Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Which format should I use to format external disk?

Dear All,

I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
format should I use to format it?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 PM
"Paul Smith"

> I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
> format should I use to format it?

Would ext3 be fine? If so, how could I mount it?

Paul

Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Karl Larsen

Paul Smith wrote:

I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
format should I use to format it?

Would ext3 be fine? If so, how could I mount it?

Paul

Yes that will be fine. If the HD is in a box with a USB male plug
you then plug that into your computer and it will appear on your Desktop
where you can put things you want saved onto it. Or you can find it
mounted at /media. It will all come to you.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:32:42 +0000
"Paul Smith" <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
> format should I use to format it?

Mine came already formatted as NTFS, but I decided that since I was
backing up a linux system, I'd just feel better if I used ext3,
so I reformatted it to that for no particular technical reason :-).

Note that you can get to NTFS from linux by installing ntfs-3g
and ext2/3 from windows by installing Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/),
so either filesystem can work for windows or for linux.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 15, 2007 9:48 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> > I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
> > format should I use to format it?
>
> Mine came already formatted as NTFS, but I decided that since I was
> backing up a linux system, I'd just feel better if I used ext3,
> so I reformatted it to that for no particular technical reason :-).
>
> Note that you can get to NTFS from linux by installing ntfs-3g
> and ext2/3 from windows by installing Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/),
> so either filesystem can work for windows or for linux.

Thanks to both. I have formatted the external disk with ext3, and it
mounts well. However, when I try to copy something in it, I do not
have permission for that. How can I overcome this? Where should I
change the permissions?

Paul

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Karl Larsen

Paul Smith wrote:

I have bought an external hard disk basically for backups. Which
format should I use to format it?

Mine came already formatted as NTFS, but I decided that since I was
backing up a linux system, I'd just feel better if I used ext3,
so I reformatted it to that for no particular technical reason :-).

Note that you can get to NTFS from linux by installing ntfs-3g
and ext2/3 from windows by installing Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/),
so either filesystem can work for windows or for linux.

Thanks to both. I have formatted the external disk with ext3, and it
mounts well. However, when I try to copy something in it, I do not
have permission for that. How can I overcome this? Where should I
change the permissions?

Paul

If your backing up the whole of your Linux you need root because
many files are owned by root. So use a root terminal and you will not
have any mor problems.

Karl

Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 15, 2007 10:05 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> >> Mine came already formatted as NTFS, but I decided that since I was
> >> backing up a linux system, I'd just feel better if I used ext3,
> >> so I reformatted it to that for no particular technical reason :-).
> >>
> >> Note that you can get to NTFS from linux by installing ntfs-3g
> >> and ext2/3 from windows by installing Ext2IFS (http://www.fs-driver.org/),
> >> so either filesystem can work for windows or for linux.
> >>

> > Thanks to both. I have formatted the external disk with ext3, and it
> > mounts well. However, when I try to copy something in it, I do not
> > have permission for that. How can I overcome this? Where should I
> > change the permissions?
> >
> If your backing up the whole of your Linux you need root because
> many files are owned by root. So use a root terminal and you will not
> have any mor problems.

But I am trying to copy a file not owned by root. Therefore, it should
be possible to copy as normal user.

Paul

Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Paul Smith wrote:

[...]

Tell me more what your seeing. If you use in a terminal the call:

$ cp file /media/xyz

what does the error message say?

Karl