Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 AM
"Brain Centipedes"

Default keep xorg from auto-detecting

Does anyone know how to keep Xorg from auto-detecting video resolution in Fedora 8?
On Fedora 7 I just put the correct video settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything was fine.* But in Fedora 8 it tries to detect my resolution and gets things wrong.* So I edited
xorg.conf, but X is ignoring the settings in the conf file and still trying to detect things itself.* Any ideas?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:40 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 15, 2007 9:09 PM, Brain Centipedes <brain.centipedes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to keep Xorg from auto-detecting video resolution in
> Fedora 8?
> On Fedora 7 I just put the correct video settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> everything was fine. But in Fedora 8 it tries to detect my resolution and
> gets things wrong. So I edited xorg.conf, but X is ignoring the settings in
> the conf file and still trying to detect things itself. Any ideas?

Hi Brain Centipedes!

This is just my first thought - check the permissions of the xorg.conf
you edited (the result) - also check the contents of
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look for (WW) and (EE) lines in particular.
Re-establish your edited xorg.conf - try again - then look.

Good Hunting!

Tod

Old 12-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 23:09 (GMT-0600) Brain Centipedes apparently typed:

> Does anyone know how to keep Xorg from auto-detecting video resolution in
> Fedora 8?

Lots of things in Xorg have changed in the past year, and are still changing.
Some fundamental things have been subjected to radical changes. A year ago,
setting in xorg.conf

Option "NoDDC"

probably would have done it. Now it depends on your particular gfxcard and
choice of video driver whether it might work or not.

> On Fedora 7 I just put the correct video settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> everything was fine. But in Fedora 8 it tries to detect my resolution and
> gets things wrong. So I edited xorg.conf, but X is ignoring the settings in
> the conf file and still trying to detect things itself. Any ideas?

It would help us to know what "right" and "wrong" are for you and what your
hardware is, but start with trying the above option, and also Option
"PreferredMode" "modeyouprefer". Take a look at the command xrandr too.
--
" Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:09:35 -0600
"Brain Centipedes" <brain.centipedes@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I edited xorg.conf, but X is ignoring the settings in
> the conf file and still trying to detect things itself.

Is this an ATI card using the radeon driver? If so, the
current driver will utterly refuse to use user specified
mode lines. I believer there is already an xorg bugzilla
on this (and maybe even an upstream fix that hasn't made
it to fedora updates yet).

Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Mike Chambers

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 21:40 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2007 9:09 PM, Brain Centipedes <brain.centipedes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to keep Xorg from auto-detecting video resolution in
> > Fedora 8?
> > On Fedora 7 I just put the correct video settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> > everything was fine. But in Fedora 8 it tries to detect my resolution and
> > gets things wrong. So I edited xorg.conf, but X is ignoring the settings in
> > the conf file and still trying to detect things itself. Any ideas?
> >
> > --
> >

> Hi Brain Centipedes!
>
> This is just my first thought - check the permissions of the xorg.conf
> you edited (the result) - also check the contents of
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look for (WW) and (EE) lines in particular.
> Re-establish your edited xorg.conf - try again - then look.

Maybe editing it, by running the system-config-display and selecting
your resolution that way?

Or as normal user, select Menu/System/Preferences/Hardware/Screen
Resolution and try selecting that way.

Might help,

--
Mike Chambers