Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Felix Miata

Default F8 install failure again & again

I've just made my 5th unsuccessful full attempt to install F8 on a 2 PATA
disk i815 Dell PIII 1133 MHz 512M RAM system that has the following fully
functional operating systems:
Debian Etch
DOS
Fedora 6
Fedora 7
Knoppix 4.0.2
Kubuntu 7.10
OpenSUSE 10.0
OpenSUSE 10.2
OpenSUSE Factory
OS/2
SUSE 9.3
WinXP
Xandros 3

On each successive attempt I've added more of the "Overriding Automatic
Hardware Detection" options from docs.fedoraproject.org, the last time using
about 80% of them.

On the first aborted attempts, I was trying to include the various IP
assignments as on "Manually Configuring the Network Settings", but each time
it wanted manual entry of the IP, using the cmdline parameters only for mask,
gateway & dns, then aborted immediately upon completing network configuration.

I gave that up and tried with nothing on cmdline. That got me all the way
through package selection, but then anaconda aborted as soon as told it to
proceed to install the selected packages.

>From then I used as a minimum acpi=off and noapic, and got anaconda to claim
its first successfully completed installation. It couldn't be booted though.
First I had to boot it from F7's grub, since the only locations it had
permitted me to choose from were nowhere and on the mbr. Since MBR is not an
acceptable location for any additional Linux installation, I was forced to
choose nowhere. That boot attempt produced the following:

Waiting for driver initialization
noresume passed, not resuming...
creating root device

That's where it simply stopped.

I got it to boot using the F7 kernel, whereupon I found no eth0 and corrupted
rpm DB. modprobe e100 got me network. After finding 97% of the install log's
entries were rpm errors, rpm --rebuilddb got yum usable for installing the
crucial mc rpm missing from available packages to select from. Next I did yum
update. From then on, I couldn't complete a boot with either of the F8
kernels nor the F7 kernel.

So I went on to try from scratch again, twice, getting similar results both
times. More cmdline options made it even worse. Two more times yet again
anaconda claimed complete, even though it didn't bother installing any
kernel! Right now on tty2 after 5th full try I'm looking at the output of ls
-l /mnt/sysimage/boot, and see only:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root 0 1024 Sep 20 20:21 grub

Right now, cat /proc/cmdline:

noapic acpi=off skipddc nodmraid nofirewire noparport nopcmcia nousb vga=788

Target is Maxtor 20G PATA secondary master 4.8G partition 11 out of 13 total
shared by DOS, OS/2, SuSE 9.3, OpenSUSE 10 & Knoppix. Seagate PATA primary
master has 120G with >16 partitions. Primary slave is ZIP100.

On attempt 4, I tried to install mc and a kernel:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc11 /mnt
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
cd mnt
chroot /mnt

That resulted in too many errors to remember, but it seems package management
is unavailable in chroot.

I'm starting install each time with grub on hda5, specifying
mirrors.kernel.org /fedora/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os as source.

Logs from an early attempt:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-ks-f8-gx150.cfg
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.log
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.syslog
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.xlog

ATM, I'm running a text install using noapic acpi=off, but am not hopeful of
materially different results.

Without making hardware changes, I'm at a loss what else to try. Ideas?
--
" Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:47 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> [...]
> mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
> mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
> cd mnt
> chroot /mnt
>
> That resulted in too many errors to remember, but it seems package management
> is unavailable in chroot.
>
> I'm starting install each time with grub on hda5, specifying
> mirrors.kernel.org /fedora/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os as source.
>
> Logs from an early attempt:
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-ks-f8-gx150.cfg
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.log
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.syslog
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-f8-gx150.xlog
>
> ATM, I'm running a text install using noapic acpi=off, but am not hopeful of
> materially different results.
>
> Without making hardware changes, I'm at a loss what else to try. Ideas?
----
with hardware that's been around that long, you shouldn't have to add
any of those kernel parameters to get install but you might consider
only installing @base (maybe @editors) and keeping it simple because you
can then boot, do a 'yum groupinstall @whatever' afterwards

Craig

Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 16:25 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:47 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>> ATM, I'm running a text install using noapic acpi=off, but am not hopeful of
>> materially different results.

