Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 AM
vinod gullu

Default Boot problem

Hello,
I had FC4 and Win-XP installed on my laptop. Now was
trying to use the same laptop HD through USB on other
system with USB as the 1st boot option for booting.
But The booting gave error after the GRUB menu screen.
It says error 5: wrong partitioning table....Waht
could be the solution to rectify this.
Kind regards,

Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

vinod gullu wrote:
> Hello,
> I had FC4 and Win-XP installed on my laptop. Now was
> trying to use the same laptop HD through USB on other
> system with USB as the 1st boot option for booting.
> But The booting gave error after the GRUB menu screen.
> It says error 5: wrong partitioning table....Waht
> could be the solution to rectify this.
> Kind regards,

Some more detail would help. Do you get the error before or after
selecting from the menu? If after selecting from the menu, are you
trying to boot Windows or Linux? Does the selected OS start to boot
before giving you the error?

In any case, chances are good that you will not be able to boot
Windows from the USB drive. Windows is not expecting to on a USB
drive, and will be using the wrong drivers to access the file
system. Linux will have the same problem, but that can be fixed by
building a new initrd, replacing the IDE/SATA driver with the
usb_storage driver. I am not sure, but you may need to add USB
drivers as well.

Mikkel

Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

hello all,

My P-II wont boot all of a sudden.

I've been in the middle of setting it up. Fresh install, updating,
upgrading packages, etc.

I probably wasn't careful enough to reboot after every little change so
I can't pinpoint when the problem started in relation to what I was
doing, just that this morning it wont boot.

Etch, i386

It won't boot in single-user mode.

It will boot to init=/bin/sh, so the LVM dev mapper system is working.

The problem is in the /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh script, it gets an
error when it goes to remount the / fs rw (after the filesystem is
declared clean).

"Cannot change data mode or remount
mount / not mounted already or bad option".

Unfortunatly, the script doesn't stop the booting process when it can't
mount / rw so it goes along and things don't work because / isn't
mounted rw.

I can manually mount / rw with:

3 mount -n -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/raid--1-root /

Note on the device name: this is LVM over hardware raid. The hardware
raid1 looks like a scsi disk (I forget if its sda or sdb), as does the
hardware raid0.

/ is unencrypted, while others (e.g. home, /var/tmp, /var/local) are
encrypted. That part works fine.

I tidied up /etc/fstab (which looked like a dog's breakfast) last night,
but it still looks OK to me. I didn't change the options, just tried to
line up the columns a bit.

Is mount sensitive to mixed spaces and tabs in fstab?

Any suggestions?

Doug.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 02:12:53PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> The problem is in the /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh script, it gets an
> error when it goes to remount the / fs rw (after the filesystem is
> declared clean).
>
> "Cannot change data mode or remount
> mount / not mounted already or bad option".
>
> Unfortunatly, the script doesn't stop the booting process when it can't
> mount / rw so it goes along and things don't work because / isn't
> mounted rw.
>
> I can manually mount / rw with:
>
> 3 mount -n -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/raid--1-root /

I added a script to /etc/rcS.d that runs this immediatly after the
S10checkroot.sh script, just so that I can get the machine up.

> I tidied up /etc/fstab (which looked like a dog's breakfast) last night,
> but it still looks OK to me. I didn't change the options, just tried to
> line up the columns a bit.

Here's my fstab:

#

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/mapper/raid--1-root / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=journal 0 1

#/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
LABEL=boot /boot ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2

/dev/mapper/raid--0-home_crypt /home ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
/dev/mapper/raid--1-usr /usr ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
/dev/mapper/raid--1-var /var ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
/dev/mapper/raid--1-var--local_crypt /var/local ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
/dev/mapper/raid--0-var--tmp_crypt /var/tmp ext3 defaults,data=journal 0 2
/dev/mapper/raid--1-swap_crypt none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Jack Lauman

I've got an older Tyan Tiger 240 (dual P3 M/B) using a Creative I/O
SA3114-4R (4-port SATA card).

Fedora 9 installs without a problem but can't find the boot sector on a
restart.

Does anyone know if this combination will work? (The boards old but it's
been a good web server)

Jack

Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
"Steve Repo"

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Jack Lauman <jlauman@nwcascades.com> wrote:
> I've got an older Tyan Tiger 240 (dual P3 M/B) using a Creative I/O
> SA3114-4R (4-port SATA card).
>
> Fedora 9 installs without a problem but can't find the boot sector on a
> restart.
>
> Does anyone know if this combination will work? (The boards old but it's
> been a good web server)

If you were able to install it it should be fine. I figure it may not
be finding the drivers for your card.

Can you post dmesg?

Steve

Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Alexander Apprich

what does your /boot/grub/grub.conf look like??

i have a PATA and SATA in one system and after the install
grub twisted the order of the harddisks...

Alex
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Jack Lauman wrote:
> I've got an older Tyan Tiger 240 (dual P3 M/B) using a Creative I/O
> SA3114-4R (4-port SATA card).
>
> Fedora 9 installs without a problem but can't find the boot sector on a
> restart.
>
> Does anyone know if this combination will work? (The boards old but it's
> been a good web server)
>
> Jack

Dumb question - is there a partition marked as bootable? (Preferably
the /boot partition? Some BIOS have a problem if there is not a
bootable partition.

Mikkel

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Mike Alterman

I installed Linux on a 2nd drive. This box is currently running win2K.
Downloaded the 1st dvd image file and created boot and root floppies.

The boot floppy proved to be defective - image. Downloaded the boot
image from

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/
created the boot floppy again - it worked.

Moved on to the root floppy - created from root.img on dvd - didn't work.
Downloaded from the path listed above. and used rawrite.exe to create
the floppy.

During execution, there were numerous data CRC errors and the overall
boot process failed.

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r6 "Etch" - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20081219-15:45 is the official title of the dvd.

Any assistance to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Alterman

Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Mike Alterman wrote:
> I installed Linux on a 2nd drive. This box is currently running win2K.
> Downloaded the 1st dvd image file and created boot and root floppies.
>
> The boot floppy proved to be defective - image. Downloaded the boot
> image from
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/
> created the boot floppy again - it worked.
>
> Moved on to the root floppy - created from root.img on dvd - didn't work.
> Downloaded from the path listed above. and used rawrite.exe to create
> the floppy.

Is there any reason you need to boot off flopies? Can't you boot that
DVD (it should work), or boot from an USB drive?

--
Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.
-- Erma Bombeck

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb