Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Dr P Dupre

Default Grub

Hello,

Can with FC8 address more than 16 partitions with Grub ? In other word
boot a patition /dev/sda16 ?

Regards

Old 12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 18:15 (GMT) Dr P Dupre apparently typed:

> Can with FC8 address more than 16 partitions with Grub ? In other word
> boot a patition /dev/sda16 ?

Grub doesn't know /dev, and so has no limit to the number of partitions it
can access. Grub is perfectly happy to load a kernel from or chainload to
(hd0,62). The Fedora partition limit is in the kernel's device driver system.

What exactly is your goal?
--
" Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Dr P Dupre

Hello,

thank.

When I tried to install FC7 on a disk with more than 16 partition, it
failed because complains at the isntallation. So I had to reformat the

disk. I did not want to have to face the same problem with another
computer with more than 16 partitions. If I remember one problem is
with fdisk and maybe udev.

Regards.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 20:00 (GMT) Dr P Dupre apparently typed:

> When I tried to install FC7 on a disk with more than 16 partition, it
> failed because complains at the isntallation. So I had to reformat the
> disk. I did not want to have to face the same problem with another
> computer with more than 16 partitions. If I remember one problem is
> with fdisk and maybe udev.

AFAICT, Fedora 7+ provides no option for accessing partitions above 15 as
other contemporary distros do. So, you need to either rework your entire
philosophy and implementation of partitioning on those disks, which means
using LVM if you need to carve your disk into logical subdivisions, or switch
to a distro that still supports the traditional 62 partition per ATA disk
limit, such as OpenSUSE or Mandriva.

The limit problem is from neither fdisk nor udev, but the kernel drivers for
hard disks. The default driver system was changed roughly a year ago. AFAICT,
Fedora 7+ doesn't offer the optional legacy disk driver system that other
contemporary distros offer.

If you're up to the task, a third possible option would be to install F7 or
F8 to an accessible partition, then rebuild the kernel to include the
traditional drivers and prefer them to libata.

FWIW, the SCSI system that the default libata drivers use is limited to 14
partitions with filesystems. 0 is the whole disk. 16 is past the limit. One
of the remaining 15 is reserved for the extended container, leaving the
actual place usable filesystems can live at 14.

The legacy system permits 62, same as FC6 and prior. I have several disks
with more than 40.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Alan Cox

> AFAICT, Fedora 7+ provides no option for accessing partitions above 15 as
> other contemporary distros do. So, you need to either rework your entire

No distribution using libata provides this

> FWIW, the SCSI system that the default libata drivers use is limited to 14
> partitions with filesystems. 0 is the whole disk. 16 is past the limit. One
> of the remaining 15 is reserved for the extended container, leaving the
> actual place usable filesystems can live at 14.

Easily fixed but Al Viro vetoed the change so take it up with him. Or use
device mapper, which can do as many partitions as you want.

Alan

Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Dr P Dupre

It seems complicated !!
I do not undertstand, it also seems to be a step back ?
Why was possible with FC6 is not with FC7 ?
I do not have a Raid.
It look like that by default lvm is installed, is it lvm2 (on a FC7) ?
Then it looks that I "only" have to modify the configuration file: /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
Can I have an example ? Or is there a configuration tool ?
Can I have a FC8 running on the first hdx (x < 15), and a FC6 booting on
the sda16 ?
Is there any tool to split in 2 disks (sda and sdb) an unique physical
disk ? Does lvm do it ? If yes, how I do to have sda16 becoming sdb0 ?
By the way, if I remember correctly, I used Parted from a dvd live
(Gparted 0.3.1.1) and

it does not want to create partitions higher sda16.
Is there a DVD live which could do it ?

Thank.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 21:23 (GMT) Alan Cox apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> AFAICT, Fedora 7+ provides no option for accessing partitions above 15 as
>> other contemporary distros do. So, you need to either rework your entire

> No distribution using libata provides this

In current and recent Mandriva and SUSE, libata is

OPTIONAL

I am running:

OpenSUSE 10.2
OpenSUSE 10.3
OpenSUSE 11.0 (Factory)
Mandriva 2008.0
Mandriva 2008.1 (Cooker)

entirely without libata, and so have traditional access to all my >15
partitions per HD, unless booted to F7 or Gutsy.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/15 21:23 (GMT) Alan Cox apparently typed:

> Or use device mapper, which can do as many partitions as you want.

I don't recall seeing that option in F8 Anaconda.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Tony Nelson

At 9:23 PM +0000 12/15/07, Alan Cox wrote:
>> AFAICT, Fedora 7+ provides no option for accessing partitions above 15 as
>> other contemporary distros do. So, you need to either rework your entire
>
>No distribution using libata provides this
>
>> FWIW, the SCSI system that the default libata drivers use is limited to 14
>> partitions with filesystems. 0 is the whole disk. 16 is past the limit. One
>> of the remaining 15 is reserved for the extended container, leaving the
>> actual place usable filesystems can live at 14.
>
>Easily fixed but Al Viro vetoed the change so take it up with him. Or use
>device mapper, which can do as many partitions as you want.

kpartx may do that, reading partition tables and setting up device-mapper
from them. I have not tried it. `yum install kpartx`

Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 AM
"Paderick Lundy"

I have a spare machine and I had heard good things about ubuntu so I decided to download the latest version and install it.** Oh Boy, did I make a mistake.

After trying to start all I receive is this notice GRUB ERROR 15.

I am so tired of GRUB, I know that that message means the GRUB cannot find a file it needs and I DO NOT want troubleshoot this problem.

I have booted or tried to boot to a floppy with fdisk but I still get that GRUB message.* Has this boot loader wiped out the MBR on my 500 GB hard disk?* if not, will someone PLEASE tell me how to remove this albatross from around my neck and how to get rid of this thing so I may install OpenBSD or some other OS.* Needless to say, this has not been a good reintroduction to Linux for me.*

Thanks?
--
Joseph Patrick Ryan

The secret of greatness is simple: do better work than any other man in your field - and keep on doing it.
Wilfred A. Peterson