Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default alternative to netstat

>From time to time people ask how does one know which sockets are being
listened to and people answer with a form of netstat whose parameters I
can never remember.

The fact that people don't suggest the program ss indicates that they
never heard of it. If you've heard of it great for you. Don't jump on
me.

try: ss -l and ss-l -n and you will never go back to netsat for this
purpose. ss has other parameters that are equally interesting. I found
it while mistyping ssh.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
"Duncan Berriman"

That is useful. If only I can remember it next time I need it!

Thanks
Duncan

believed to be clean.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 PM
John Summerfield

Aaron Konstam wrote:

From time to time people ask how does one know which sockets are being

listened to and people answer with a form of netstat whose parameters I
can never remember.

The fact that people don't suggest the program ss indicates that they
never heard of it. If you've heard of it great for you. Don't jump on
me.

try: ss -l and ss-l -n and you will never go back to netsat for this
purpose. ss has other parameters that are equally interesting. I found
it while mistyping ssh.

One reason _I_ mever heard of it is that it's not installed here[1].
What package is it in?

nahant-clone, tikanga-clone. My Fedora systems's down atm.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 06:18 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>From time to time people ask how does one know which sockets are being
> > listened to and people answer with a form of netstat whose parameters I
> > can never remember.
> >
> > The fact that people don't suggest the program ss indicates that they
> > never heard of it. If you've heard of it great for you. Don't jump on
> > me.
> >
> > try: ss -l and ss-l -n and you will never go back to netsat for this
> > purpose. ss has other parameters that are equally interesting. I found
> > it while mistyping ssh.
>
> One reason _I_ mever heard of it is that it's not installed here[1].
> What package is it in?
iproute-2.6.20-2.fc7

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
John Summerfield

Aaron Konstam wrote:

One reason _I_ mever heard of it is that it's not installed here[1].
What package is it in?

iproute-2.6.20-2.fc7

Ah. It is installed, it's in /usr/sbin.

Don't forget netstat yet, it's in /bin where ordinary users can use it,
and it's available before /usr is mounted.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >

> >> One reason _I_ mever heard of it is that it's not installed here[1].
> >> What package is it in?
> > iproute-2.6.20-2.fc7
>
> Ah. It is installed, it's in /usr/sbin.
>
> Don't forget netstat yet, it's in /bin where ordinary users can use it,
> and it's available before /usr is mounted.

Good point but I still have a hard time remember the parameters. In fact
I have a file that reminds me what they are.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
"Michael Weiner"

On Dec 15, 2007 9:21 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >

> >> One reason _I_ mever heard of it is that it's not installed here[1].

> >> What package is it in?
> > iproute-2.6.20-2.fc7
>
> Ah. It is installed, it's in /usr/sbin.
>
> Don't forget netstat yet, it's in /bin where ordinary users can use it,

> and it's available before /usr is mounted.

ss is a great suggestion thanks, but doesnt seem to present as much information as a simple

netstat -a | grep LISTEN

does, and is not on all systems. But definitely good information.

Just my 2 pesos

Michael

Old 12-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:21 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I still have a hard time remember the parameters. In fact
> I have a file that reminds me what they are.

So do I, man netstat. ;-) But being serious, if you always issued the
same parameters, you could alias your command.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.