Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 AM
"Paul Johnson"

Default usb flash disk, ext3 file systems, enforcing rights, security

On 12/11/07, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > How do you secure privacy of files on a USB stick?
>
> encrypt the filesystem,

Problem seemms to be that using ext3 or encryption wears out a usb
drive more quickly. I'm just going by posts to this list which say
vfat is best because it does not make as many fdisk accesses (atime,
etc). So i need to learn more on encryption if vfat , if that's
possible

> > I thought I could fix that by putting on an ext3 file system. But it
> > doesn't help. Windows users with IExplore can see all the files, no
> > matter who owns them.
>
> really? Did you add ext3 support to Windows? if not, then my next guess
> is that you're confused!

I didn't implement ext3 on windows. This guy did.

http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

With that, the ext3 filesystem is laid bare to windows..

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science