Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 AM
"Jorge Boscan Etura"

Default how to disable system beep

add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

On Dec 16, 2007 1:27 PM, Zacharie Elcor <zelcor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
> disabled at startup.
> I already tried :
> - System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable
> system beep"
> - added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)
>
> The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
> terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
> Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
> When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
> "TERM environment variable not set"
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Zacharie

[Jorge J. Boscán Etura]
quando omni flunkus moritatus

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Wouter Spee

Zacharie Elcor wrote:

Hi all,

Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
disabled at startup.

I already tried :
- System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked
"Enable system beep"

- added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)

The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
"TERM environment variable not set"

Thanks for any help

--
Zacharie

Hi,

You can add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist pcspkr

This will prevent the module from loading at boot time.

To disable the speaker temporarily (untill the next boot) you can just
unload the module by:

sudo modprobe -r pcspkr

So using both would solve the problem immediately and perminantly.

Regards,

Wouter

Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM
"Zacharie Elcor"

YES !!! It works

Thanks a lot

Does anybody knows why "System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable system beep"" doesn't do the trick any more ? it work ed fine on F7 and previous releases

Old 12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 16 December 2007 13:27, Zacharie Elcor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
> disabled at startup.
> I already tried :
> - System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable
> system beep"
> - added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)
>
> The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
> terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
> Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
> When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
> "TERM environment variable not set"
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Zacharie

If you mean the annoying beep when the login screen comes up, I've just fixed
that by adding the following to /etc/modprobe.conf on F8.

install pcspkr /bin/true

See the man page for true. It's a bit sparce, but gives you the general idea.

Nigel.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Konstantin Svist

Jorge Boscan Etura wrote:

add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
disabled at startup.
I already tried :
- System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable
system beep"
- added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)

The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
"TERM environment variable not set"

Is there a way to reduce the volume, instead?