Old 12-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Craig White

Default GDM Greeter Hangs, 92% CPU. Cannot bring up FedoraInfinity Login screen.

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 19:25 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> At some point, I was able to use the GDM login screen with
> fedorainfinity-gdm-theme and doing my normal things with
> fedora for at least two weeks after an install and somewhere
> along the way after a reboot, GDM failed to bring up the
> login screen. Crl-Alt-F1, and logging in a term session,
> running Top - revealed that the gdmgreeter was running
> a full solid 95%
>
> Ok, darn.
>
> I proceeded to use add Enable=True under the [Debug] section
> in /etc/gdm/custom.conf and noticed on a gdm-restart - the debug
> information was spewed in /var/log/messages file. LOTS of debug
> data there. It appears that the debug stops spewing at the greeter
> message handshake - but still running 85% CPU load.
>
> Double Darn. Ok, fine.
>
> The next step was to cd /usr/share/gdm, and look at the default.conf
> file. At line 520:
>
> GrahpicalThemes=FedoraInfinity
> #GraphicalThemes=circles/:happygnome
>
> I commented out 'FedoraInfinity' theme and selected
> the 'happygnome' theme, did a gdm-restart and
> LO' AND BEHOLD!!
>
> The login screen came up!!!
>
> So, before jumping the gun with self-pride.... WHAT THE F*** is
> going ON!?!?!?
>
> Something in FedoraInfinity Theme is causing the gdmgreeter to
> blow up?
>
> Is this a bug or what?
----
I vaguely recollect that FedoraInfinity gdm greeter used getent passwd
to generate the list of users...have you been editing /etc/passwd by
hand? Any problems running 'getent passwd' ?

That's all I could think of...I use kdm

But considering that gdm-greeter and FedoraInfinity is default on a new
install, if there was a problem, it would certainly be in bugzilla...did
you check?

Craig