Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 AM
"Angel Apocalyptic"

Default 3D Support for NVIDIA

How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?i
tried using ¨yum install kmod-nvidia¨ command.But as my net is
slow,its showing error.Can any one tell me,how to enable 3D support
for NVIDIA in Graphical mode?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Chris Jones

Angel Apocalyptic wrote:

How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?i
tried using ¨yum install kmod-nvidia¨ command.But as my net is
slow,its showing error.Can any one tell me,how to enable 3D support
for NVIDIA in Graphical mode?

It would help if you actually showed us the yum error you get - without
I can only guess as yo what is wrong.

Note that the yum repositories that have the nvidia driver are NOT
enabled by default in Fedora. You have to first do this yourself - Have
you done this ?

See either, for instance, the livna or freshrpms websites for details.

Chris

Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
"Angel Apocalyptic"

Yum error in terminal is, ¨http://spreader.yandex.net/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
Trying other mirror.¨
It try,but later same error.It cause of my slow net connection,I think.

I am new in Linux Platform.
So,tell me how i will enable nVidia driver from yum repositories ?Please tell me details.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Karl Larsen

Chris Jones wrote:

Angel Apocalyptic wrote:

How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in Fedora?i
tried using šyum install kmod-nvidiaš command.But as my net is
slow,its showing error.Can any one tell me,how to enable 3D support
for NVIDIA in Graphical mode?

It would help if you actually showed us the yum error you get -
without I can only guess as yo what is wrong.

Note that the yum repositories that have the nvidia driver are NOT
enabled by default in Fedora. You have to first do this yourself -
Have you done this ?

See either, for instance, the livna or freshrpms websites for details.

Chris

Another way to get this is to go to the Nvidia web site (Google
nvidia), and find the Linux bash file. It is a binary inside a bash file
and it works just fine on this F8 and my F7 Fedora systems. Not real big
and easy to D/L with slow Internet :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Chris Jones

Angel Apocalyptic wrote:
Yum error in terminal is,
¨http://spreader.yandex.net/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2:

Hmm. Are you aware that is a development repo - Normal users should not
be using that repo (only people who want to test the real cutting edge
unsable stuff). Its not enabled by default, AKAIK, so you must have done
this yourself ?

[Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
Trying other mirror.¨
It try,but later same error.It cause of my slow net connection,I think.
I am new in Linux Platform.
So,tell me how i will enable nVidia driver from yum repositories ?Please
tell me details.

Just follow the instructions here.

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Chris

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
"Angel Apocalyptic"

Cant any one mail me the details?Everyone giving me link just.But nothing i found there.I have installed livna-release-8 before.If possible tell me the instructions,not Link please.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Angel Apocalyptic writes:

Cant any one mail me the details?Everyone giving me link just.But nothing
i found there.I have installed livna-release-8 before.If possible tell me
the instructions,not Link please.

Nope, sorry. If you need personal attention, hire a consultant to help you.
Or, return your laptop, and replace it with one that has Intel or ATI
graphics that are natively supported by Mesa, and do not require any setup
to get accelerated 3D.

Next time, before you purchase any hardware make sure it is fully supported
by free Linux drivers, and does not require any of this nonsense.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 16/12/2007, Angel Apocalyptic <angelsapocalypse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cant any one mail me the details?Everyone giving me link just.But nothing i
> found there.I have installed livna-release-8 before.If possible tell me the
> instructions,not Link please.

Here is a step-by-step guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-fedora8-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200

Old 12-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Karl Larsen

Angel Apocalyptic wrote:
> How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics card in

Fedora?i

> tried using šyum install kmod-nvidiaš command.But as my net is
> slow,its showing error.Can any one tell me,how to enable 3D

support

> for NVIDIA in Graphical mode?

It would help if you actually showed us the yum error you get -

without

I can only guess as yo what is wrong.

Note that the yum repositories that have the nvidia driver are NOT
enabled by default in Fedora. You have to first do this yourself -

Have

you done this ?

See either, for instance, the livna or freshrpms websites for

details.

Chris

OK here you go. First goto the Nvidia web page at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.19.html

and do the things fist and D/L the file:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

You will run this file with ./sh and do this while your not in
X-Windows. It will build you the proper kernel driver and will write a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file that gives you full 3d performance.

Karl

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sunday 16 December 2007 10:28:12 am Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 16/12/2007, Angel Apocalyptic <angelsapocalypse@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cant any one mail me the details?Everyone giving me link just.But nothing
> > i found there.I have installed livna-release-8 before.If possible tell me
> > the instructions,not Link please.
>
> Here is a step-by-step guide:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-fedora8-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200

Angel:
Here's another guide to Fedora configuration that has worked for me:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html

Be sure to read the whole document before you start making any changes to your
system. None of the material that is discussed is essential, and much of it
is only of interest to people with special needs. A good rule to follow
is, "If you don't know what it is, don't do it".

-- cmg