Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
ftm

Default How to mount an LVM?

I'm having to shift to a new laptop and have removed the drive from the old laptop. In trying to mount the root "partition" I've run into an area of ignorance - how to mount a logical volume so I can extract the data.

Anyone have any quick pointers?

Thanks,

Fred Metcalf

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=227417&topic_id=49403&forum= 10#forumpost227417
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame FredTMetcalf@gmail.com.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Michael Eager

ftm wrote:
I'm having to shift to a new laptop and have removed the drive from the old laptop. In trying to mount the root "partition" I've run into an area of ignorance - how to mount a logical volume so I can extract the data.

Anyone have any quick pointers?

First, run "vgdisplay -v" to check to see if the volume is recognized
and you have LVM installed.

If this shows the volume group and logical volumes, you should be able to
mount the logical partitions: "mount /dev/VolGroup00/whatever /mnt/whatever".

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

Fred Metcalf wrote:
: I'm having to shift to a new laptop and have removed the drive from
: the old laptop. In trying to mount the root "partition" I've run into
: an area of ignorance - how to mount a logical volume so I can extract
: the data.
:
: Anyone have any quick pointers?

I take it that you have installed the drive in a working
system? If so, become the superuser.

The output of `vgdisplay -v' should show you all the
volume groups (VG) on your system, the physical volumes
(PV) to which each group is associated, and the logical
volumes (LV) that each VG contains.

>From this you can tell what VG are on the laptop disk,
assuming you know what it's PV name is---typically its
the device name.

The LV within the volume group must be "active" in order
to mount them. Look at the output of `ls -l /dev/mapper'
to see if the LV for your laptop VG appear. /dev/mapper
contains names of the form

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 2007-12-15 11:05 vg02-lv00

where "vg02" is the VG name and lv00 is the LV name.
Your names will probably be more descriptive than mine.

If your laptop VG-LV appear, then you should be able to
just mount each with a command like

# mount /dev/mapper/vg02-lv00 /mount_point

where /mount_point is the path to an empty directory.

One of the LV (I suppose) contains your laptop root.

In case the LV don't appear in /dev/mappper, then you can
active them with

# vgchange -a y /dev/vg02

Now, if all is well, the LV for vg02 should appear in
/dev/mapper and you can mount them.

Dean

Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
offset

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:33:19PM +0100, ftm wrote:
> I'm having to shift to a new laptop and have removed the drive from the old laptop. In trying to mount the root "partition" I've run into an area of ignorance - how to mount a logical volume so I can extract the data.
>
> Anyone have any quick pointers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred Metcalf

Scan for PV's on the new system, note the vg name you need
pvscan

Activate the VG in question
vgchange -a y VGNAME

display/mount as normal