Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

dondi_2006 wrote:

Hello,

I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
GeForce6150 chipset.

I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
reverse engineering were enough to make the
open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.

Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
chipset?

Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?

Basically, do I still need today the closed source
drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

Thanks,
D.

The nv in the kernel will Not work properly. If your going to update
your kernel then there should be a update for the Nvidia video also. The
other choice is to get the binary from the web page you show and run
that every time you do change a kernel or a whole system.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

: dondi_2006 wrote:
: > Hello,
: >
[...]
:
: Yes, you need the closed source driver if you want any hardware 3D
: support. There is a project working on open source 3D for Nvidia, but
: they aren't quite ready for prime time.

Even certain 2D applications seem to need the closed-source driver for
best results. For example, ImageMagick's `animate' function (which
takes a sequence of individual images and plays the uncompressed data
at video rate) runs dog slow with the nv driver, but not the closed
source one. I've see other anomalies go away as well.

Does the open source driver have (the equivalent of) TwinView these
days? I need TwinView to make my laptop drive an external projector/beamer.

Dean

Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

> Does the open source driver have (the equivalent of) TwinView these
> days? I need TwinView to make my laptop drive an external
> projector/beamer.

I don't think so. But I couldn't get TwinView to work with the nvidia
driver either. I do get to display, on my hdtv, but I can't clone the
laptop monitor. I get a desktop stretching over both displays, half on
the laptop, half on the tv.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 AM
"Dean S. Messing"

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
: Dean Messing wrote:
: > Does the open source driver have (the equivalent of) TwinView these
: > days? I need TwinView to make my laptop drive an external
: > projector/beamer.
: >
:
: I don't think so. But I couldn't get TwinView to work with the nvidia
: driver either. I do get to display, on my hdtv, but I can't clone the
: laptop monitor. I get a desktop stretching over both displays, half on
: the laptop, half on the tv.

I don't mess with GUI's much so if you are uncomforatble editing your
xorg.conf, just disregard the following.

Following is what I cobbled together for my laptop for doing just what
you want. (Normally one wants a clone, not an extension of one's
desktop when one is using a projector.)

I don't pretend to be an X config expert but the following does
work (for me). More comments after the code.

======= Begin "relevant section of laptop xorg.conf file" =======
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Seiko" # this is the 1920x1080 laptop panel manuf.
HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX Go1400"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "On"
Option "DPI" "100x100"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, CRT"
Option "metamodes" "DFP: 1920x1200; DFP: 1920x1200, CRT: 1024x768"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "clone"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1200" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
======== End "relevant section of laptop xorg.conf file" ========

Here's how this is used:

I normally just run my laptop w/o a second monitor so I have never
booted with a second monitor hooked up. I say this because, based on
some traffic in another thread, if you do boot with the 2nd monitor
hooked up, then the "Fn-CRT/LCD" key may come into play (at least on a
laptop) and with the above setup it does not.

My laptap panel is a 1920x1200 LCD. When I need to make a
presentation I plug in the VGA cable from the projector and hit
"Ctrl-Alt-Fn +" (that's control-alt-Fn `+') to switch modes from the
first metamode (DFP alone) to the second one (DFP, CRT). "CRT" does
_not_ mean you must have a CRT hooked up (contrary to what Lonni
Friedman seems to believe). It is just the device on the other end of
the VGA cable.

If you're using a regular keyboard (not a laptop kbd) then there's
often an explicit keypad with a + and - keys. In that case leave off
the the "Fn" (i.e. "function") part of the sequence above and use the
keypad + and -. The + atop the = will not work here. (See the "Modes"
section of the xorg.conf man page for more on this).

With the above recipe, I see the desktop at full resolution on my laptop
and the upper left 1024x768 rectangle of it on the beamer. To switch
back I use "Ctrl-Alt-Fn -"

If your external device is a modern multisync CRT or another FPD that
can be driven at 1920x1200, then I see no reason that the above
(mutatis mudandis) should not give you a clone of your entire desktop.
Or you can run your laptap at a lower-than-native resolution to match
the output device. That of course will result in a degraded laptop
display due to the resampling that must be done.

One more thing: my xorg.conf file came from running livna-config-display
to get the basic entries right. I then added the TwinView stuff myself
and dorked around till it worked. Of course I also studied the
(excellent) Nvidia driver documentation which you shd. find by running

locate -i nvidia | grep -i readme

from the comline (assuming your "mlocate" database is up-to-date).
On my system this prints:

/usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19/README.Fedora
/usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19/README.txt

The first file is useful basic stuff. The 2nd file is where all the
action is. Spend some time reading it and you will be an expert. :-)

Dean

Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:16:49 -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> [...]
> run your laptap at a lower-than-native resolution to match the output
> device. That of course will result in a degraded laptop display due to
> the resampling that must be done.
>
> One more thing: my xorg.conf file came from running
> livna-config-display to get the basic entries right. I then added the
> TwinView stuff myself and dorked around till it worked. Of course I
> also studied the (excellent) Nvidia driver documentation which you shd.
> find by running
>
> locate -i nvidia | grep -i readme
>
> from the comline (assuming your "mlocate" database is up-to-date). On my
> system this prints:
>
> /usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19/README.Fedora
> /usr/share/doc/xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-100.14.19/README.txt
>
> The first file is useful basic stuff. The 2nd file is where all the
> action is. Spend some time reading it and you will be an expert. :-)

Thank you, indeed nice write-up. At a first glimpse, I noticed
"TwinViewOrientation" "clone" that your xorg.conf has and mine doesn't.
I do have TwinView 1.

The xorg.conf file I have I created with

nvidia-setup

It's pretty good, and I did get to display on the tv, just not clone.
Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 AM
"Dean S. Messing"

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
<snip>
: Thank you, indeed nice write-up. At a first glimpse, I noticed
: "TwinViewOrientation" "clone" that your xorg.conf has and mine doesn't.
: I do have TwinView 1.
:
: The xorg.conf file I have I created with
:
: nvidia-setup
:
: It's pretty good, and I did get to display on the tv, just not clone.
: Thanks for the tips.

Let us know how your configuration turns out and what problems you have.

Dean