Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM
George Arseneault

Default Sony Micro Vault compression in Linux/Fedora

I was recently given a 1G flash drive. Sony Micro
Vault model# USM1GJ. Had no problem reading it in FC5.
So far, so good.

But, this drive comes pre-loaded with a compression
program that will allow you to store up to three times
as much information. (Supposedly. Usual caveat YMMV.
Also, does not compress jpg's, mpg's, wma's, zip's,
lvh's, etc. or anything less than 2K) Compressed files
will have the extension .vem. On the disk or
available at
http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/ is the
decompression.exe which will allow you to decompress
these files without using the Micro Vault program.

Has anyone had experience with this in Linux/Fedora?

Does this .exe work in Wine? (I haven't any personal
experience with Wine Yet)

Is there a Linux equivalent application that can
handle the .vem files?

Personally, I'm thinking of just not using the
compression. It only takes up 1.5M, so I can just
leave it/delete everything but the decompression.exe
just in case I need it later.

Thanks in Advance
George