Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 PM
John Wendel

Default Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

dondi_2006 wrote:

Hello,

I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
GeForce6150 chipset.

I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
reverse engineering were enough to make the
open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.

Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
chipset?

Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?

Basically, do I still need today the closed source
drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

Thanks,
D.

Yes, you need the closed source driver if you want any hardware 3D
support. There is a project working on open source 3D for Nvidia, but
they aren't quite ready for prime time.

Regards,

John