Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
"James McManus"

Default fc8 package manager

Since installing fc8, I have been having problems with the package manager. Sometimes when I uninstall a package it will require me to remove other packages, that the package I am removing uses, but that are not dependent on that package. For instance if I try and remove Grass, it will tell me that I also have to remove GDAL. Grass uses GDAL to read and write files, so it has to be installed for Grass to work properly. However, GDAL is a stand alone package, and does not need Grass to work. In fact a lot of other packages, such as Mapserver, uses GDAL, so it would create problems for those packages, if I removed it. I did not have this problem in previous versions of Fedora. What has happened to fc8?

Jim

Old 12-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 09:10 -0500, James McManus wrote:
> Since installing fc8, I have been having problems with the package
> manager. Sometimes when I uninstall a package it will require me to
> remove other packages, that the package I am removing uses, but that
> are not dependent on that package. For instance if I try and remove
> Grass, it will tell me that I also have to remove GDAL. Grass uses
> GDAL to read and write files, so it has to be installed for Grass to
> work properly. However, GDAL is a stand alone package, and does not
> need Grass to work. In fact a lot of other packages, such as
> Mapserver, uses GDAL, so it would create problems for those packages,
> if I removed it. I did not have this problem in previous versions of
> Fedora. What has happened to fc8?
>
> Jim
Use rpm -e to remove Grass not yum.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
"James McManus"

It was grass-libs that required gdal to be removed.* When I installed gdal it require grass-libs this make sense.

Jim