-   -   Copying DVDs (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/20100-copying-dvds.html)

"Oliver Ruebenacker" 12-15-2007 01:45 PM

Copying DVDs

Dear friends,

How can you in Fedora 7:

- Probe whether your CD drive can write to DVDs before buying DVDs
- Combine two movies, on two DVDs, to one DVD

Thanks a lot!

Take care
Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Post-Doc Researcher
Center for Cell Analysis and Modelling

"Paul Smith" 12-15-2007 06:04 PM

Copying DVDs

On Dec 15, 2007 2:45 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can you in Fedora 7:
>
> - Probe whether your CD drive can write to DVDs before buying DVDs
> - Combine two movies, on two DVDs, to one DVD

Q1: try to use a RW dvd to check whether you can copy in it the F8
dvd, for instance;

Q2: what is the format of your two movies?

Paul

John Summerfield 12-15-2007 10:32 PM

Copying DVDs

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

- Combine two movies, on two DVDs, to one DVD

The only time I copied a DVD was to a file so I could play it without
the media in the drive (so I could use the driver for other purposes).

The file as around 7 Gbytes. Combining two of these would depend on how
big the second is;-)

As Paul suggests, "it depends."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Marc Wilson 12-16-2007 01:57 AM

Copying DVDs

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 09:45:12AM -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> How can you in Fedora 7:
> - Probe whether your CD drive can write to DVDs before buying DVDs

No need. No CD drive can write to DVD's. Now, before you whine about how
that's not what you meant, if you want to know, why don't you read the
drive's specifications?

--
Marc Wilson | Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery.
msw@cox.net |

"Oliver Ruebenacker" 12-16-2007 01:53 PM

Copying DVDs

On Dec 15, 2007 9:57 PM, Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 09:45:12AM -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> > How can you in Fedora 7:
> > - Probe whether your CD drive can write to DVDs before buying DVDs
>
> No need. No CD drive can write to DVD's. Now, before you whine about how
> that's not what you meant, if you want to know, why don't you read the
> drive's specifications?

How can I find the specifications?

"Oliver Ruebenacker" 12-16-2007 02:09 PM

Copying DVDs

Dear friends,

On Dec 15, 2007 2:04 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> Q1: try to use a RW dvd to check whether you can copy in it the F8
> dvd, for instance;

I inserted an empty DVD-R. The drive kept spinning and making
unusual noises, and the system did not recognize the presence of a
disc. Does that mean that it can not write to DVD?

> Q2: what is the format of your two movies?

I don't know. All I know is that I have two disks which I can play,
for example on my Windows machine with Windows Media Player, and each
contains a movie of about twenty minutes. Unfortunately, the drive on
my Windows machine can only read, and not write DVDs. When I insert
the disc in my Fedora 7 laptop, it starts Totem, which then complains
it does not have the appropriate plugins to handle the disc.

When I open Fedora menu > Places > MY_DVD, I see two directories
called AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS is empty, and VIDEO_TS contains
the files VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.BUP,
VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, each of which is listed as
having an unknown file type and an unknown modification date.

Take care
Oliver