Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default easy way to install older automake-1.9?

i'm trying to build a software package that specifically requests
automake-1.9, when my f8 system is already up to 1.10. i can hack the
Makefile, but is there a relatively painless way to simultaneously
install automake-1.9 on this system just to get around this for the
time being? it's not my preferred way to deal with the problem, but
i'm willing to do it as a temporary workaround. thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 15/12/2007, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> i'm trying to build a software package that specifically requests
> automake-1.9, when my f8 system is already up to 1.10. i can hack the
> Makefile, but is there a relatively painless way to simultaneously
> install automake-1.9 on this system just to get around this for the
> time being? it's not my preferred way to deal with the problem, but
> i'm willing to do it as a temporary workaround. thanks.

Presumably you could take the RPM spec file for eg. automake17 and
adjust that for automake-1.9 relatively painlessly. I am actually
surprised there is automake18 and automake19 in the repos.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 15/12/2007, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/12/2007, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > i'm trying to build a software package that specifically requests
> > automake-1.9, when my f8 system is already up to 1.10. i can hack the
> > Makefile, but is there a relatively painless way to simultaneously
> > install automake-1.9 on this system just to get around this for the
> > time being? it's not my preferred way to deal with the problem, but
> > i'm willing to do it as a temporary workaround. thanks.
>
> Presumably you could take the RPM spec file for eg. automake17 and
> adjust that for automake-1.9 relatively painlessly. I am actually
> surprised there is automake18 and automake19 in the repos.

s/is/isn't/

Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Todd Zullinger

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm trying to build a software package that specifically requests
> automake-1.9, when my f8 system is already up to 1.10. i can hack the
> Makefile, but is there a relatively painless way to simultaneously
> install automake-1.9 on this system just to get around this for the
> time being? it's not my preferred way to deal with the problem, but
> i'm willing to do it as a temporary workaround. thanks.

If you patch the source to accept automake-1.10 and verify that things
work well with it, then you could send that upstream. Many projects
simply haven't updated their autoconf/automake files to recognize and
use automake-1.10 yet. Unless there is some specific reason the
software doesn't accept 1.10, that's what I would do.