Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
John Summerfield

Default Sony Micro Vault compression in Linux/Fedora

George Arseneault wrote:

I was recently given a 1G flash drive. Sony Micro
Vault model# USM1GJ. Had no problem reading it in FC5.
So far, so good.

But, this drive comes pre-loaded with a compression
program that will allow you to store up to three times
as much information. (Supposedly. Usual caveat YMMV.
Also, does not compress jpg's, mpg's, wma's, zip's,
lvh's, etc. or anything less than 2K) Compressed files
will have the extension .vem. On the disk or
available at
http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/ is the
decompression.exe which will allow you to decompress
these files without using the Micro Vault program.

Has anyone had experience with this in Linux/Fedora?

Does this .exe work in Wine? (I haven't any personal
experience with Wine Yet)

Is there a Linux equivalent application that can
handle the .vem files?

Personally, I'm thinking of just not using the
compression. It only takes up 1.5M, so I can just
leave it/delete everything but the decompression.exe
just in case I need it later.

Most of the stuff you listed that it won't compress is already
compressed. I'd throw in rpms, debs, compressed tarballs, Ooo documents.

I'd not use the compression. I do use these devices, I have three, but I
use them for transporting files, and if they're not alreay compressed,
then creating a tarball directly to the drive works:

mount /dev/sdb2 /media/usbdisk
tar cjf /media/usbdisk/myhome.tar.bz2 ~
umount /dev/sdb2

Adjust to taste. use a GUI if you wish.

For compatibility with windows, use zip instead.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM
George Arseneault

--- John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Most of the stuff you listed that it won't compress
> is already
> compressed. I'd throw in rpms, debs, compressed
> tarballs, Ooo documents.
>
> I'd not use the compression. I do use these devices,
> I have three, but I
> use them for transporting files, and if they're not
> alreay compressed,
> then creating a tarball directly to the drive works:
> mount /dev/sdb2 /media/usbdisk
> tar cjf /media/usbdisk/myhome.tar.bz2 ~
> umount /dev/sdb2
>
> Adjust to taste. use a GUI if you wish.
>
> For compatibility with windows, use zip instead.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John

Thanks for the reply John

Just curious if there's an app that can handle it.
I'll do like you say and delete the files if I need
the space.

Thanks
George