>> Without making hardware changes, I'm at a loss what else to try. Ideas?

> with hardware that's been around that long, you shouldn't have to add
> any of those kernel parameters to get install but you might consider
> only installing @base (maybe @editors) and keeping it simple because you
> can then boot, do a 'yum groupinstall @whatever' afterwards

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried yet again, cmdline text vga=788, then
deselected everything except admin tools, hardware support, network servers.
Still, boot halts with this tail:

Noresume passed, not resuming...
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.

Unless it blew by before I could see it, I'm puzzled why I'm seeing a message
about ata_generic.ko, but not ata_piix.ko, since this is Intel ICH2. Booting
F7 /var/log/messages has ata_piix but no ata_generic. I tried to loop mount
the initrd as tmpfs to see if piix was in it, but the howto I found
http://www.benusa.com/linux/boot.htm doesn't work. :-(

On rescue boot and chroot, lsmod shows ata_piix, and not ata_generic, so it
seems there's some problem getting a good initrd from the installer. Under
chroot I did 'mkinitrd --preload=ata_piix /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8x.img
2.6.23.1-42.fc8'
but using that boot hangs after a bunch of USB messages that followed the
enumeration of sdc partitions and the CD-ROM. :-(

Unless someone has better ideas, maybe after I recuperate some from most of
over 30 hours of only this I'll pull the HD off ICH2, stick it on ICH4, and
see if an install goes more like normal, but I really don't like opening
boxes for stuff like this. :-p

Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 22:02 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/12/15 16:25 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:
>
> > On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:47 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> >> ATM, I'm running a text install using noapic acpi=off, but am not hopeful of
> >> materially different results.
>
> >> Without making hardware changes, I'm at a loss what else to try. Ideas?
>
> > with hardware that's been around that long, you shouldn't have to add
> > any of those kernel parameters to get install but you might consider
> > only installing @base (maybe @editors) and keeping it simple because you
> > can then boot, do a 'yum groupinstall @whatever' afterwards
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried yet again, cmdline text vga=788, then
> deselected everything except admin tools, hardware support, network servers.
> Still, boot halts with this tail:

> Noresume passed, not resuming...
> Creating root device.
> Mounting root filesystem.
>
> Unless it blew by before I could see it, I'm puzzled why I'm seeing a message
> about ata_generic.ko, but not ata_piix.ko, since this is Intel ICH2. Booting
> F7 /var/log/messages has ata_piix but no ata_generic. I tried to loop mount
> the initrd as tmpfs to see if piix was in it, but the howto I found
> http://www.benusa.com/linux/boot.htm doesn't work. :-(
>
> On rescue boot and chroot, lsmod shows ata_piix, and not ata_generic, so it
> seems there's some problem getting a good initrd from the installer. Under
> chroot I did 'mkinitrd --preload=ata_piix /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8x.img
> 2.6.23.1-42.fc8'
> but using that boot hangs after a bunch of USB messages that followed the
> enumeration of sdc partitions and the CD-ROM. :-(
>
> Unless someone has better ideas, maybe after I recuperate some from most of
> over 30 hours of only this I'll pull the HD off ICH2, stick it on ICH4, and
> see if an install goes more like normal, but I really don't like opening
> boxes for stuff like this. :-p
----
you have seen this ?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda

and of course this...
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-scsi-partition-limit

right?

Craig

Old 12-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 20:16 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:

> you have seen this ?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda

> and of course this...
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-scsi-partition-limit

> right?

