a machine connected to the Internet in any way, even indirectly, not
> applying security updates is suicidal!

That's a little extreme. You'd, pretty much, have to expose a server to
the net to get a rootkit. And you can connect to the internet without
using things that are full of security holes. I've yet to hear of
anyone getting one just by reading e-mail through Evolution, for
instance (not that Evolution *can't* have a security hole, but I've
never heard of it having exploits like that).

I've still got an FC4 box running, it uses fetchmail to grab internet
mail, and dovecot to let other local boxes get their mail. I haven't
seen anything that'll make me believe it's going to have a rootkit
simply because I've still got an old box connecting to the internet.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.