Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 AM
John Summerfield

Default Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

Simon Slater wrote:

Hi all,

Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far. Done!
Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
everything else. All mail is done through another box. This is not a
problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.

If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
an alternative.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 AM
"Ed Kasky"

On 14/Dec/2007 21:37 John Summerfield wrote ..
> Simon Slater wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
> > a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
> > a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far. Done!
> > Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
> > in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
> > everything else. All mail is done through another box. This is not a
> > problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.
> >

> If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
> natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
> that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
> an alternative.

The one time I had this problem, it was related to a fully non-fiunctioning DNS...

HTH

Ed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small package.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 AM
John Summerfield

Simon Slater wrote:

Hi all,

Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far. Done!
Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
everything else. All mail is done through another box. This is not a
problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.

If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
an alternative.

The one time I had this problem, it was related to a fully non-fiunctioning DNS...

Exactly, but it makes a fine excuse to spend some delightful time with
friends. Tea and cake taken with friends, what could be better?

Old 12-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:31:33 +0900
John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Tea and cake taken with friends, what could be better?

Beer and pretzels?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
"David L. Gehrt"

> Hi all,
>
> Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
> a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7
> on a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far.
> Done! Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is
> ... finished in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less
> than 2 minutes for everything else. All mail is done through another
> box. This is not a problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea
> and get a slice of cake.

I have had some success in analogous situations adding hosts and IPs in
the hosts file along with localhost info, and making sure the
nsswitch.conf has "files" before "dns" on the "hosts:" line.

I do not use db (database) files or flavor of nis so the hosts line in
my nsswitch.conf file is just:

hosts: files dns

However it is possible that the problem is some change in the sendmail
configuration files after an upgrade so you may want to look at your
sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc files in /etc/mail to make sure nothing has
changed.

dlg

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Ed Kasky

At 11:31 PM Friday, 12/14/2007, John Summerfield wrote -=>

Simon Slater wrote:

[...]

I don't think it would be appropriate to post here ;-)

Ed

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly Generated Quote (41 of 1319):
"Be sincere; be brief; be seated." --Franklin D. Roosevelt

Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Bob Kinney

--- John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Simon Slater wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
> > a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
> > a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far. Done!
> > Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
> > in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
> > everything else. All mail is done through another box. This is not a
> > problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.
> >

> If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
> natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
> that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
> an alternative.
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> John

I have had that problem, too. It seems that sendmail requires a complete
hostname (with a domain) and sort of sits on its hands for a long time
before timing out and continuing.

So in my case, I named the computer "name.localdomain", and updated the entry
in /etc/hosts for my machine to
127.0.0.1name.localdomain name localhost.localdomain localhost
where the last 3 items are aliases and thus will work for probably any
program's needs.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Bob Kinney

--- John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Simon Slater wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. When booting sendmail takes
> > a very long time to start. This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
> > a new laptop. I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far. Done!
> > Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
> > in ... 4 minutes. The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
> > everything else. All mail is done through another box. This is not a
> > problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.
> >

> If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
> natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
> that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
> an alternative.
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> John

I have had that problem, too. It seems that sendmail requires a complete
hostname (with a domain) and sort of sits on its hands for a long time
before timing out and continuing.

So in my case, I named the computer "name.localdomain", and updated the entry
in /etc/hosts for my machine to
127.0.0.1 name.localdomain name localhost.localdomain localhost
where the last 3 items are aliases and thus will work for probably any
program's needs.

--bc

Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
John Summerfield

Simon Slater wrote:

A New Year's resolution!

U in the Burwood area?

For the test of the world, it's been fairly wet in the Eastern States as
we call them. (which is better, drought or flood?) There won't be any
bushfires for a week or three, and unless things improve, the Indians
aren't going to get much of a workout.

Merry Christmas, and don;t drown in the floodwaters!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Simon Slater

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 22:07 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Simon Slater wrote:
> > A New Year's resolution!
>
> U in the Burwood area?
Swan Hill

> For the test of the world, it's been fairly wet in the Eastern States as
> we call them. (which is better, drought or flood?)
Nature's cycle - just need to overcome. What's the saying ...
forewarned is forearmed.
> There won't be any
> bushfires for a week or three, and unless things improve, the Indians
> aren't going to get much of a workout.
>
> Merry Christmas, and don;t drown in the floodwaters!
We bought a house near the top of the hill, so the 1-in-100 year flood
will get the main street wet yet we should be okay. Moor a boat to the
mailbox maybe.

Merry Christmas to all.

--
Regards