Old 12-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Gene Heskett

Default F8 install failure at xinit

Greetings all;

I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
am now.

Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
install, 1266 packages IIRC.

At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:

xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm

It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass checksum,
and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
there according to the traffic on my router.

Next?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:41 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
> installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
> am now.
>
> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>
> At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
>
> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass checksum,
> and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
> there according to the traffic on my router.
>
> Next?
----
Personally, I'd start over.

you probably could do a reboot with all the same install parameters and
it would probably continue on from where it left off, you could probably
do a linux rescue boot, chroot, manually finish (at least 'yum
groupupdate Base') and run grub-install but I would want a new/clean
install to start with disrepair.

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 14 December 2007, Craig White wrote:
>On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:41 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
>> controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with
>> FC6 installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to
>> Fc6 as I am now.
>>
>> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
>> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>>
>> At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
>>
>> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>>
>> It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass
>> checksum, and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of
>> its info from there according to the traffic on my router.
>>
>> Next?
>
>----
>Personally, I'd start over.
>
>you probably could do a reboot with all the same install parameters and
>it would probably continue on from where it left off, you could probably
>do a linux rescue boot, chroot, manually finish (at least 'yum
>groupupdate Base') and run grub-install but I would want a new/clean
>install to start with disrepair.
>
>Craig

I just found a newer bios for my now elderly Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo, and will
put that in first & then try it tomorrow when the old fart is a little
fresher. Hopefully that will make an offboard /boot partition possible.

Thanks Craig.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 AM
David Boles

Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 00:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 14 December 2007, Craig White wrote:
> >On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:41 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings all;
> >>
> >> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> >> controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with
> >> FC6 installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to
> >> Fc6 as I am now.
> >>
> >> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> >> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
> >>
> >> At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
> >>
> >> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
> >>
> >> It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass
> >> checksum, and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of
> >> its info from there according to the traffic on my router.
> >>
> >> Next?
> >
> >----
> >Personally, I'd start over.
> >
> >you probably could do a reboot with all the same install parameters and
> >it would probably continue on from where it left off, you could probably
> >do a linux rescue boot, chroot, manually finish (at least 'yum
> >groupupdate Base') and run grub-install but I would want a new/clean
> >install to start with disrepair.
> >
> >Craig
>
> I just found a newer bios for my now elderly Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo, and will
> put that in first & then try it tomorrow when the old fart is a little
> fresher. Hopefully that will make an offboard /boot partition possible.
----
where the /boot partition is located should be of little consequence
because the bootloader code needs to be on the first drive's mbr and
grub can locate a /boot partition in any drive at that point.

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 06:17 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> > controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
> > installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
> > am now.
> >
> > Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> > install, 1266 packages IIRC.
> >
> > At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
> >
> > xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
> >
> > It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass checksum,
> > and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
> > there according to the traffic on my router.
> >
> > Next?
> >
> > Thanks.
>

> If this is an official Fedora 8 DVD an 'everything install' does not
> really install everything. Anaconda only 'knows' about what is on the 3+
> GB disk. If you just let Anaconda do a standard install when it is
> complete and the system is up and running in the 'Add/Remove Software'
> menu selection you are shown the same, or a very similar application
> selection screen. And that, since you are know able to install from The
> Internet, really does offer 'everything'. More than what would fit on
> two full DVDs.
>
> Why do it this way? The 'standard install' works because it was tested.
> There could be no way, or enough time, to test every possible package
> selection for installation.
>
> I do my clean installs this way. A basic install and add the missing
> packages later. It works every time. Plus you get the added benefit of
> not having to install a package and then update. You get the updates, if
> any, installed when you make your selections of packages to add.
----
Fedora 8 (perhaps 7 did too) allows you to add repositories for
additional installation right from anaconda. Not that I disagree with
you but the option is there for those that want to add more stuff on
initial installation.

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 00:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just found a newer bios for my now elderly Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo, and will
>> put that in first & then try it tomorrow when the old fart is a little
>> fresher. Hopefully that will make an offboard /boot partition possible.
>
> where the /boot partition is located should be of little consequence
> because the bootloader code needs to be on the first drive's mbr and
> grub can locate a /boot partition in any drive at that point.

Because Grub uses the BIOS to access the drive, the boot partition
needs to be on a drive the BIOS can access, and located on the part
of the drive the BIOS can access. This may not be the entire drive,
depending on the BIOS. Originally, BIOS limits were the reason for a
separate /boot partition. There can be other reasons to use one now.

Because Gene has another Linux installation, he may want a second
copy of the boot loader on the new drive, and chainload to it from
the original Grub installation.

Mikkel

Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Karl Larsen

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Craig White wrote:

[...]

I have my main Grub still on F7. It is about time to change that so
F8 has the main grub. I have been chainloading F8 since I installed it.
Now I will chainload F7 after I get F8 running.

The chainload of another Grub is very nice. It makes every version
totally independent.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Timothy Murphy

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with
> FC6 installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to
> Fc6 as I am now.
>
> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>
> At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
>
> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass
> checksum, and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of
> its info from there according to the traffic on my router.
>
> Next?

This is a really bad feature of anaconda, IMHO.
I installed Windows XP the other day,
and had exactly this problem.
I took out the CD, and put it in again,
and the installation continued from where it was.
Anaconda seems to have no concept of "try again".

One solution when this happens is to install an absolutely minimal set
(opt for Custom Install and choose almost nothing)
and then run "yum groupinstall ...".

Another solution is to get the KDE Live CD,
and use that to install from DVD.
I only have a sample size of 2,
but this seemed to be more reliable that installing directly from the DVD.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 PM
David Boles

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 06:17 -0500, David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
>>> controller. I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
>>> installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
>>> am now.
>>>
>>> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
>>> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>>>
>>> At the 805th package it bailed out. The package was:
>>>
>>> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>>>
>>> It either could not be opened or was missing. The media did pass checksum,
>>> and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
>>> there according to the traffic on my router.
>>>
>>> Next?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> If this is an official Fedora 8 DVD an 'everything install' does not
>> really install everything. Anaconda only 'knows' about what is on the 3+
>> GB disk. If you just let Anaconda do a standard install when it is
>> complete and the system is up and running in the 'Add/Remove Software'
>> menu selection you are shown the same, or a very similar application
>> selection screen. And that, since you are know able to install from The
>> Internet, really does offer 'everything'. More than what would fit on
>> two full DVDs.
>>
>> Why do it this way? The 'standard install' works because it was tested.
>> There could be no way, or enough time, to test every possible package
>> selection for installation.
>>
>> I do my clean installs this way. A basic install and add the missing
>> packages later. It works every time. Plus you get the added benefit of
>> not having to install a package and then update. You get the updates, if
>> any, installed when you make your selections of packages to add.
> ----
> Fedora 8 (perhaps 7 did too) allows you to add repositories for
> additional installation right from anaconda. Not that I disagree with
> you but the option is there for those that want to add more stuff on
> initial installation.

I was aware of that feature also. I did not mention it because it takes
a little planning, you have to find and write down the URL path, and not
just put a check mark in a box. I have done this and it does work. Quite
well actually. But as I said Craig it takes a little more effort than I
see many making before they start. ;-)

- --

David