Sure, but / is on PATA hdc11 with only 13 partitions, so it shouldn't matter.
F7 is on PATA hda11, even though hda has more than 20 total. The
SCSI^H^H^H^Hlibata limitation/fiction shouldn't be impacting this. I need to
find out somehow if ata_piix is ever getting into the initrd.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 22:36 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/12/15 20:16 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:
>
> > you have seen this ?
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda
>
> > and of course this...
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-scsi-partition-limit
>
> > right?
>
> Sure, but / is on PATA hdc11 with only 13 partitions, so it shouldn't matter.
> F7 is on PATA hda11, even though hda has more than 20 total. The
> SCSI^H^H^H^Hlibata limitation/fiction shouldn't be impacting this. I need to
> find out somehow if ata_piix is ever getting into the initrd.
----
I would guess that Alan Cox or someone else who are pretty knowledgeable
about this stuff would have some ideas tomorrow.

Craig

Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 22:36 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/12/15 20:16 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:
>
> > you have seen this ?
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda
>
> > and of course this...
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-scsi-partition-limit
>
> > right?
>
> Sure, but / is on PATA hdc11 with only 13 partitions, so it shouldn't matter.
> F7 is on PATA hda11, even though hda has more than 20 total. The
> SCSI^H^H^H^Hlibata limitation/fiction shouldn't be impacting this. I need to
> find out somehow if ata_piix is ever getting into the initrd.
----
you are referring to PATA hdc11 but there is no /dev/hdc11 on Fedora
8...that's what the link says...they're now all /dev/sdcXX

Craig

Old 12-16-2007, 04:51 AM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 20:54 (GMT-0700) Craig White apparently typed:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 22:36 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Sure, but / is on PATA hdc11 with only 13 partitions, so it shouldn't matter.
>> F7 is on PATA hda11, even though hda has more than 20 total. The
>> SCSI^H^H^H^Hlibata limitation/fiction shouldn't be impacting this. I need to
>> find out somehow if ata_piix is ever getting into the initrd.

> you are referring to PATA hdc11 but there is no /dev/hdc11 on Fedora
> 8...that's what the link says...they're now all /dev/sdcXX

It used to be that PATA was not SATA was not SCSI was not USB, and we could
distinguish which was which by their names. Now since libata, PATA = SATA =
SCSI = USB, and distinguishing which is which in discussion is anything but
easy - unless made easier by referring to them by traditional names, which is
what I did. PATA is no less PATA just because libata wants to call it SCSI.
So, hdc3, even though it doesn't live in /dev on F8, does have a clearly
understood meaning, while sdc3 could mean any of at least 4 things, depending
on what's actually installed and the whim of udev.

If it was up to me, Al Viro and those responsible for libata as SCSI aka
screw backward compatibilty would be shark bait. :-p

Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Alan Cox

> It used to be that PATA was not SATA was not SCSI was not USB, and we could
> distinguish which was which by their names. Now since libata, PATA = SATA =

Trouble is USB is SCSI over a different cable, ATAPI is SCSI over an ATA
cable, SATA is PATA over a different wire and often you can't tell one
from the other (or people use PATA/SATA bridges)...

If your rootfs is labelled rather than /dev/hd* it should all just work,
and it should certainly load the ata_piix module into the initrd.

Can you send me an lspci -vvxxx of the system.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Timothy Murphy

Felix Miata wrote:

> It used to be that PATA was not SATA was not SCSI was not USB, and we
> could distinguish which was which by their names. Now since libata, PATA =
> SATA = SCSI = USB, and distinguishing which is which in discussion is
> anything but easy - unless made easier by referring to them by traditional
> names, which is what I did. PATA is no less PATA just because libata wants
> to call it SCSI. So, hdc3, even though it doesn't live in /dev on F8, does
> have a clearly understood meaning, while sdc3 could mean any of at least 4
> things, depending on what's actually installed and the whim of udev.
>
> If it was up to me, Al Viro and those responsible for libata as SCSI aka
> screw backward compatibilty would be shark bait. :-p

It's true that the new all-is-SCSI system occasionally causes confusion,
but surely the advantage of having one interface vastly outweighs this?

With Linux getting more and more complicated,
it is great that something is simplified for once.

It seems to me wholly in the Unix tradition that "everything is a file".